Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Maybe its already somewhere written but I have question about Great General use. If I want to give all 20 XP to Naval unit (East Indiaman, if exactly), I have to remove all other (land and water) units out of that tile (city or fort) and than it will get all 20 XP without sharing with others units?
Oh, and 2nd question - what is AI bonus against human on Deity level?

Yes, that's right--the GG has to be alone on the tile with one unit if you want all 20 XPs going to that unit.

At Deity level, the AI starts with 4 archers, 2 scouts, 1 worker, and 2 settlers. Also, its costs (units, maintenance, civics, & inflation) are 0.60 compared to the human player's, with the exception of research, where our costs are 1.30. :eek:

Yes, that's right--the GG has to be alone on the tile with one unit if you want all 20 XPs going to that unit.

At Deity level, the AI starts with 4 archers, 2 scouts, 1 worker, and 2 settlers. Also, its costs (units, maintenance, civics, & inflation) are 0.60 compared to the human player's, with the exception of research, where our costs are 1.30. :eek:

Oh, thanks for help... It means also that if there stack of 20 units, each will get only 1 XP? :)

Hmmm... Nice to know... Was sure about starting bonus (these units) but not about what else...
Still - wasn't there any production bonus for AI in later game? (Why I feel I have seen somewhere)

Yes, the XPs get divided between the units and you're prompted for which unit the GG should lead (which gets the other GG benefit of free upgrades with full-preserved XPs).

The production bonus for the AI is that 0.60 production cost and the AI has it from turn 1.

Yes, the XPs get divided between the units and you're prompted for which unit the GG should lead (which gets the other GG benefit of free upgrades with full-preserved XPs).

The production bonus for the AI is that 0.60 production cost and the AI has it from turn 1.

Again - thanks for help. These were things about what I was confused... Trying to "survive" on Huge/Marath/Archip/Deity/18civs with Dutch... But there is 1-2 AI that manage to become far more stronger and attack with Transport&Infantry while I have just Musk&Frigate.... :crazyeye:

Hello,

I'm trying to make a little mod for my own use by just adding some leaders and units.
Adding some leaders I have allready done. But Units seems another thing.
I tried the tutorial found here on the forum but it seems for civ4 vanilla.
When they say to use a copy from from the art/units folder it seems they are not there not in vanilla civ nor warlords nor BTS. I also have tried to find the files for the F-35 I have seen in other mods. Can someone give me some tips on adding units.

Thanks

This is probably already in here, but my search terms aren't bringing it up...
I really liked the feature in CivAssist II for Civ3 that let you plan where to put cities. Is there a way to do that in Civ4? Other features like city growth and production warnings would be nice, too, for minimizing overflow. Some of this may be built in, but I just started yesterday and haven't found it. Any advice?

If you're play the BTS expansion, get the BUG and BULL mods. I think BULL opens up all of the BUG features. With the BUG mod, you get a placing tool which shows the tiles that will be in your BFC (Big Fat Cross), so city placement becomes much easier to work out. :)

Spoiler :

BUG mod also has those warnings, which can be customised to some degree. You can choose which warnings you get, and can sometimes put restrictions on those warning so they only appear in certain circumstances.

If you're playing regular Vanilla Civ4, there is a mod you can get for the warnings. I'm sorry, but I can't remember what its called. I used it before I got BTS, but that was years ago.

This is probably already in here, but my search terms aren't bringing it up...
I really liked the feature in CivAssist II for Civ3 that let you plan where to put cities. Is there a way to do that in Civ4? Other features like city growth and production warnings would be nice, too, for minimizing overflow. Some of this may be built in, but I just started yesterday and haven't found it. Any advice?
Numerous mods have lots of GUI improving features built in, usually coming from BTS Unaltered Gameplay (BUG). But this is only available for BTS to my knowledge, and I don't know of anything similar for vanilla or the warlords expansion.

Overflow is simple however. You no longer lose overflow under normal conditions, so its no longer a problem. They finally removed a lot of the most mind numbingly pointless micromanagement ;)

Is there a way to tell exactly when you joined? Because I'm waiting for my one-month so that I can upload my latest edition of my Narnia mod and completely forgot exactly which day it was.. I just know it's in the next three days, and I'm kinda impatient because I'm really proud of it, if I may say so. :D

Is there a way to tell exactly when you joined? Because I'm waiting for my one-month so that I can upload my latest edition of my Narnia mod and completely forgot exactly which day it was.. I just know it's in the next three days, and I'm kinda impatient because I'm really proud of it, if I may say so. :D

Click on your name above your avatar, then click "View Public Profile". (Or scroll up and click on your name where it says "Welcome, Jwitti.") Then look at the "Mini Statistics" over on the right side of the screen.

...or just unlock the spoiler to ruin the surprise:

Spoiler :
September 11. Which is tomorrow. I guess you've got, like, two more hours. :goodjob:
EDIT: And I can't promise I'll have much of a chance to play it (my already-too-busy life is even more complicated by a move and new job right now), but I'd love to check out your mod. I'm a huge Narnia fan, I was doodling maps for the proper city placement of Beaversdam and Beruna way back in my Civ1 days. :crazyeye:

Click on your name above your avatar, then click "View Public Profile". (Or scroll up and click on your name where it says "Welcome, Jwitti.") Then look at the "Mini Statistics" over on the right side of the screen.

...or just unlock the spoiler to ruin the surprise:

Spoiler :
September 11. Which is tomorrow. I guess you've got, like, two more hours. :goodjob:
EDIT: And I can't promise I'll have much of a chance to play it (my already-too-busy life is even more complicated by a move and new job right now), but I'd love to check out your mod. I'm a huge Narnia fan, I was doodling maps for the proper city placement of Beaversdam and Beruna way back in my Civ1 days. :crazyeye:

It says he joined 12 September for me. Does it have to do with timezones?

Hmm, maybe. I'm blessed to be in the 1/24th of humanity that lives in the same time zone as CFC. :D

It said the 11 for me, but I uploaded it and it... needs to be approved. So I'll re-do it tomorrow.

I must have bumped a hotkey. All the names of the other leaders that normally is on the right hand side of the screen is gone. I cannot talk to them, or trade with them declare war because the interface is gone.

How do I get it back?

**edit**
nvm
:blush:

Mouse over the row of small icons that are in the lower right corner, normally above the list that you are missing. If you do it slowly, you'll get a bubble telling you what each one does. One of them toggles the list off and on.

1. I know it's probably hard to define, BUT........how do you know how many cities you need?? And I've read in a couple of guides 4-6 are adequate - does that include captured cities?

2. And I've read it's possible to estimate a maximum on each cities population, by a happiness 'cap' - how do you know when you're nearing/have reached that?

Thanks folks.

If your cities will be unhappy if they grow again or unhealthy if they grow again then you are at your cap. It's part of the forum slang. You can theoretically grow your cities forever if you have enough food.
I myself am a proponent of REXing (Rapid EXpansion) and have had my best games when I rule half of it, whether by conquest or settling.

When they say 4-6 cities I do not believe they mean to include captured, as most of those players raze enemy cities in favor of settling in more favorable spots.

Top Bottom