Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Any idea if the AI kill off their workers during war? I saw many workers during the war and expected them to be waiting in the last cities as they often tend to do. But nobody were there. Any idea what happened?

Where they at war with anyone else/excessive barbarians?

My vassal was at him too, but he wasn't near where the last battles took place. Not when I saw the workers disappearing anyway. Thought it was strange, and naturally I wanted a pack of free workers.

I've 2 quick questions: Which unit is better at defending at city with a civ that has vassalage enabled:

1) A machine gun or infantry?

2) A machine gun or SAM infantry?

I've 2 quick questions: Which unit is better at defending at city with a civ that has vassalage enabled:

It depends on the attacker and the promotions. In almost all cases the SAM infantry would be worst, but would be better against gunships.

If you really want to know, use the world builder to give the AI 3 cities, and put a machine gun, infantry and SAM infantry (one in each) and you all the various units the enemy has. Then in the main game select each attacking unit, hold down alt and mouse over each city. The odds will be shown, and the one with best odds for the defender is best.

It depends on the attacker and the promotions. In almost all cases the SAM infantry would be worst, but would be better against gunships.

If you really want to know, use the world builder to give the AI 3 cities, and put a machine gun, infantry and SAM infantry (one in each) and you all the various units the enemy has. Then in the main game select each attacking unit, hold down alt and mouse over each city. The odds will be shown, and the one with best odds for the defender is best.

It isn't quite that simple. Remember that as a siege unit, machine guns do not suffer from collateral damage, whereas infantry and SAM infantry will. If your opponent brings along plenty of siege and uses it properly, the MGs might be in better shape after all the barrage compared to the other units mentioned.

Mind you, I find the AI rarely brings along enough siege and rarely uses it properly, so this scenario of MGs outlasting other defensive units of greater strength may only occur in a multi-player game.

Depends on what he is attacking with. However, I've certainly been sold on the power of MGs based on a tactic that Seraiel told me about. They more or less ate up everything that was thrown their way. 7 lost MGs (and 10 injured) to 31 killed AIs, mostly cavalry and cannons, and 10 other cavalry that withdrew before being slain. Not a bad return ;)

Machine gunners can only defend, but are immune to collateral damage from other siege units, which is great if under attack by siege. First strike is also useful, and they have +50% against gunpowder, which you're often up against in that period. Looks like pretty versatile and strong defenders to me. The big negative about them is that they can't attack of course, so can't be turned around on the offensive like infantry can. If you're up against marines they have a 50% bonus when attacking machine gunners, so that could be unwelcome.

I'm probably biased given the recent MG slaughter, but I'd say go with them :p

Think I asked about something similar recently, but when is it best to start adapting your hills to windmills?

Right now it's fairly late game and I'm running Emancipation and Free Markets, so no massive boosts for workshops, watermills or windmills. Changing a mine to windmill will +1 :food:, -2 :hammers:, +2 :commerce:

Commerce and food wise it's obviously a good move, but won't those lost hammers be a nag? In short, would I be better off to convert all mines to windmills, perhaps except in the HE city?

Have noticed the AI builds windmills very early and aplenty, so perhaps that is why I'm reluctant :D

Same with watermills, should one build them basically everywhere it's possible by this stage, even though you're not able to run state property (due to corporations)?

Another one too, probably very newbie-y. What do the stars mean right to some cities. A city has an icon for the religions in it, a small star on the religious icon if it's the holy city, etc. But for some cities there is a star too. What does it mean?

Think I asked about something similar recently, but when is it best to start adapting your hills to windmills?

Right now it's fairly late game and I'm running Emancipation and Free Markets, so no massive boosts for workshops, watermills or windmills. Changing a mine to windmill will +1 :food:, -2 :hammers:, +2 :commerce:

Commerce and food wise it's obviously a good move, but won't those lost hammers be a nag? In short, would I be better off to convert all mines to windmills, perhaps except in the HE city?

Have noticed the AI builds windmills very early and aplenty, so perhaps that is why I'm reluctant :D

Same with watermills, should one build them basically everywhere it's possible by this stage, even though you're not able to run state property (due to corporations)?

I build windmills if the city needs food, or if it is going to be some sort of mega-science city.

Another one too, probably very newbie-y. What do the stars mean right to some cities. A city has an icon for the religions in it, a small star on the religious icon if it's the holy city, etc. But for some cities there is a star too. What does it mean?

Yeah, I don't have a clue.

So you don't build a lot of windmills then I gather? Assuming the food isn't an issue, it's a question of :commerce: vs :hammers: Not sure what is best here, but am thinking about if it would be worth it to convert mines into windmills. I've seen people say it's a good move late-game, but I'm not really sure. With environmentalism it may be a non-brainer, even with railroads, but without it... No idea.

Think I figured out the one about the stars actually. Took a look at the stats screen with world and national wonders. Couldn't see any connection with world wonders, but when looking at national wonders it looks like it's the cities with Forbidden Palace in it. Fits well with the current game anyway.

Think I figured out the one about the stars actually. Took a look at the stats screen with world and national wonders. Couldn't see any connection with world wonders, but when looking at national wonders it looks like it's the cities with Forbidden Palace in it. Fits well with the current game anyway.

That is correct. It should be a silver colored star.

You also get one for Versailles. I think it might be gold/yellow in color (which would presumably be due to it being a world wonder), but don't remember for sure.

In the game I'm playing right now I'm Brennus/Ethiopia and the only other civ on my little continent is Stalin/Mali. I'm trying to get good at early rushes so I was planning on bumping him off. However, given his Skirmishers- and the only Copper on the island being in a reasonable but not very convenient location- should I go ahead and Axerush, or should I beeline IW and go after him with Swords?

One more for later on in this game, regarding Oromos. They come with Drill 1&2, so it's my understanding that any upgraded Oromos will become Drill 2 Rifles, then hold those promos all the way up through Infantry and beyond. Is it a good Ethiopia strategy to get to Gunpowder pretty quickly and then build a massive gaggle of Oromos, just so I'll have an awesome army down the road? (I should have plenty of gold for upgrading, this continent is all cottage land and commerce resources.)

EDIT: Another question, about Stalin. I haven't come across him in many of my games. I know he's not Louis, but given that he's Industrious, should I sit back and wait for him to build a Wonder for me? Or does he usually not bother?

Hey, just got Civ4 Complete and a couple of questions.

1. What version do you guys play? It has Civ4, Warlords and Beyond The Sword on my desktop; I went with BTS but which one is more popular online?

2. What difficulty is good to play with? I don't like playing on easy, even when learning things since I don't mind losing (in fact it's fun to get slaughtered and try again behehe); but the higher difficulties effect A.I. behavior and bonuses right? Just curious what most of you guys sit on, maybe the higher difficulties make the A.I. ******ed\obnoxious so figured worth asking.

Hey, just got Civ4 Complete and a couple of questions.

1. What version do you guys play? It has Civ4, Warlords and Beyond The Sword on my desktop; I went with BTS but which one is more popular online?

2. What difficulty is good to play with? I don't like playing on easy, even when learning things since I don't mind losing (in fact it's fun to get slaughtered and try again behehe); but the higher difficulties effect A.I. behavior and bonuses right? Just curious what most of you guys sit on, maybe the higher difficulties make the A.I. ******ed\obnoxious so figured worth asking.

A warm welcome to the forums .....

1. Most people seem to play BTS. Might be worth playing Civ4 vanilla once or twice as it is the least complicated.

2. Noble difficulty is considered to be 'Par'. I personally started on Warlord

Have fun - you probably won't be going to bed tonight :)

A warm welcome to the forums .....

1. Most people seem to play BTS. Might be worth playing Civ4 vanilla once or twice as it is the least complicated.

2. Noble difficulty is considered to be 'Par'. I personally started on Warlord

Have fun - you probably won't be going to bed tonight :)

Yeah no joke, this is really engaging.

Picked up Civ3 about a week ago but it wasn't particularly exciting, something about how CIV4 is set up is very addictive.

Settled for Noble difficulty and made a Standard sized game, figure might as well play a smaller game first.

You also get one for Versailles. I think it might be gold/yellow in color (which would presumably be due to it being a world wonder), but don't remember for sure.

Cheers for the confirmation bernbaum.

There is indeed a star for Versailes too, but it looks to be the same colour as for Forbidden Palace. Have to run the game on lowest settings so maybe that affects things, but wouldn't think so.

In the game I'm playing right now I'm Brennus/Ethiopia and the only other civ on my little continent is Stalin/Mali. I'm trying to get good at early rushes so I was planning on bumping him off. However, given his Skirmishers- and the only Copper on the island being in a reasonable but not very convenient location- should I go ahead and Axerush, or should I beeline IW and go after him with Swords?
Personally, I would axe-rush him, beeline IW, and finish him off with swords. You might have to build a large stack of axes, and you may only take a city or two (or all of them :D ), but it will cripple him while you get IW and can take his capital which will likely have walls by then.

One more for later on in this game, regarding Oromos. They come with Drill 1&2, so it's my understanding that any upgraded Oromos will become Drill 2 Rifles, then hold those promos all the way up through Infantry and beyond.
I believe this is correct. I build as many Oromos as I can.

EDIT: Another question, about Stalin. I haven't come across him in many of my games. I know he's not Louis, but given that he's Industrious, should I sit back and wait for him to build a Wonder for me? Or does he usually not bother?
I don't know that he bothers. I usually try to kill him early if I can, or else he's too far way. I haven't seen him in game for ages though. I may be wrong.

Top Bottom