1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Civrules, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Luthor_Saxburg

Luthor_Saxburg Vassal of Civilization

Hi.

Is there anyway to see a multiplayer file (WorldBuilder for Multiplayer files)?

I know this can be a dangerous tool, but I'm in a PBEM that is stuck (game crashes) and we'll lke to understand why to see if we can fix it...

2. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Disinterested Observer Moderator

Have you looked at any of the log files? They may offer a clue.

I don't play MP, but I think that the assets are locked for MP games, and you wouldn't be able to use WB once the game has begun. (I think)

3. sohleks

sohleks Prince

If espionage was disabled through the custom game options do you think the AI tech rate would increase?

4. pob

pob Deity²

Probably. The AI can sometimes put silly amounts of their :commerce: to :espionage:, particularly if trying to keep up in spending with someone who has built multiple early courthouses.

5. TheMulattoMaker

TheMulattoMaker Dictator of RF

Can you use Privateers to attack ships and blockade in an Always Peace game?

6. sohleks

sohleks Prince

Just tested it myself for you. Privateers are fully functional in always peace games. They look like barbarians to other civs.

7. TheMulattoMaker

Thanks! :goodjob:

Good thing the AIs won't stop to consider how in the world barb pirates are showing up in an Always Peace/No Barbs game when only one civ has ocean-going ships... :mwaha:

8. dalamb

dalamb Deity

In "Always Peace" can the AI still attack the privateers? It seems likely they must, since they're "barbarians".

9. rogue131

rogue131 Byzantine Historian

is it better to build more infantry or more tanks? I know tanks carry the heavier punch, but they take so long to build and I know infantry may take shorter, but is weaker than a tank. I'm gearing up for a heavy war with Russia.

10. damerell

damerell Slow Worker

If the enemy have comparably strong units, build tanks. They may take longer to build, but you've got a much better chance of hanging onto them. Their faster movement is also indispensable - you can pillage as you go, move rapidly from city to city, or pull damaged units out of combat.

11. UnforcedError

UnforcedError Settler

^^not to mention Blitz...

12. rfcfanatic

rfcfanatic Mercantilist

Free Religion may not always be a good solution. Especially when you have University of Sankore or The Spiral Minaret wonders along with a lot of temples & monasteries of your state religion.

In that case, Free Religion will become a reasonable option after the discovery of Scientific Method. This technology will obsolete these wonders.

13. rfcfanatic

rfcfanatic Mercantilist

Sorry, I was mistaken. I did some research and found out that the Spiral Minaret and University of Sankore are actually obsoleted by the Computers technology. That may change my strategy for sure. I always thought that it was the Scientific Method that obsoletes these.

14. UnforcedError

UnforcedError Settler

^^Scientific Method obsoletes monasteries so there is some connection.

15. Luthor_Saxburg

Luthor_Saxburg Vassal of Civilization

Thanks for the tip!

But how does one do that? :blush:

16. julystork

julystork Chieftain

Are longbowmen the :spear:of Civ4? ONE longbowman seem to be able to withstand all the gunpowder units I can throw at it!

17. TheMulattoMaker

Longbowmen can be very strong on defense in the right situation. On a hill, behind city walls, with City Garrison 3, their 6:strength: becomes 18:strength:. (If my pre-coffee math is correct.)

18. UnforcedError

UnforcedError Settler

^^Not against gunpowder units as they ignore walls and castles. Julystork, I think you're not using the right units. Muskets are crap, use cuirs (or cannons and rifles).

19. dr_s

dr_s Prince

Is there a formula or chart lying around that provides the relationship between turns and years for the various speeds? Thanks.

20. sohleks

sohleks Prince

Is there any direct way to worldbuilder in project type wonders like the Manhatten Project and the SDI? I can't seem to find a way to do that anywhere.