Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

I founded a city, had my Christian missionary do his thing, then Pacal immedietly sent one of his Confucian missionaries in there as well. I was going to build some Christian buildings, but then I saw that building Confucian buildings would give me two extra hammers each. I built those instead, natch. I'm not complaining, I just want to know, what gives?

I founded a city, had my Christian missionary do his thing, then Pacal immedietly sent one of his Confucian missionaries in there as well. I was going to build some Christian buildings, but then I saw that building Confucian buildings would give me two extra hammers each. I built those instead, natch. I'm not complaining, I just want to know, what gives?

A Confucian built the Apostolic Palace, which gives all buildings of that religion (regardless of the civ and even regardless of whether the AP religion is its state religion or not) +2 :hammers:.

I've managed to get the AI to trade a city for peace if they're almost completely wiped out. Sometimes I use it to get an island city that would be harder to invade than the remaining continental cities.

We had this repeatedly tonight with Genghis. Pretty interesting game as Elizabeth; Genghis declared on us (not totally unexpectedly, but with an alarmingly huge stack of Knights given the size of his empire) when we'd just invented Rifling, so in spite of a few turns at 0% science and mass upgrades later, we lost one small city - vexingly dividing the empire, leaving one actually decent city isolated on a peninsula with, er, one Redcoat to defend it (the rest having died in a vain attempt to recover the situation before the loss of the small city) and Genghis's stack a turn closer than the reinforcements coming by Galleon. So... we bought peace with Music, which was generous of him, considering. I suppose he wanted to consolidate his gains and heal troops; but of course ten turns later (when he immediately DoWed on us) there were about a dozen Redcoats waiting to put things right.

You know how this goes; you have a significant tech advantage, the AI declares on you anyway, you give them a solid kicking and steal and/or raze a few cities, they make peace but they hate you forever because you burned down a city or two, they don't catch up tech-wise because they waste all their hammers building inferior units, they declare on you... rinse and repeat until you get fed up and make them capitulate - in this case, I think, on the fourth war, by which time we had Infantry and he still had, er, Knights. And some Musketmen.

Anyway, the point of this whole rambling story is, his cities were universally awful (presumably because he spent all his hammers on Knights; also explaining why we burned them all down when we took them), but every subsequent time we made peace, he was desperate to put a small city on the wrong side of his empire into the deal - which of course we had no use for whatsoever. I've seen it occasionally before, but I've never seen an AI so utterly desperate to give me a city at every opportunity. Anyone know if you're allowed to immediately burn down a city you get as the spoils of war? We didn't accept them because, if you can't, we didn't want the maintenance burden.

^^NO, you're not allowed to burn it, AFAIK. You immediately get the city without being asked whether you'd want to keep it. So far in my games I've never been offered a decent city, they only want to give you junk.

Gee, I hope the Irish chick didn't miss my U2 punnies. :lol:

U2? Oh please, are you going to make me listen to them to get relevant quotes now? Yeccch. :p

I'll be over here... In God's Country :vomit:

U2? Oh please, are you going to make me listen to them to get relevant quotes now? Yeccch. :p

I'll be fine, with or without you. :rolleyes:

I've been playing C4C a long time but there's something I haven't figured out: "Cultural pressure" or something makes my tiles flip to the English. But C4C doesn't have explicit culture. There's learning, government, military potential, etc but no explicit culture produced, afaik. What makes tiles flip over, and what can I do to keep tiles, or to push the enemy out of tiles?

I'll be fine, with or without you. :rolleyes:

This is weird. I came here looking for n00b questions, but I guess I still haven't found what I'm looking for. :D

EDIT: After I wrote that, I thought of an answer to mastrude's question. I guess the RNG works in Mysterious Ways...
I've been playing C4C a long time but there's something I haven't figured out: "Cultural pressure" or something makes my tiles flip to the English. But C4C doesn't have explicit culture. There's learning, government, military potential, etc but no explicit culture produced, afaik. What makes tiles flip over, and what can I do to keep tiles, or to push the enemy out of tiles?

I could be way off base here, but I think you're talking about Colonization. It has its whole separate forum (I think it has its own n00b questions thread too but not sure). This thread is specifically for Civ4, not Colonization- but since you're here, if I understand your question right, the answer is Liberty Bells. The more Liberty Bells your Town Hall produces the faster your borders will pop, and the less those dirty English will be able to steal your land. ;)

This is weird. I came here looking for n00b questions, but I guess I still haven't found what I'm looking for. :D
It is out of control, but in a little while if you spend a day without me in another time and another place it'll be even better than the real thing.

Sorry, I have no desire to keep this up, because the mods might ban us until New Years' Day, and it's only October. That would be a difficult lemon to swallow, it would make me numb, and it would hurt my pride. Perhaps we could all continue this in OT- if someone starts a thread I will follow.

Sorry, I have no desire to keep this up, because the mods might ban us until New Years' Day, and it's only October. That would be a difficult lemon to swallow, it would make me numb, and it would hurt my pride. Perhaps we could all continue this in OT- if someone starts a thread I will follow.

Magnificent, although I feel we're getting stuck in the moment.

I thought you had a good taste in music by the Rush quotes... I guess I was wrong ;)

Anyways, I've got a question about "Whipping". I haven't used it much at all but seeing that all of these people thrive with it, I decided to try it out. This may be more of an opinionated question, but what is the usual minimum for a city's population that you would whip in? In other words, how small is too small? And are there any guides on the subject? Thanks in advance!

I thought you had a good taste in music by the Rush quotes... I guess I was wrong ;)

Anyways, I've got a question about "Whipping". I haven't used it much at all but seeing that all of these people thrive with it, I decided to try it out. This may be more of an opinionated question, but what is the usual minimum for a city's population that you would whip in? In other words, how small is too small? And are there any guides on the subject? Thanks in advance!
Well, the game itself won't allow you to whip away more than half of the population, so you need a city size of at least 2 to whip. Optimal whipping, where you take advantage of overflow, usually requires you to whip away 2 citizens at least, so the optimal whipping size for a city is 4 and up.

You should also consider other factors such as the happiness cap, whether all the citizens are doing something useful, and the city's specialization. At a certain point I stop or rarely whip in my commerce cities because I want the citizens working and growing cottages; I'll only whip there if I can sacrifice citizens working non-commerce and non-food tiles (i.e. production tiles) while keeping enough citizens to work all the cottage tiles.

The best guide to whipping around here is probably VoU's Vocum Sineratio.

It is generally counterproductive to single-pop-whip, so that would imply size 4 to double-whip; and you don't want to whip away any of the premium tiles, certainly not the food resource tiles and arguably not any other resource tile, so... big enough to keep those. But no bigger; if the city gets bigger than that, you're just working non-premium tiles with people who would be better dying under the lash, and since the food requirements for extra population go up, you're using those food resources more efficiently when you whip a smaller city.

Edited to add - worse yet, if the population grows, you'll divert worker turns and hence resources to manufacture extra workers to the city to improve the non-premium tiles. Better to have the production from whipping, letting fewer workers gradually build tile improvements to be used when you come out of Slavery. I'm not saying "skimp on workers", but you can definitely get by with fewer if you crack the whip regularly.

EDIT: After I wrote that, I thought of an answer to mastrude's question. I guess the RNG works in Mysterious Ways...

I could be way off base here, but I think you're talking about Colonization. It has its whole separate forum (I think it has its own n00b questions thread too but not sure). This thread is specifically for Civ4, not Colonization- but since you're here, if I understand your question right, the answer is Liberty Bells. The more Liberty Bells your Town Hall produces the faster your borders will pop, and the less those dirty English will be able to steal your land. ;)

You're right, I posted in the wrong place. But you answered anyway. My response is: DAMN. I avoid getting any liberty bells at all, then try to get lots overnight, so the king won't build up his forces. Guess I need another strategy. Sorry, and thanks!

Top Bottom