R.E.D. WWII: Concepts & Suggestions

Just thought I'd ask (Since it's hard to read through 42 pages - I think this mod needs its own subforum!) whether the 'other' maps (The ones that aren't the 39-45 Europe) are as balanced and as detailed as the main one. It seems that I mostly play the Europe map but was thinking of branching out, but since I noticed that the Europe map is the only one with projects, I hesitated.

The 1939 Europe map is the one I'm working on when testing new mechanisms, so it has that advantage for new content, but T_KCommanderbly add them pretty fast on his own scenario. I think he has worked more on the 1936 than the 1942 lately, convoy may not have been added to the later, but he may answer that better than me :)

I'm sure he will also port the military project ASAP on the 1936 map.

Note that there are only 2 of those on the 1939 map (both for Germany) for testing purpose, more will come later.

All the other projects (new units) are on both of his maps already.

And there's also the Stalingrad scenario I've made, for a more focused game (no projects here, almost no building option, just reinforcements and objectives to take/hold)

Okay, great.

Just played a game as Germany, absolutely love the 2 projects.

Only issue is, it seemed to me that Weserübung was a bit weak (only 3 fallschirmjaeger) for the :c5production: cost, but in the end, it was all I needed to take the north of Norway, and sent some panzers and battleships to take the South.

Seelöwe was really impressive though. :D

Gedemon, T_KCommanderbly,

The AI in the Earth 1942 Map seems to be a lot sharper. Embarkation woes are a thing of the past and I'm in the naval fight-of-my-life in the pacific. The Yanks actually showed up! And it's only turn 6 in my new game. This is a massive improvement thus far!

With what options did you start your game ? Are you using the "no stupid embarkation" option ?

it has absolutely nothing in my lua.log

Should i reinstall my civ 5?

i must be a exception....:mad::(

Have you enabled logging ? (see first post)

Okay, great.

Just played a game as Germany, absolutely love the 2 projects.

Only issue is, it seemed to me that Weserübung was a bit weak (only 3 fallschirmjaeger) for the :c5production: cost, but in the end, it was all I needed to take the north of Norway, and sent some panzers and battleships to take the South.

Seelöwe was really impressive though. :D

They have no defense, no troops and you think three Fallschirmjager teleported into their heartland is weak?

Gedemon: Will your mod be compatible with G&K? Would hate losing my progress in my war as Italy once the expension come out.

Also, I think this is the ONLY mods with hotseat capability, thus the only mods with PBEM capability. I wonder if people might be interested in a game once the patch and the new mod version is out.(As long as the mods work with the expension of course)

They have no defense, no troops and you think three Fallschirmjager teleported into their heartland is weak?
Not at all - it's just a simple observation that taking Norway can be done plenty well without them, and so diverting my production to the project seemed a bit superfluous after I had finished.

I also had an idea for a Soviet project - 'Scorched Earth', which makes conquered Soviet cities consume personnel for the conqueror each turn.

And of course, Operation *Torch* Should be included ASAP. In my current game as Italy, I pretty much ignore Africa. USSR did send some troops trough the middle east, but they were out of supplies and got crushed by my garrison there lol

Gedemon: Will your mod be compatible with G&K? Would hate losing my progress in my war as Italy once the expension come out.

Also, I think this is the ONLY mods with hotseat capability, thus the only mods with PBEM capability. I wonder if people might be interested in a game once the patch and the new mod version is out.(As long as the mods work with the expension of course)
When G&K will be out, I think you'll still be able to launch vanilla civ5.

The problem is that each big update to the mod break compatibility. Usually, I advice to finish a game before updating the mod.

Now, we'll have a problem with the next patch : it has some internal bugfix and changes that have broken some features of the mod (I'm not even sure I can fix all of them), so it will require a big update, savegame won't be compatible with the post-patch version, and the patch itself will break the current version of the mod.

So, I'll suggest to finish your games before the patch is out (or make sure to avoid update before finishing it)

About hotseat, see the multiplayer section of the forum, there is already a tool equivalent to PBEM. I'm curious to know if the mod work with it.

Also, I've made a custom setup screen that enable hotseat with any mod (except scenario mods, those have to be edited manually), you can found it in the mod component forum.

Not at all - it's just a simple observation that taking Norway can be done plenty well without them, and so diverting my production to the project seemed a bit superfluous after I had finished.

I also had an idea for a Soviet project - 'Scorched Earth', which makes conquered Soviet cities consume personnel for the conqueror each turn.
The project cost less than 3 paratroopers IIRC, so it's a bonus anyway (except if you don't want paratroopers or consider that 2 will be enough, but they won't have the same range...)

Scroched earth project, like it... but will make it auto-pillage all improvements around a captured cities and destroy all building inside if I implement it.

And of course, Operation *Torch* Should be included ASAP. In my current game as Italy, I pretty much ignore Africa. USSR did send some troops trough the middle east, but they were out of supplies and got crushed by my garrison there lol
And Overlord, etc... the AI need it, and the player also need to have to defend more areas, I agree.

But fixing bugs for post-patch version is now my priority...

@Gedemon: Would be great if you could add the operations to the 1942 scenario too. Especially for the AI, so they give the human player a bigger challenge.

Another thing I noticed, is that the AI starts building Broadcast Towers in all their cities at the beginning of a game. Is it possible to give the AI additional buildings to give them the chance to buidl actual units ? :)

@Gedemon: Would be great if you could add the operations to the 1942 scenario too. Especially for the AI, so they give the human player a bigger challenge.

I'm hoping to work on that :)

@Gedemon Which leads me to ask, I'm trying to make a condition that would make a military project AI only. I tried but I couldn't get it working (trying to learn this Lua stuff :) ) but here is my code I don't know if you can point out what I did wrong. Otherwise I think I have been able to figure out how to make military projects.

Spoiler :
Code:
function IsGermanyAtWarWithLowCountries()
	local bDebug = false
	local iGermany = GetPlayerIDFromCivID (GERMANY, false, true)
	local pGermany = Players[iGermany]
	local player = Players[iPlayer]
	--if not AreAtWar( GetPlayerIDFromCivID(GERMANY, false), GetPlayerIDFromCivID(BELGIUM, true)) then
	--	Dprint("      - Germany is not at war with Belgium...", bDebug)
	--	return false
	--end
	--if not AreAtWar( GetPlayerIDFromCivID(GERMANY, false), GetPlayerIDFromCivID(NETHERLANDS, true)) then
	--	Dprint("      - Germany is not at war with Netherlands...", bDebug)
	--	return false
	--end
	if player:IsHuman() == iGermany then 
		Dprint("      - Germany is Human, Project Not Allowed...", bDebug)
		return false
	end
	return true
end

hi.is there a way to hurry up production?any upgrate maybe?i think it takes toooo long sometimes to build units even in big cities.i dont speak about naval units which of cource take a long time but for smaller ones.i think 14 turns for an aircraft squadron when you desperately need them(2-3 months in game terms)is very much.i read a previous post that if there are a lot of units there will be a problem with graphics but i think that the biggest cities must have a lot faster production.

I'm hoping to work on that :)

@Gedemon Which leads me to ask, I'm trying to make a condition that would make a military project AI only. I tried but I couldn't get it working (trying to learn this Lua stuff :) ) but here is my code I don't know if you can point out what I did wrong. Otherwise I think I have been able to figure out how to make military projects.

Spoiler :
Code:
	local bDebug = false
	--if not AreAtWar( GetPlayerIDFromCivID(GERMANY, false), GetPlayerIDFromCivID(BELGIUM, true)) then
	--	return false
	--end
	--if not AreAtWar( GetPlayerIDFromCivID(GERMANY, false), GetPlayerIDFromCivID(NETHERLANDS, true)) then
	--	return false
	--end
	if [COLOR="Red"]pGermany:IsHuman()[/COLOR] then 
		return false
	end
	return true
end
corrected code :
Spoiler :
Code:
	local bDebug = false
	--	return false
	--end
	--	return false
	--end
	if [COLOR="Red"]pGermany:IsHuman()[/COLOR] then 
		return false
	end
	return true
end

but this won't prevent a human player to make the project, this will just make the project not launching when ready for the human... frustrating !

I'll note to add a tag to the project table to allow AI use only.

Great mod, thanks for putting in all the work!

A question. I'm playing a 1936 map now and chose 'alternate history allowed'. Yet I can't declare war on a neutral city-state. Is this normal? Are there still rules on declaring war, like having to wait until the outbreak of the world war?

Scrap that, just restarted and I can declare war.

I must have checked 'alternate history' and then changed difficulty setting, that resets the options.

Maybe something worth considering. I'm looking for an in-between solution between a) following the historic war declarations step by step without being able to make any choices and b) all countries going basically apehorsehocky and acting completely out of character. (I'm playing a 1936 game now where france and the UK declared war on me(italy) and Hitler is a friendly pacifist who hasn't declared war on anyone)

Making the AI behave rationally is probably very difficult to accomplish, but maybe the option could be given to have all AI players act according to historic events, but give human players a bit more wiggle room. I think it could be fun to be able to declare war on historically neutral states and to be able to decide in which turn to declare war on the big opponents.

Gedemon: Here's my Log...

you sure to have the latest civ patch ?

There is a lot of error message even before the mod is loaded... Try to check your files with steam, look like something wrong.

Top Bottom