Random Rants ΟΔ: broken record

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread title reminds me of Netflix's The OA. That's worthy of a rant.

Since when did iced tea have caffeine?

The only tea I know of that doesn't are those herbal teas that don't have actual tea leaves in them. Basic black tea at Starbucks is highly charged, especially when ordered with no water, which is my preference.

How can you have tea without water, tim? that's not how this works.

At Starbucks they brew the tea double strength so they can use it in their tea based drinks with "infusions" and whatnot. When you order just tea they dilute it with water. If you order it with no water you get the undiluted brew, which tastes really good but I should have applied some moderation. It's coming up on two AM and I'm still in the zone.

I hope for all your sakes that no-one in your office will ever need to dial 911.

(Every time I log in, my Skype installation reminds me, "Skype cannot be used to make emergency calls")...

Hmm didn't know that. I wonder if I should ask what we should do in the case of an emergency. ;)
Since I'm part of the IT management team, that may not be a good idea. :lol:

Hmm didn't know that. I wonder if I should ask what we should do in the case of an emergency. ;)
Since I'm part of the IT management team, that may not be a good idea. :lol:

You can set up a landline with a direct link to 911? Hospitals do that here with taxi companies. :dunno:

Well it might not be so bad. I remembered later that in Germany/UK (and presumably the rest of Europe), the emergency-service numbers are always free-to-call over cellphone networks, and I would assume that this is also the case over in the US (?) — and that everyone has a cellphone these days! But obviously I've no idea how extensive your local coverage is. And of course, relying on a cellphone still also depends on its owner having remembered to charge it that morning... :shifty:

Just as a totally random(!) counter-example, my employer's company office is in a small village 20 km outside the town where I live, and for most of that distance, at least as far as my own mobile-provider's carrier-signal is concerned, it's a black hole (I occasionally get one bar, presumably when the moon is in the right phase and the wind is blowing in the right direction — otherwise, "No service"). So for me/us, a landline might be the only sure way I/we have of making an emergency call from work.

Not all tea has caffeine in it.

The only tea I know of that doesn't are those herbal teas that don't have actual tea leaves in them. Basic black tea at Starbucks is highly charged, especially when ordered with no water, which is my preference.

This all depends on your definition of "tea". If "tea" is something made from tea leaves, then this would include black, green and white tea, and all of them have caffeine. The difference between caffeine in coffee and tea is btw that in tea it is bound to another substance, and is only released in the intestine, whereas in coffee it is (apparently) free and can be directly absorbed in the stomach (or maybe already in the mouth, would need to check).
Other forms of "tea", which are not made from tea leaves, like e.g. mint, roibos or chamomile, do not contain any caffeine.

Passion tango iced tea doesn't have caffeine either. Which is... hibiscus, lemongrass, apple, cinnamon, and cane sugar.

Ugh, now I want to go to Starbucks.

This all depends on your definition of "tea". If "tea" is something made from tea leaves, then this would include black, green and white tea, and all of them have caffeine. The difference between caffeine in coffee and tea is btw that in tea it is bound to another substance, and is only released in the intestine, whereas in coffee it is (apparently) free and can be directly absorbed in the stomach (or maybe already in the mouth, would need to check).
Other forms of "tea", which are not made from tea leaves, like e.g. mint, roibos or chamomile, do not contain any caffeine.

Calling things that are made without using any tea leaves tea seems like a gross lack of imagination. Someone needed to make up a word for beverages made by steeping unspecified plant materials a long time ago rather than just saying "well, that's how tea is made so even though we substituted some random plant let's call it tea anyway."

That said, thank you for a useful and interesting piece of information. I now understand why drinking too much tea gives me such a long term caffeine problem while too much coffee is more immediate and doesn't last as long.

I lost a 20€ bill today.

And there are suddenly a lot of ads on youtube since they're pushing their premium service.

Probably not related.

My favourite part of Mozilla is definitely when it asks me to donate money to them every single time I open the browser.

That must be the Windows version…

You should have posted that eleven times, Snerk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom