Random Rants LXXXIX: I HATE MOVING!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I’m slowly slipping into nihilism.

2021 is determined to bring me down through sheer annoyance.

Once we finally got a new water heater installed, the water pipe down the road burst and now, instead of not having hot water, we have no water at all. To add to this, I slipped on the icy pavement yesterday and as I tried to maintain balance, my jeans ripped in the most uncomfortable region. And my comfortable, overused shoes are starting to leak. Finding shoes or clothes that would feel comfortable to me was always a huge annoyance even in best of times when I could try them on in the shop, but now...

American baseball legend Hank Aaron and Croatian television actress Mira Furlan have both passed away. :( Aged 86 and 65, respectively.

My sister is potentially on the way of becoming a vaccine sceptic :gripe:.
She was worried about the influenca vaccination for her son (he just had a strain a few weeks ago), but managed to push her in the right way.
Now for the corona, I'm resorting already to a pre-emptive guilt-trip (one of the neighbours has died, and my dad is risk group), I hope that'll work.

I guess if she doesn't take it when offered, that's another dose for someone who does. And hopefully she'll be prepared to accept more stringent rules for having refused the vaccine (I have zero patience with anti-vaxxers unless they have a valid medical reason for refusing, and no, religious beliefs and crackpot notions on social media are not valid medical reasons).

I guess if she doesn't take it when offered, that's another dose for someone who does. And hopefully she'll be prepared to accept more stringent rules for having refused the vaccine (I have zero patience with anti-vaxxers unless they have a valid medical reason for refusing, and no, religious beliefs and crackpot notions on social media are not valid medical reasons).

While you have a valid point, it's more the ....forfeiting of good reason. If I can't keep stuff up in my family and close surrounding (given that I am a microbiologist), how should other people be able to? How should I be able to convince anyone, if not these people?
-> it has to be done.

While you have a valid point, it's more the ....forfeiting of good reason. If I can't keep stuff up in my family and close surrounding (given that I am a microbiologist), how should other people be able to? How should I be able to convince anyone, if not these people?
-> it has to be done.
I'm no microbiologist, and I convinced my dad to start getting flu shots.

Okay, I actually just told him to get his coat because we were going to the flu clinic. He protested and I told him that it was free for him since he turned 65 and free for me since I'm in the at-risk category, I was literally sick of him dragging home every damn strain of cold and flu going around town, and wasn't going to put up with it anymore.

My dad wasn't stupid; he never went past Grade 8 (junior high), but he did respect scientific explanations he could understand, as well as the consequences (usually; it took dementia to curb his smoking as it's like a switch was flipped in his brain overnight - he went from being a nicotine addict to not ever remembering he'd ever smoked and he no longer had any desire to).

If reason and nice explanations don't work, sometimes you have to use tough love.

Hm, if 1000 people would buy my lit seminar, that would pay me 27000-30000 (depending on discounts etc) euros per run (it runs either once a month or every 45 days)
The problem is that I am looking at 30 for this month :)

I could live with 30K euros/month.

I’m becoming mad at myself more and more at myself falling into the anti-SJW/Gamergater slide. At the same coin, trying my best not to let the anger consume me.

It only occurred to me why I was acting out during Biden’s inauguration was that I had a lot of unresolved issues that I’ve put aside since May.

Thieves stole the seat off my wife's bicycle. In response, we've moved our bikes to our porch where they don't really fit.

Bike and car thefts have been going on in my apartment complex and neighboring complexes for years and the landlord refuses to do anything about it. They just tell us to lock up our stuff - which I did! I even bought new u-locks when I saw thieves were cutting through the type of u-locks I used to have on the bikes. But now they're stealing anything not bolted down like frakking bike seats.

Oh and they are going to do fire alarm checks in my building next month which means having to listen to an alarm klaxon that is literally (not figuratively) as loud as a small airplane for 8 hours. They just did this check at my last apartment before I moved and it took 2 days to complete and drove me to tears. I have no idea how their checking procedure is legal - it's that loud and goes on for that long that I cannot see how it is allowed.

So I guess I'm buying a hotel room and a bike seat in the next couple of weeks.

Thieves stole the seat off my wife's bicycle. In response, we've moved our bikes to our porch where they don't really fit.

Bike and car thefts have been going on in my apartment complex and neighboring complexes for years and the landlord refuses to do anything about it. They just tell us to lock up our stuff - which I did! I even bought new u-locks when I saw thieves were cutting through the type of u-locks I used to have on the bikes. But now they're stealing anything not bolted down like frakking bike seats.

Oh and they are going to do fire alarm checks in my building next month which means having to listen to an alarm klaxon that is literally (not figuratively) as loud as a small airplane for 8 hours. They just did this check at my last apartment before I moved and it took 2 days to complete and drove me to tears. I have no idea how their checking procedure is legal - it's that loud and goes on for that long that I cannot see how it is allowed.

You need a Magnavolt.

I had even found a bike rack buried as deep in the lower garage as I could find, away from the entrances and secluded from view in hopes they wouldn't find it. One of my neighbors told me he's seen people cruising around the garage in pickup trucks looking at the bikes. I wonder if it's an inside job (a resident)?

You know, all I would want right now is a half-decent BLT. A little toasted and buttered bread, lettuce, tomato, mayo, and some bacon.

I see some whining on the English-speaking population here about how Japanese bacon is inferior because it’s thick cut and not as greasy. I don’t want greasy thin strips, give me that ham-like bacon any day.

There’s a supermarket by one of the places I work that has really, unusually good sandwiches for its location, but I’m only there a couple times a month.

That’s about it from here.

@hobbsyoyo Install some cameras and provide a bit of bait.

A while back someone stole the quick release pin from my bike seat. They didn't bother to take the seat, just the pin. The seat post was just stiff enough that it took me a whole trip to figure out what was going on.

A new pin was only a quid or something, but the dog pissed on the floor of the bike shop, so I've been avoiding them ever since.

The windows in my first apartment faced the courtyard, where the bike racks were. There was one tenant who not only locked the bike, but also took the seat inside with him every single time. There was no parkade at this place, and it was downtown - not in the area where the drug dealers and addicts hang out, but close enough.

That's crazy. Fire alarm tests here last just a few minutes - less than a couple of minutes when the alarm is actually going.

What I did some years ago was go to the hardware store and get a set of ear muffs - the heavy-duty kind that are meant to protect against noise (not sure they should be called headphones since the idea is to not hear anything). I wear these when the fire alarm goes off and we have to go downstairs. They make me resemble a Cyberman using a walker, but they've saved my hearing.

Oh, and the next person who posts in this thread gets to start the next one. It was a pleasure coming up with a suitably rant-worthy title (not that moving itself is a pleasure, but you know what I mean). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom