Random Rants 91 - Semiprimal Rage

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Samson I'm not sure where you get the idea that only deep dish pizza is served in the US?

Most places offer multiple different types of crusts: hand-tossed, thin crust, deep dish, etc. Some places specialize in one type. People have different preferences and this is the land of variety. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the difficulty of making it (making a good deep dish can really be more difficult than making a hand-tossed pizza) Depending on my mood, I'll sometimes make a really thin-crusted pizza (where I roll it out), other times a hand-tossed, and sometimes a deep dish in a cake pan.

Tossing your dough in the air isn't even the best way at all of stretching out your dough. You should more turn it in your hands like a steering wheel so you let gravity do a good portion of the work.
I have never learnt to do any sort of breadmaking, let alone pizza base making, and now I avoid carbs, so this is all based on pizza's purchased out. I have have quite a few pizzas from all over the world, including many in America and many all over Europe, though generally towards the cheaper end of the scale. The pizzas you get in Italy where you see them spinning the dough, and the result is an incredibly thin pizza, are the ones I prefer by a long way. That is basically what you get in Italy, they are found in much of Europe and I have rarely seen them in the US, or had pizza base so thin.
There are regional differences. In the Northeast, pizza is always thin crust.
The Northeast is the a bit of the US I have hardly been.

Neapolitan pizza places exist here, which do the Italy-style dough and bake it at extremely high temperature.

Well if you're only trying the cheap places then you're not going to get a good experience :p

delete this, wrong thread until I screw up something. Probably will take minute or two at most.

----

I can rant about this.

This country is too full of books. As older people are switching from proper books to endless strings of Is & Os and youngster can't find a power button in them there's little in form of options but to burn them when one runs out of space. Old book dealers will only take properly valuable books due to limited space, libraries, shopping malls, apartment complexes and everything in between have a section where one can leave or take a book or few but you can't dump hundreds of books there at once.
As people can read in the Raves section I got few books yesterday and I'm happy that I only will burn few (dozen) of them it's still a sad case when books are burning; even without govermental influence.

Back in the turn of 50s gazillion library books were supposed to be burned as anti-soviet but somehow the librarians misunderstood this simple order and only quietly moved those from the eye level to storage or to some clearly potential future revolutionary for safekeeping so not all of them were lost. The worst public servants were apparently illiterate and failed to do even this. Back then to qualify as anti-soviet didn't take much. Putting doubt in the idea that the first human was Ivan Ivanovich was enough.

My personal case here isn't that bad.

Last edited:
Yeah, my Fahrenheit 451 moment.

wtf just send them here. Books! Books! Best purchase ever!
@Samson I'm not sure where you get the idea that only deep dish pizza is served in the US?

Most places offer multiple different types of crusts: hand-tossed, thin crust, deep dish, etc. Some places specialize in one type. People have different preferences and this is the land of variety. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the difficulty of making it (making a good deep dish can really be more difficult than making a hand-tossed pizza) Depending on my mood, I'll sometimes make a really thin-crusted pizza (where I roll it out), other times a hand-tossed, and sometimes a deep dish in a cake pan.

Tossing your dough in the air isn't even the best way at all of stretching out your dough. You should more turn it in your hands like a steering wheel so you let gravity do a good portion of the work.

Pineapple tastes great on pizza, especially if you pair it with something spicy like red pepper flakes. And it gets its name because Spanish explorers thought it resembled a pine cone (at that time called pine apples) and it stuck in both Spanish (the fruit is called pinas) and English (pine cones had to get renamed, funnily enough) Both ananas (the Tupi name for the fruit) and pineapple were used in England, but like the VCR/Beta war there was a winner and a loser lol.

With my speech impediment, "pineapple" is much easier for me to say than "ananas" (which trips up my tongue)
It's a funny thing that here a lot of the local-substrate names have actually stuck in the local varieties of colonial Indo-European languages. The pineapple is still called an ananá here. Maize is downright regional to the point of confusion.

Also ‘apple’ used to generally mean a lot of types of fruit, rather than its limited present-day sense.

And where's the new thread?

Stupid Boston Pizza got my order wrong, instead of getting a pizza and 2 pastas, i got 3 orders of fries and 2 buns, like $18 of food for $102...........
and i did't get my pasta! :cry:

wtf just send them here. Books! Books! Best purchase ever!

And where's the new thread?

Come & get'em yourself. I can save them over summer in that case and while planning your trip you can start a new thread. Book bonfires seems like a valid reason for a reset.

Or does the owner of the 1000th post still have 24hrs to do so?

*sigh* I'm not allowed to cross the sea, it seems, because Argentina's new government's ideological bent has resulted in the application of uncertified vaccine formulæ.

Last edited:
Taxes, thread OPs and some other minor issues. Should we form a committee to formulate a support plan to ease Mary's heavy burden under these dire circumstances?
I hope that at least the tap is closed.

Eeeh, she did mention a vasectomy so that might be part of her tap-closing efforts.

Seems a bit radical measure but I'm not judging.

So I will lock this one now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom