Random Rants 92 - Not Enough Snerk

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a good thing I'm not one of the tenants here with anything growing out on the balcony. Someone's coming to paint the part of it that is visible to the public.

Apparently this is Terribly Important, because it might make all the difference in the universe whether or not someone decides to rent here. I told the manager that I've lived here nearly a decade and never even noticed it. She argued with me, trying to make me believe that everyone does. All I know is that it's grey.

So for what's described as a 2-minute job, some guy is going to traipse through my suite, lean over the railing, paint this patch of cement, and traipse out again. The balcony doors will have to be shut, cutting off the cool breeze, because I'm allergic to paint fumes.

Between Environment Canada warnings about heat (keep the windows open for ventilation) and warnings about air quality (there's a rather large forest fire going on in Jasper National Park, 6000 hectares and counting, so anyone with respiratory issues should stay inside with the windows closed), I have no idea wtf is going on. I finally just shut the window in the room I'm in now because I got tired of killing dozens of insects every night.

I am not denying that different foods have big differences, and these impact health. I eat what most people would consider a weird diet because I think it is better for me and my digestion. I am arguing that the definition "ultra processed" does not really capture what is going on. Unless Coco-cola, spaghetti and margarine all affect your digestion similarly then I suspect you agree with me.

Once upon a time I survived on a diet of milk, bananas, cream of wheat, cottage cheese, honey, and salmon. I have no idea what was going on back then. This was in the latter half of the '90s, when I had to bring porridge to the medieval feasts because there wasn't much of the actual feast I could tolerate (thank goodness I was running the troll booth so nobody was near enough to notice that I wasn't eating anything remotely related to the feast).

I suppose it was healthier for me that I had to give up chocolate, chips, and a lot of other stuff I loved. Eventually things did get back to some kind of normal once I figured out the reason why so many things were affecting me in a really bad way. I remember the first time I had anything with sugar in it after over a couple of years without... yikes.

This was back when my home typing business was going on. I realize that the people who gave me chocolates as tips meant well; they thought I would appreciate a nice box of chocolates closer to Christmas instead of a cash tip.

Well, my dad reaped the rewards of all of those except one particular box that I decided to keep for if/when I figured out what was going on that had made me unable to tolerate chocolate. It was very tasty stuff when I was finally able to have it.

I just ate a frozen, microwavable egg. Is it as good as a fresh egg? No. But I don't happen to have any fresh eggs. Somehow I think I'll survive.
It hasn't happened to hatch, has it? ;)

These things are either in the form of an egg patty (the sort of thing you'd find in an Egg McMuffin) or in a single-serving quiche.

I do have something that's supposed to be useful for cooking eggs in the microwave, but I'm not willing to spend the money for a full dozen until I know if I can do it right. Eggs used to be sold in either 6, 12, or 18 per carton, but for some reason the 6-packs aren't available now.

For whatever reason, my hours of productivity seem to exist exclusively now during late nights and when I should normally be going to bed.

Wake up at 8:30 AM? Enjoy a full day of garbage. But at the early hour of 9:00 PM, you get to have a surge of productivity that lasts until 3:00 AM.

Anyway, it's 3:00 AM right now.
Your biological clock is... very much biological, with a genetic component apparently.
Which made me conclude that it's not worth fighting it. Try to go as much with the flow as it's socially convenient. Will effectively make you happier at the end.
The current boogeyman of the month when it comes to unhealthy food is "ultra-processed foods". The BMJ has two research articles and an editorial about it.
[...]
How can this really be a useful classification for the healthyness of food? When you are grouping Coca-Cola in the same class as spaghetti is this actually a useful system?

People just know nothing about food. Even most of the experts. I'd not trust any advice besides that a) diverse food is good b) you should eat your fruits and veggies c) the less artificial it is, the "healthier" it is probably (exceptions apply to all of these). The rest beyond might contain a lot of nonsense.

My own rant: Housing market, worse than Tinder here :mad:.
Although that's a lie, I've had in 3 weeks 4 house viewings and 2 scheduled, but only 1 Tinder match which doesn't talk to me anymore.
EDIT: 4 viewings might sound good, but one apartment was crap, and for the last 2 I'm one out of 10 and 20 people who were invited to the viewing, so that could be a lot more promising.

I live in the countryside, so my major population centres are 15-30 miles away, neither of which is particularly good for dating apps.

Dating in person is for nerds.

Isn't that one of the terms usually applied to nearly everyone on this forum? We're all into gaming of some kind and most of us are into science fiction, fantasy, and have an interest in science and history.

Isn't that one of the terms usually applied to nearly everyone on this forum? We're all into gaming of some kind and most of us are into science fiction, fantasy, and have an interest in science and history.
I'm a cool jock.

Almost made it a full summer without any wildfire smoke. Alas, it did not last. Thankfully, this time it seems to be passing quick, but everything is quite orange now.

The annoying part is that my AC setup is jury-rigged enough that I cannot (easily) take it apart to close the windows without it taking an immense amount of effort to re-install afterward, so I am dealing with all the particulate nonsense. I've noticed my tolerance for particulates has lowered over the years. When wildfires became commonplace here, I could handle them pretty well, but now the headaches and throat pain are quick to come on.

Actually, I was sexually harassing Hygro over his baldness.

if this was 2012 I'd say go join a bronies forum

If my impression of what bronies forums were like is correct it wouldn't have much of the gender I'm attracted to

I'm sure there are female bronies too, just like there are probably female furries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom