Random Rants: --... ---.. Don't expect others to convert it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work for a building trades union where women really don't get to be the boss.
Is it mandatory for members to display the space between their thighs?

Or is it something that just happens naturally? Because it happens here too, maybe you lot have a sort of masonic lodge or something.

Or is it something that just happens naturally? Because it happens here too, maybe you lot have a sort of masonic lodge or something.

There's a deeply misogynist culture in the union and in the trade. There are hardly any women in non-administrative roles. One of my colleagues, who was hired at the same time is me, is the first woman of color to ever work on our international's staff.

I meant from the back. I sometimes think that elevator repairmen are required by ancient lawful custom to wear trousers that display at least four finger-widths of buttcrack.

Nah there's not too much of that. There's a formal dress code in the international HQ anyway.

I found something out about a former coworker today. I'm even angrier at him now than I was before.

I found something out about a former coworker today. I'm even angrier at him now than I was before.

working at Mickey D's is stressful

historian

get it :mischief:

EDIT: I need to be punished for this joke.

That could be arranged, you know. ;)

My wife's having an especially bad week and I knew today was going to be peak crappiness for her so I arranged to have a nice bouquet and chocolates delivered to her work. I even paid extra to have them delivered within a certain window.

They didn't come at all today. Unclear if they are going to come tomorrow. I've asked for a refund for the expedite fees and if they don't make the delivery tomorrow, I'm reversing all the charges with my bank.
It did show up around 8pm as we were headed off on a night walk so she could tell me all about how bad the day was. She really liked it and she showed the card to her coworkers. It is the shortest love note I've ever written and apparently the most well received. It just said: For my hero.
Anything you can share? Sounds like there's an interesting story there.

Can you please elaborate more about this issue? To be angry at a coworker is one thing but to former coworker that sound like (s)he did a conspiracy :undecide:

When I'm expecting parcels, I check my mail every day. There have been times when I've seen the Canada Post van pull up and I wait by the phone in case there's something that won't fit in the locker and they have to buzz me (or in case it's something where the seller requires a signature).

And in a lot of cases, there's no buzz, no knock, the van pulls away, and when I check later that day, I find the damn delivery notice.

Yes, I do phone Canada Post to complain. Just leaving a note does not constitute a genuine delivery attempt, and when the supervisor says the carrier swears he tried to contact me, I tell them he's lying. I don't care what the rules on the website say. This "one attempt and leave a note" crap means that every single one of them could just leave notes and never bother trying to contact the addressee, since they're not required to re-deliver.

This has happened a few times with UPS, when the driver didn't try to contact me. The last time was when a substitute driver pulled this stunt but the regular driver caught him at it the next day when he brought my new bookshelf and asked if I'd been home the day before. I told him yes, and he said the sub had claimed he buzzed and there was no answer. I told him I'd been home all day and hadn't even known the UPS van had come. So the regular driver said he was going to mention this to their supervisor.

What I didn't tell the CP agent yesterday is that if this falls through tomorrow, I am going to be emailing GoPublic - one of the CBC investigative journalism departments dealing with consumer issues where customers aren't treated fairly. Since naming and shaming is the only way that some companies are persuaded to do the right and ethical thing, and this has been going on for years, I'm finally angry enough to do it. At the very least, if they choose to investigate it, more people would be aware of this and try to get the rules changed.

You should do it ! ;) Sometime I think we should be whooped like that too. It is no pleasure answearing complaints calls daily. It is like a wave - we receive complaints here at the office , we punish them (in most cases cut a 100PLN from they payment) but still they don't seem to care because like I said earlier most of them are crappy paid outsourcing/part time couriers. That is why I think the future of parcel delivery is in drones ;)

"we punish them" - I meant the drivers , not the clients :D I really need to review my posts more often before hitting the submit button :blush:

Last edited:
What I didn't tell the CP agent yesterday is that if this falls through tomorrow, I am going to be emailing GoPublic - one of the CBC investigative journalism departments dealing with consumer issues where customers aren't treated fairly. Since naming and shaming is the only way that some companies are persuaded to do the right and ethical thing, and this has been going on for years, I'm finally angry enough to do it. At the very least, if they choose to investigate it, more people would be aware of this and try to get the rules changed.

I honestly find it amazing that it's taken you, of all people (and I don't mean that in a bad way), years to get angry enough about this to do something like that.

Small rant: A pizza place in the next town over caught fire. :( They had nice pizza too.

That is why I think the future of parcel delivery is in drones ;)
I can't see that working here. How would a drone deliver something to an apartment building?

Don't you have a porch. ;)

I can't see that working here. How would a drone deliver something to an apartment building?
:think: Maybe there could be designated drone delivery zones on the rooftops - drones could land on them and send a notification. If the system works maybe building admins would install a small elevator so that the receiver do not need to climb all the way up to the roof to get her parcel.

Or delivered to a lock box outside the building and they send you a code to open it.

Don't you have a porch. ;)
Where would I have a porch? I live in an apartment building, and there are two ways to get in here: Either through the door, which leads to a hallway, or via the balcony which is far enough above the ground that if I fell off it, I'd probably break my neck.

And don't say the drone could deliver to the balcony. I don't use my balcony because A. Mobility issues; it's unsafe for me; and B. The pigeons took it over last summer and it's full of pigeon crap. Also, in the winter we're not supposed to open the windows or balcony doors because there's a danger of the pipes freezing (they run along the length of the outside walls in the living room and bedrooms). So that's potentially October-April when we wouldn't be able to get deliveries via the balcony anyway.

And that's supposing the apartment even has a balcony. All of them do in this building, but not all apartments have balconies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom