Random Rants LVI: Raving Mad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I know- hell, there's probably places where it's worse than what I read in that article, but that article is about UVA, so UVA will get my scorn at this particular instant.

Just found out that the EB Games I went to this morning received a stack of Diancie event codes before I caught a train home, but I foolishly failed to check there again before trying 3 other stores on my way home extending a 75 minute commute into over 2 hours. I can only hope they still have some tomorrow morning, but knowing my luck I'll go an hour out of my way for the code and come up empty handed again.

I went in to uni today with the intention of removing myself from distractions to get some writing done. Instead I've spent my time almost entirely on CFC and reddit.

This always happen when I'm at uni. But that maybe because for me uni is a depressing place, so I needed the distractions.

So nowadays if I really need to get stuff done I go elsewhere.

Why do I waste my time with sending job applications and interviews when I get no job offer? It's getting frustrating each time I get a rejection letter. :wallbash:

This always happen when I'm at uni. But that maybe because for me uni is a depressing place, so I needed the distractions.

So nowadays if I really need to get stuff done I go elsewhere.
Normally I can go into the postgrad lab and work reasonably productively in there, but it was locked today and I didn't want to have to talk to people to get it opened, so I just went down to the library to work on my laptop. Needless to say my laptop is the biggest source of distraction for me, which tends to be concerning when I need to use a computer to do any of my work.

Also, additional rant I just remembered regarding my failed acquisitions on my way home. Not only did I fail to get the event Pokémon I was after, there were no copies of Kingswood's album available at JB. I've been wanting to listen to that album for a while now, but I just can't find it anywhere. :(

A communist carpenter is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.
QFT...

Rant: Failing one social interaction after another. How much more could I screw up?
Relax. I found that listening is the safest social interaction... As opposed to simply waiting for your turn to talk.

I found that listening is the safest social interaction... As opposed to simply waiting for your turn to talk.

You're right. But listening, and asking questions, is not without its pitfalls. If you do nothing else, before long people will begin to look at you suspiciously. You have to be known as someone who isn't afraid to share details about themselves too. Though other people will still rather talk about themselves most of the time.

So, I've found the best formula is to "agree and add just a little bit now and again".

Though, to be frank, I'm mostly past the stage of caring at all by now.

But enough about me, let's talk about you. What do you think of me?

I think you're a fine upstanding example of the species, Mr Nothin.

I think you're a fine upstanding example of the species, Mr Nothin.

Thanks!

Now, to expand.

There's a theory on successful social interaction that the key is to be consistently witty and charming. This has generally been discredited, since being witty and or charming, even in short bursts, takes a whole lot of skill and a good portion of luck...and doing so consistently is completely out of the question.

The next theory is that since people mostly like to talk, the key to success is to listen. This works really well in the short term, but as has been pointed out after a while someone who just listens gets identified as creepy.

I said what I said, because I think the key is to remember that it is an almost universal state of mind. The other person won't think you are creepy if you do your share of talking, and they won't mind if you are not consistently witty and charming as long as you are talking about them. In some complimentary manner of course. Try it.

Either one. The cat in my sporran used to be owned by some german called Erwin.

See the positive side: If you screw it up very hard, then you'll have some nice stories to tell ^^.

But no one will be there to hear them.

:(

Relax. I found that listening is the safest social interaction... As opposed to simply waiting for your turn to talk.

Thanks!

Now, to expand.

There's a theory on successful social interaction that the key is to be consistently witty and charming. This has generally been discredited, since being witty and or charming, even in short bursts, takes a whole lot of skill and a good portion of luck...and doing so consistently is completely out of the question.

The next theory is that since people mostly like to talk, the key to success is to listen. This works really well in the short term, but as has been pointed out after a while someone who just listens gets identified as creepy.

I said what I said, because I think the key is to remember that it is an almost universal state of mind. The other person won't think you are creepy if you do your share of talking, and they won't mind if you are not consistently witty and charming as long as you are talking about them. In some complimentary manner of course. Try it.

I like to think that is what I do, but I more just stumble here and there and go nowhere. Especially starting or ending conversations. I think people think I'm cold or not-interested because I can't start talking, or that I'm overeager/annoying when I overstay my welcome and don't stop talking. It gets me nowhere and keeps me lonely. I think I've lost more potential friends than I can count because of this, unless I'm just screwy and didn't understand their intentions.

Rant: UNIVERSITY BUREAUCRACY! Who the hell puts a computer in charge of things? And who the hell puts idiots in charge of the computers?

Rant: UNIVERSITY BUREAUCRACY! Who the hell puts a computer in charge of things? And who the hell puts idiots in charge of the computers?

The bureaucracy expands to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom