Random Rants LVI: Raving Mad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should have a period at the end of that sentence, Civ'ed.

And maybe an apostrope somewhere to.

I was perfectly aware of grammatical errors in the post, which is exactly why I made them.
Also, wrong "to".

What does "high-falutin' vernacular" mean? Surely the vernacular can never be "high-falutin'"; by definition.

I was perfectly aware of grammatical errors in the post, which is exactly why I made them.
Also, wrong "to".
You missed his misspelling of the word 'apostrophe'.
As a proponent of linguistic descriptivism over linguistic prescriptivism, I can agree wholeheartedly.
But do you? :scan:

I think it's hilarious. No one cannot ever not make some faute d'orthographe at some stage. Or not fall into pretensiousness. (Who, moi?)

The harder you try the more it happens.

Yes, but Borachio has also mentioned ortographie.

RL Rant: There is a great cloud of black smoke coming from behind the building right across the street, I suspect something is on fire.

This is the very kind of jeu d'esprit up for which I was suggesting I could get.

What? Setting things on fire across the street from where I live?

Yes, but Borachio has also mentioned ortographie.

RL Rant: There is a great cloud of black smoke coming from behind the building right across the street, I suspect something is on fire.

Use of French in a English conversation is despicable and-
Wait. Huh.

If it is despicable, why do you have it in your sig? And, more importantly, why do you not use French accent marks propertly?

Continuing rant: the smoke is blacker and the cloud is larger. At least the wind is not blowing our way. Fire engines are coming already.

If it is despicable, why do you have it in your sig? And, more importantly, why do you not use French accent marks propertly?

Hm. An interesting issue, to be sure. I guess it's because some French words find their way into English, like... um... French?
I guess I really can't be excused for lack of accents, because I use a Swiss-German keyboard layout. I was hoping no one'd notice.

Ongoing fire report: the smoke cloud has now spread to behind a building which I know is far away. So it's an immensely huge cloud. I wonder what the hell it is that could be on fire that can keep burning for that long.

Hm. An interesting issue, to be sure. I guess it's because some French words find their way into English, like... um... French?
I guess I really can't be excused for lack of accents, because I use a Swiss-German keyboard layout. I was hoping no one'd notice.

I'm not an expert, but I don't think French is a French word.

This isn't really working as it should...
The new project, which the main prof assigned me to on Wednesday (additionally to the rest of the work), and which actually sounded relatively reasonable and doable, turns out to be otherwise a problem. The postdoc who was supposed to brief me on that will talk to the main prof to get me out of it again, due to all these problems, because she thinks it's not worth it. Yeah, should've suspected something like this.
While this will make some work vanish, it takes away something which actually sounded good, and I'll probably have another meeting with the prof, to discuss other options. Yeah, great.
In the fallout of this at least another project got re-assigned, not my bussiness anymore. Not that it helps much, but yeah, it's at least a tiny bit.

Oh, and some of my friends are nuts.
We're going to play boardgames tomorrow. Nice.
From 2 o'clock on....seriously? Yes, I don't have a life, but I'd like to sleep late on weekends.
Also I'll have to do all the planned (and promised) work for the weekend only on Sunday.
Yeah, that's a weird rant.

If it's a game of Risk, you're not starting early enough.

Na, more likely a round of Arkham Horror, but even then we'll be latest done at 10. Which is not too late for a Saturday. But even Arkham Horror isn't likely, more some games in the range of 2-3 hours.
But yeah, gonna see.
So early, na, really, don't want.

You like to sleep late on a weekend and somehow that stops you from making a 2 pm arrangement. What sort of time do you call 'late' then??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom