Random Rants LXXIII: "You've had this place redecorated, haven't you? I don't like it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you live in an apartment flat or an isolated house?

If you live in an apartment flat, it is perhaps possible that sonmeone else's toilet got blocked and they had
someone high pressure air blast their way through and of course your sewage pipe joins up with theirs.

It's a single family house with an upstairs and a downstairs bathroom. In theory a blockage would overflow the downstairs when the upstairs was used.

But there are splatterings of tissue paper on the shower door across the room 4 feet high off the floor.... This toilet did not overflow, it popped. :dubious:

Spoiler :
Looks interesting.

Of course I'll never get to try that. We don't get the interesting stuff here.

So many flavors of Lays chips that are available at London Drugs somewhere... probably only in Toronto, in-store. But they keep including them on the website, for some reason.

When the inevitable planet-wide magnetic field mess-up happens, one will have to know how to read a sun-dial :)
At least the light pollution problem will be solved. About 35 years ago I used to be able to guesstimate the time of night by the position of Orion.

There's so much light pollution here, I consider myself lucky to see the Moon and Jupiter.

It's a single family house with an upstairs and a downstairs bathroom. In theory a blockage would overflow the downstairs when the upstairs was used.

But there are splatterings of tissue paper on the shower door across the room 4 feet high off the floor.... This toilet did not overflow, it popped. :dubious:
Where does it drain off to? Is it just a septic pit/tank or is it connected to the sewage network?

Where does it drain off to? Is it just a septic pit/tank or is it connected to the sewage network?

It's city sewers. And there's no possibility of the sewer network itself backing up into the house. Now I'm fairly sure there's something wrong with the air vents in the house system. But without starting to tear down walls, I have no access to investigate. But this is weird, even by that standard.

My self-worth
You're CFC's tosheroon.
It's city sewers. And there's no possibility of the sewer network itself backing up into the house. Now I'm fairly sure there's something wrong with the air vents in the house system. But without starting to tear down walls, I have no access to investigate. But this is weird, even by that standard.
Oh. If it was a pit I could've proposed solutions other than just ‘call the plumber’. I used to live in a house with such an arrangement a long time ago.
Tearing down walls it is, then. They're some sort of plywood/durlock thing, right? Not actual masonry with cement and bricks and heavy-duty steel girders?

Rant: I love how downloading chunks of software always has about an hour of time remaining, no matter how large the file nor how long it's been downloading.

You're CFC's tosheroon.

Oh. If it was a pit I could've proposed solutions other than just ‘call the plumber’. I used to live in a house with such an arrangement a long time ago.
Tearing down walls it is, then. They're some sort of plywood/durlock thing, right? Not actual masonry with cement and bricks and heavy-duty steel girders?

It's sheetrock. But it's also a lot of work.

Call a plumber, a good plumber should have a pipe-cam(essentially a camera on the end of a flexible line that can go town toilets and drains into pipes to inspect them from inside)

I'm currently living in Bloomington-Normal, Illinois, and I've been applying for entry-level lab jobs. Every single job I've found to apply for has been in one of the other small cities in central Illinois, ~50 miles away from me in various directions.

If everyone in the Peoria, Springfield, Bloomington, Decatur, Champaign, and Danville metro areas decided to pick one city, all move there, and abandon the rest, we'd have a nice respectable city of 1.2 million. Large enough for there to be a lot of stuff, but not so large that it turns into an overwhelming giant metropolis like a certain oversized place to my north. Instead, we ended up with 6 cities, each an hour away from its closest neighbors, none big enough to have a diverse economy, all scattered across the whole midsection of the state.

Took our phones to guy to replace the screens we cracked. Got one of the phones back and he broke the volume buttons. So now we get to find out if hellhdo the right thing and fix it again or argue it wasn't his fault.

Also he said he had everything to fix our phones completely when we called but he is making me come back today to fix the back glass on one of the phones because he didn't have the parts after all.

Related rant: glass on the back of phones is so freaking stupid and pointless

I'm currently living in Bloomington-Normal, Illinois, and I've been applying for entry-level lab jobs. Every single job I've found to apply for has been in one of the other small cities in central Illinois, ~50 miles away from me in various directions.

If everyone in the Peoria, Springfield, Bloomington, Decatur, Champaign, and Danville metro areas decided to pick one city, all move there, and abandon the rest, we'd have a nice respectable city of 1.2 million. Large enough for there to be a lot of stuff, but not so large that it turns into an overwhelming giant metropolis like a certain oversized place to my north. Instead, we ended up with 6 cities, each an hour away from its closest neighbors, none big enough to have a diverse economy, all scattered across the whole midsection of the state.

Were you a Redbird? I spent a fair amount of time in Bloomington for work and traveling there was always a pain in the butt. I live far enough away (in Michigan) that flying was an option but the way the airlines work I always had a couple hour layover in Chicago, which meant that driving was actually faster. Of course that meant I had to endure the dreaded I-94/I-80 stretch from Gary, Indiana *shudder* through the southern suburbs of Chicago. If all those cities were consolidated, it would have been a big enough city that I could have gotten a direct flight instead of spending all that wasted time in a car/airport.

I'm a computer scientist, but I have regular meetings away from the computer (yeah, could get a laptop...but...naaah), so I regularly use my hand writing.
Looks horribly, and is mostly unreadable for anyone else, but I do write.
How do you make any notes o_O?

I'm a software developer myself and my meetings are usually with the business analysts or testing team. Notes for those meetings are usually taken collaboratively and put in some project management software. Making sure everyone is on the same page is important and if everyone has their own handwritten notes doesn't really work that well, especially for large projects or if people are working remotely.

Guess we're more "old fashioned", given that one of the people normally writes down the summary after the meeting and emails it around ^^.

Rant: My promotor said he'll send comments for the intro of my PhD thesis "later".
He has said since May 1 to comment, we postponed the deadline twice (once because I lied to them about the actual deadline, and once because apparently it's easily possible for 1 week), he knows I need to print tomorrow.... and it's 6:30 PM, without anything yet.
Not sure if this is to laugh or to cry.
Good thing about it: If this one is over, I don't have to deal with him anymore.

CT scan came back. Definitely a thyroid tumor. I had to schedule a biopsy with another doctor and spent half an hour dealing with the dumbest receptionist I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with. Based on the blood work, I'm pretty sure it's not cancer but I have to really think about whether or not I want them to take the rest of the thyroid out entirely as a precaution.

They wanted to take the whole thing out when I was a teenager but that was pre-Obamacare and I was about to age out of insurance so I couldn't afford thyroid meds and would have died if they took the whole thing then. It sucks living in a country where if you are sick and don't have money then screw you, die is the default.

I really don't want to remove my thyoid if I can avoid it but I'll defer to the doctors.

CT scan came back. Definitely a thyroid tumor. I had to schedule a biopsy with another doctor and spent half an hour dealing with the dumbest receptionist I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with. Based on the blood work, I'm pretty sure it's not cancer but I have to really think about whether or not I want them to take the rest of the thyroid out entirely as a precaution.

They wanted to take the whole thing out when I was a teenager but that was pre-Obamacare and I was about to age out of insurance so I couldn't afford thyroid meds and would have died if they took the whole thing then. It sucks living in a country where if you are sick and don't have money then screw you, die is the default.

I really don't want to remove my thyoid if I can avoid it but I'll defer to the doctors.

Sucks breeze, my dad had to get his (cancerous) thyroid removed when I was about four, I don't remember it that well.

I'm sorry Hobbs, I really am. I hope they can fix it all up and you'll be well again.

I'm pretty sure my dad had his thyroid removed back in the 70's, don't know exactly why though, i'd have to ask. Also my brother had hodgkin's lymphoma, or as he called it "Lazy Man's Cancer" since the treatment consisted sitting in a chair and being pumped full of poisons. Plus he had his drivers license photo renewed during his treatment so his drivers license has a photo of him with no hair or eyebrows.:cringe:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom