• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Random Rants Q': I protest against subtitles

Status
Not open for further replies.
and maybe the 7th consecutive "day" that the webcafe computer re-starts , deleting everything so far downloaded . ı wasn't surprised it died at 1 hours and 40 minutes of starting because it was like just a minute away from finishing a download . To repeat ı would have to wait at least another 2 hours that would take me out of time slot available for the webcafe . Just do NOT ever define the response as savage , it will be just about right .

I walked yesterday to the beach and back, roughly 5 km.
Turns out my feet didn't like that, since I haven't done that for at least 2 months (running is different).
The cream with diclofenac didn't help, but the pill finally did. Was only awake in bed for 2.5h :mad:.

Oh man, getting packages shipped here is still a nightmare.
I had ordered stuff, which apparently UPS tried to deliver at exactly the one point in time last week when I was not at home (seems I was doing groceries... I think).
They didn't leave a notice.
The parcel shop is less than 100m down the road, so that is not an issue, but the guy will not give out any packages without the physical notice. Which I don't have.
The UPS website allows you to schedule another delivery, but only with a code which is on the previous delivery notice. Which I don't have.
So that package will sit there down the road until July 8, when it will get shipped back.
Similar to my last package, which was delivered elsewhere, and couldn't be found.
Oh man.
:gripe:

It seems like people on the subway have gone back to being self-absorbed [bone]heads. Just this morning, an elderly man - like, really elderly, walking with a cane and everything - got on and none of the four able-bodied people sitting in the seats near the doors moved a muscle. Then when I was getting off, a woman with one of those SUV-sized carriages for todlers was just standing right in front of the doors, forcing the 6-8 of us trying to exit the train to squirm around her. I suppose it won't be long before the BMOCs and prom queens who think they own the entire city will be back. Oh well. I guess the holiday I got from these [tools] couldn't last forever. :dunno:

I had ordered stuff, which apparently UPS tried to deliver at exactly the one point in time last week when I was not at home (seems I was doing groceries... I think).
If UPS didn't leave a delivery-notice, then you could probably argue that — regardless of any claim that they might make to the contrary — they didn't make a genuine attempt to deliver your package. So contacting the seller to cancel the order (due to non-delivery) — or at least, threaten to cancel — might actually be your best option.

A couple of months back, my wife ordered a new living-room chair from a furniture company in France(?). According to the order-tracking, it was dispatched almost immediately, but then it sat for weeks in the delivery company's warehouse. They finally tried to deliver it last week, but no-one was home, and although they did leave a note, she couldn't get the delivery rescheduled (customer 'service' put her on hold for 45+ minutes, only to then tell her that they couldn't /wouldn't do it, for some arbitrary reason which currently escapes me).

So late last week, she phoned the manufacturer to cancel the order, and — just 'coincidentally', I'm sure! — the chair was delivered yesterday. Presumably because it was cheaper/easier for the delivery company to do that, than to ship it back to France (the warehouse is in the Hamburg area, so much closer to our house, than to the border).

You remind me that I actually need to check how that goes.
The last company (H&M) had as policy if a package gets returned, you automatically get the money re-imbursed. Not sure if that is with this company now, will check later.
Because my plan had just been to re-order it, to a different parcel shop, and be done with it, but I guess I should check first.

EDIT: Okay, they do the same, so no problem.
I tried to see if maybe someone at the UPS hotline speaks English, so that they can maybe re-schedule a delivery, and I also had all my questions already translated into French, with the hope someone might understand me. But the UPS hotline has at least 2 levels of machine interactions, the last one I don't understand. So I guess they'll return it.
Not great for the environment. Despite the supplier having a French website, the stuff got actually shipped here from NL, so it will be shipped back too. Just for me to order it again to France, to then take the stuff back to NL.
Nobody check my carbon footprint please.

Last edited:
Oh man, getting packages shipped here is still a nightmare.
The parcel shop is less than 100m down the road, so that is not an issue, but the guy will not give out any packages without the physical notice. Which I don't have.
The UPS website allows you to schedule another delivery, but only with a code which is on the previous delivery notice. Which I don't have.
So that package will sit there down the road until July 8, when it will get shipped back.
Similar to my last package, which was delivered elsewhere, and couldn't be found.
Oh man.
:gripe:
I once made a lolpic in which I said that UPS stands for Ungodly Pathetic Service.

On two occasions the driver went to the apartment building. The first time, he buzzed the suite (which made the phone ring). Then when I answered it, he just breathed into the intercom. I couldn't actually see him, so I didn't know it was UPS. So I figured whoever buzzed must have hit the wrong number and ignored it.

Then the phone call came (automated, with a snotty attitude). I called the local office - warehouse all the way across town, nowhere near a bus stop. No, they would not redeliver. I needed the item urgently, so I had to get my city map and take the bus to the south end of town, and on foot, try to find this place in a maze of warehouses. Eventually I did find the place and eventually the person behind the counter got her backside in gear to find my item. I told her next time I had a delivery, tell the driver he's actually supposed to speak into the intercom when I answer, because how would I know it was UPS wanting into the building?

Apparently the driver was unable to understand that having both the apartment number and my name meant that I lived in that apartment. :wallbash:

Fast-forward a couple of years, and I'd ordered 6 identical bookshelves from Jysk. The day I was expecting them, I suddenly started getting identical phone calls from the same snotty-sounding automated system. I realized, here we go again... except this time nobody had buzzed the suite. So to head off getting four more calls, I phoned the local place and told them to redeliver. They said no, and I told them the driver hadn't even made an attempt to buzz my suite, knock on my door, or even holler at me from the parking lot. And since I was physically disabled and didn't drive, there was no way that I could, or would go fetch this stuff myself. Besides which I had paid for delivery and I don't live in the lobby.

So they reluctantly agreed to redeliver, and I said also, would you cancel the other four annoying phone calls I was probably supposed to get when I hung up the phone.

I got my shelves... and for awhile later, there was a really good driver on that route... handy because around that time Amazon and the Marketplace sellers I usually used was using UPS to deliver books... and I was ordering a lot of books back then. Finally the driver asked why didn't I order all this stuff at once so I didn't have to get deliveries several times a week. I told him that's not how Marketplace orders work - the seller chooses the delivery service, it's not Amazon's decision. And since these items were coming from various places in the U.S. and U.K., I couldn't expect everything to take the same amount of time to get here (seriously, I can - or could, pre-pandemic - get a book faster from the U.K. than from Ontario).

It helps to have a good regular driver for another reason: One time I was supposed to get a delivery and found a notice that a delivery was attempted, I wasn't home, so come get the thing. I didn't find the notice until after office hours, so I was not looking forward to arguing this crap AGAIN (I was home). But the next day I got a knock at the door and it was the regular driver. He asked if I'd been away yesterday, I said no, and he said, "that's what I figured, since you're always home." Then he explained it had been his day off and his substitute had claimed I wasn't home. He was upfront about saying he figured his sub had lied - hadn't even tried to buzz me, to avoid the "hardship" of bringing my item up one floor by elevator and down the hall. So the regular driver went and got my item, brought it right inside (another shelf, this time a heavier one I couldn't possibly have managed myself), and that situation was fixed.

Amazon does its own deliveries now, although the Marketplace sellers still use a hodgepodge. DHS is particularly bad, especially for their shady practice of tacking on "duties" the customer doesn't actually owe (CBC Marketplace did a segment on this company on their Go Public feature). They did that to me - slapped duty on a couple of books that was more than the combined cost of the books - and when I told them that books were not charged duty for such a low amount, they refused to remove the charge. The books were being held at the post office until I paid, which I had no plans to do.

So I called the seller, told them what happened, and said I was leaving the books at the post office, and they would be returned in 15 days, and therefore I wanted a refund of the books + shipping (the charges were in addition to shipping). They were shocked; they hadn't known this courier company would do this, and agreed to a refund. Then I phoned the post office and told them the reason why I would not be in to pick up the books and to just return them. They said they still had to wait 15 days and I "might change my mind." I said no, the courier service was playing fast and loose with bogus charges, so just return the stuff.

It's been awhile since I ordered books. The shelves are full now, and I've discovered that Kindle has these things called sales. So now I've got almost the whole Cadfael series on Kindle (there are 3 titles which they stubbornly refuse to put on sale and the physical book costs less than the Kindle version for some reason).

It seems like people on the subway have gone back to being self-absorbed [bone]heads. Just this morning, an elderly man - like, really elderly, walking with a cane and everything - got on and none of the four able-bodied people sitting in the seats near the doors moved a muscle. Then when I was getting off, a woman with one of those SUV-sized carriages for todlers was just standing right in front of the doors, forcing the 6-8 of us trying to exit the train to squirm around her. I suppose it won't be long before the BMOCs and prom queens who think they own the entire city will be back. Oh well. I guess the holiday I got from these [tools] couldn't last forever. :dunno:
What profoundly annoys me about those gigantic "strollers" is that often the kid is old enough to walk or the mom carries the kid and just uses the "stroller" to carry her shopping, purse, snacks, and other stuff. So it's no more than a shopping cart disguised as a stroller and I - a physically disabled rider - was once told to move out of the disabled seating so this woman and her gigantic shopping cart masquerading as a stroller could have the space.

I complained to the supervisor about that. They whined that what were they supposed to do if the bus was full? I told them that this seating is designated for seniors and disabled - and healthy young women pushing gigantic shopping carts and carrying their kid are not disabled. If the bus is full, they can take the next one, like disabled people in wheelchairs have had to do on occasion when there was no room to accommodate them.

Thank goodness I qualified for the handibus. No gigantic strollers there.

Until now, we've been pretty untouched by covid. Early on, the Governor closed down the airport and the seaport, and this has been pretty effective and stifling the spread. No more. I found out last night that we in Garcia have it. :scared: Rules which have been laxly enforced, are now back. :trouble: Police are clearing people off the beach next to my house. I can still use my pass on Wednesdays and Thursdays to go into Tag to my bank, the supermarkets, and the department stores, but sheesh. :sad:

You need a pass to go to the supermarket?

Oooof, I know the pain. Currently we're not doing that because it was simply impracticable.

Drove 1 1/2 hours to the bank today. It was closed because of the Foundation Day holiday. :gripe:

Last edited:
so ı was like happily using my tablet , wasn't the best around but it worked . Had a scratch , got a cover / screensaver and went down in a week , apparently skmething as simple as water seeping inside ? It can be hard having a well intentioned older brother ... who got me get a brand , certainly not Chinese . Hurts my eyes until ı will manage to find the size to read , 135% seems better , complicated stuff with me closing all possible aids or whatever for like a good service ... Will always save to an flash memory thing except it needs a needle to open the port and despite older brother already having showed me once , ı will have to ask him again ...

so , the set of people who had worked on my tablet which just had a scratch on the surface , did your supervisor or whatever who had already arrived on the floor as ı was paying , angry but not at me , unwilling to sell you , did he said anything gross ?

Today I was supposed to get my second covid shot.

When I got to the pharmacy, I was told they didn't have any doses and that they might come later today.

Since I'd had to arrange a ride, staying two more hours in the pharmacy was not an option. So I did not get my covid shot.

I really hate this government.

The replacement mouse won't arrive until Wednesday. This one isn't completely done for, but I'm hesitant to open it up and try some cleaning until I have replacement in case something goes wrong, and my previous backup mouse seems to be a goner.

I'm hoping I can eventually save this one to be a backup...it served me well for five years, not bad for 25 EUR cheap "gaming" mouse.

Some of you might remember a former user of this site called Timsup2nothin. After being permabanned, he assembled a Discord server for his friends and other good people from CFC. He largely succeeded. Some of you are in that server. It is generally a better place than CFC has become, and the people in general are great, with a couple exceptions.

One such exception is Tim. He is generally nice and fun. He is pretty charming. He also seems to have very little regard for other people's boundaries.

Some time ago he tried to flirt with me and I told him he was not welcome. I mean there aren't real expectations of anything given factors such as distance age and civil status, but still I think I was pretty clear.

Undeterred, Tim continued to more or less jokingly flirt with or hit on me, encountering always a negative and still being undeterred. Even when I started being contemptuous of him elsewhere on the Discord, much to his bafflement (he considered me a friend, and I probably considered him one before it started), he kept going.

A couple days ago I confronted him, I called him creepy and disgusting, I told him to f*** himself, and he laughed it off, insisted that "you never know when new information might change your decision", and belittled and dismissed me with the most repulsive line anyone has thrown at me yet: "hit on her, she gets mad. stop hitting on her, she gets sad".

I am paraphrasing from memory, but you get his great vibe of earnest respect and totally not misogyny.

So I left. Some of you are there and don't know yet, some of you do, some of you aren't even there. But yeah. It sucked. I met my girlfriend there and plenty other awesome people that I cannot talk to like I used to anymore.

I can't say that if you're there you should leave, or to not buy his book. If you're not me you're probably going to be fine, and the place is worth it for the people. I just can't be there anymore.

Also, ^$@*^ Tim. :)

Moderator Action: I edited your "bad" word. --Birdjaguar

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry to hear that, Jo. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom