Random Rants Q': I protest against subtitles

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: Normal house mous, genus "mus", subgenus also "mus" :gripe:.
EDIT2: What the hell, having mouse makes no sense for me :gripe:.
I am with you on the first bit, but calling the normal mouse "mousy mouse mouse" rather than all those other mice seems reasonable.

Last edited:
Well, I just spent the last forty-five minutes repairing the "S" key on my laptop. I'm pretty sure I broke the hinge somehow, but as you can see I'm able to type and the key doesn't seem to be giving me any other problems. It looks a little loose and feels a little loose compared to the others, although that could just be my own bias because I know it was giving me a problem before.

I tried looking for other keys to replace the guts with: my first choice was the Windows key, because who in the ... fudge ... uses it? Unfortunately, however, it seems as though the hinges for those keys are not the same despite the fact they are the same size. If it really annoys me, I might look under the plus/equals key as that gets less used than all the other standard alphabet keys plus the numbers.

Win E and win X shortcuts. Use them more.

@Narz Other than watching my lifting or stressing my abdominal muscles, I was mostly back to normal within a few days.

I think the last time I actually slept, as in in my bed, for at least several hours as opposed to nodding off in front of the computer or missing the last 20 minutes of Big Brother on Thursday, was... Monday? Maybe Tuesday? By this time I have no idea, and after I passed the 40-hour point of being awake and not being tired at that point... why am I not asleep right now?

I've produced coherent NaNoWriMo material, read the news and posted coherent comments, am in the midst of composing two very long posts about the Dune movie on two different forums (it's taking a loooong time, since I'm doing some fact-checking to support my argument over at TrekBBS that it's stupid to gender-swap the character of Liet-Kynes because it really does so matter, according to the novel), posted in the Grumpy Old Ladies thread on another gaming forum (hey, most of us are over 50 and have our issues that annoy us, but it's also a group where two or three of them have been very encouraging of my writing, since a couple have actually played the game I've been writing about for almost three years and somebody asked a question...), have been reading some Robin of Sherwood fanfic (thanks, @Zardnaar, for sidetracking me from Harry Potter - which is actually not a bad thing)...

Basically, why am I still mostly mentally alert after getting less than 6 hours' sleep over the past 5 days?

And of course Saturday is the one day of the week when I have to stay awake, at least until the groceries get delivered...

Sunrises have been weird. The Sun is RED. It's due to the wildfires and forest fires west of here (mostly in BC). At least the temperature isn't so horribly hot now, though the air is smoky and hazy from the fires.

I keep getting notifications from Amazon that one of the Marketplace sellers is really insistent that I post a review of the jigsaw puzzle I bought recently. Hello, give me a chance to put the thing together first! It's a 1000-piece one and I don't even have my puzzle table set up yet...

Need to get back to Sherwood. Side tracked by Taskmaster. Stupid British panel shows.

If you're going to get sidetracked by anything, Taskmaster is about as good as it comes. :)

@Valka D'Ur you got less than 6 hours sleep in 5 days? I got sleeping problem, but that's even more severe than me. Keep yourselves dehydrated, makes your room cool enough and dark, and think that you are just a piece of log in a wood, or a rock, sometime it works for me.

I've produced coherent NaNoWriMo material, read the news and posted coherent comments, am in the midst of composing two very long posts about the Dune movie on two different forums (it's taking a loooong time, since I'm doing some fact-checking to support my argument over at TrekBBS that it's stupid to gender-swap the character of Liet-Kynes because it really does so matter, according to the novel)

Ugh. Personally, I hate genderswaps in principle, feels disrespectful to the original author. IIRC Kynes was forced by Harkonnens by holding his wife and child (or children) hostage.

@Valka D'Ur you got less than 6 hours sleep in 5 days? I got sleeping problem, but that's even more severe than me. Keep yourselves dehydrated, makes your room cool enough and dark, and think that you are just a piece of log in a wood, or a rock, sometime it works for me.
I actually accidentally got about 4 hours' sleep this morning. I just intended to rest for an hour or so before putting in my grocery order. But suddenly I woke up, discovered it was just after 12 noon (noon is the cutoff for orders) and promptly called the store and let them know I still wanted my stuff and could I give them my list for the week. They said it was okay (I have a reserved spot every Saturday), so my order is now in. I have stay awake now because I have no idea when the stuff is coming - could be an hour from now or not until this evening, depending on how busy they are and who the delivery person is (the late afternoon/evening person does this as a second job as he actually manages another branch of this store in a neighboring town and doesn't get off work until 5 pm).

I think you mean I should keep myself hydrated... you just told me to avoid drinking. ;)

Not to worry. I have lots to drink around, though of course I can't do it when I'm asleep. Water, milk, watermelon juice, drinkable yogurt...

I will certainly make the effort to sleep after the groceries come, though. I think this current situation is partly due to stress, partly due to the weather (which has been bizarre for most of the last month), and partly because there are a few conversations that I'm trying to get done (and people keep posting, so it's hard to keep up).

Oh, and next rant: It looks like my favorite kind of tinned mackerel is discontinued (or at least this store no longer carries it), and the store is out of onion & garlic potato chips. My life is completely ruined now.

:p

Ugh. Personally, I hate genderswaps in principle, feels disrespectful to the original author. IIRC Kynes was forced by Harkonnens by holding his wife and child (or children) hostage.
Thank you! Everyone else has been insisting it's no big deal, what's the fuss, and they've even tried to tell me it doesn't matter because there's no way to tell that Chani is even connected to Liet-Kynes (and they wouldn't budge even after I posted the relevant clip from the Lynch movie and stated that the dialogue is directly from the novel: "I am Chani, daughter of Liet").

Fact: "Liet" is Kynes' Fremen name, and he married into Stilgar's tribe. Liet-Kynes was married to Stilgar's sister, meaning Chani is Stilgar's niece. Chani's mother died some time before the opening events of the novel, so Kynes' death makes her an orphan. So I told them over at TrekBBS that it would be weird (not to mention completely against Fremen custom) if a female Kynes married Stilgar's sister, as I don't think it's stated either in the novel or the Encyclopedia that Stilgar has a blood-kin brother, though he refers to Kynes as his brother (implication being that a brother-in-law is basically considered to be a brother as far as tribal acceptance is concerned).

Given the patriarchal attitudes of the Imperium (the Fremen culture is also patriarchal; even though they respect and usually take advice from their Reverend Mothers - the Fremen equivalent of the Bene Gesserit, who are keepers of Fremen history through Other Memory - the Naibs of the sietches are always male and they make the decisions for the tribe), I very much doubt that it would be acceptable to the Fremen that a female Kynes could marry Stilgar's sister, and a woman wouldn't have been granted that kind of authority by the Emperor in the first place. The notion that a female Kynes could marry Stilgar's nonexistent brother and produce a daughter... is just people being deliberately obtuse.

As for the collaboration with the Harkonnens... (spoilered in case the movie actually does follow the book a bit and includes the subplot in which the Duke and Paul know there's a traitor but not who)
Spoiler :
that wasn't Kynes. It was Yueh. Piter deVries figured out how to subvert Yueh's conditioning (that every Suk doctor has, to make it impossible for them to harm the patients they serve), by taking Yueh's wife (a Bene Gesserit named Wanna) hostage and forcing Yueh to do the Baron's bidding or they would harm her. Yueh doesn't have children that I remember.

I think you mean I should keep myself hydrated... you just told me to avoid drinking. ;)

:blush:
Spoiler :
that's right...

Anyway from what I read milk and yoghurt is really good to help your sleep. Drink water also, it helps the kidney. And I hope you can pretend yourselves as a tree trunk in a calm forest and went to sleep. To feel tired is a nice feeling, but better is to feel sleepy, sleepy is a nice feeling, but sleeping is even better than that.

That's because "mus" is supposed to be an ypsilon, and have an "e" sound. "Mous" with omicron-ypsilon is what happens when it becomes latin. As you might recall, it is usual in biology to have the type and subtype be the same term etymologically, but one in greek one in latin euboean greek :p

It's actually Latin and more Latin.

It's giving and taking. :)

Whisky. Computer. Boss. Team. Partner. Leader. Fan. All words I use and hear every day, and I could list many more... Of some I could find a substitute, but hey, that's not how languages work!

The BBC is so totally in the governments pocket. Here is the top of the BBC news homepage and that of Al Jazeera. Top article on Al Jazeera is protests in the UK. No mention on the BBC. Loads of globally important stuff going on, 2 out of 4 on BBC are sport.

Spoiler Pictures of home pages :

I'm sure there's something in healthy and safety regs about requiring adequate toilet facilities on site (in the UK, at least). Can't they get in a portaloo?

They can. Whether they will depends on how large and long lasting the problem turns out to be. Plus, you have to have land to place them on. You can't just drop one on a city sidewalk.

@Samson I had a look at the NHK’s main news site since we’re the Olympic host (like a host to a parasite) and here’s the top five stories:

1. Today’s Olympic events schedule
  2. Moderna vaccine—3/4 people develop fevers after 2nd dose
  3. Typhoon approaching, may land on Tuesday
  4. Over 35c temps across western Japan—heatstroke warning
  5. Beach accidents increase nationally
I’m actually surprised they didn’t fill up the whole page with Olympic stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom