Random Rants : Someone is wrong on the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also my rant is that all threads on page 1 of OT are really boring to me but I can't think of anything new & exciting to post about myself.

Rant: I completely forgot to attend the Battle of the Nations in Prague, and now it's too late. Just like I forgot to register for a French or Arabic class in time. I've barely traveled at all and I keep forgetting to do anything fun.

If you ever plan on visiting Barcelona, warn in advance. :)

If you ever plan on visiting Barcelona, warn in advance. :)

If any of my friends let me know they're going in that direction, I'll try to go with them and let you know! At least two of the students in my group are Catalan.

Apparently it isnt unusual here to go to Germany.

So there is a bunch of kids playing ball and banging on the garage doors of the building with footballs. I am just above the garages. Every hit resonates through the garage door and the walls and through my nerves. It's been going on for months, multiple times a day at various times. I talked to the parents. I pointed out we have built a park for the kids so they don't play on the parking courtyard. I have stolen their balls while they slept. The parents are rich so they have like 20 balls. I do not want this conflict to escalate.

I think you have the choice of two strategies:

1. Move house;
2. Sow the playing area with land mines.

Third option. Go out and meet the kids. Play ball with them. Once you have gotten in with them a bit ask them if there isn't a better place to play ball than on the paved lot. Let them show you the park. Rave enthusiastically about the park while getting them in the habit of playing there. Then abandon the little scum for the punks they are.

Yeah. I can see that working. Not.

Ask the kids round here if there isn't a better place to play and they'll likely tell you "No. We like it here just fine. Now eff off, you interfering old man*. And if you don't we'll report you for child abuse."

Nope. There's only two viable options: move or use overwhelming violence.

*applicable to anyone over 23

Yeah. I can see that working. Not.

Ask the kids round here if there isn't a better place to play and they'll likely tell you "No. We like it here just fine. Now eff off, you interfering old man*. And if you don't we'll report you for child abuse."

Nope. There's only two viable options: move or use overwhelming violence.

*applicable to anyone over 23

I'm in my fifties and play catch with the neighborhood kids on my girlfriends block all the time. When they play in front of her house our dogs go berserk in the window, but if I go play with them the dogs just lay down and watch. If I don't come out they generally move down the street to where our dogs can't see them, and they tell me that they don't play in front of her house at all if my car isn't there. Kids aren't as discourteous as you make out...they just don't respond well to being ordered about, which is the approach most adults take.

Yes but I'll put an end to my life before using Linux. And seeing the prices for Mac makes me faint.

You're saying that you want to become undead so that you can join the evergrowing armies of the Linux. Excellent.

I expected that to be Vladimir Putin fixing a chainsaw with his shirt off while sitting on a bear.
Did he start posing for those shirtless pictures before or after Sarah Palin said she could see Russia from her porch? :hmm:

So to follow up, I figured out how to reassemble my lawnmower. But the cord I bought was too short. So wouldn't start it. Rather than going back to the store I decided to use some old cord I had that was lighter. After 3 tries I got the machine back together. Started it once. And on the second time I tried to start it, the cord broke again.
Three suggestions:

1. Buy an electric lawnmower.
2. Buy a manual lawnmower.
3. Buy or rent a goat.

Goats and sheep, as I understand it, graze the grass off so completely that they kill it. I've heard that a cow is better suited to the task. However, I would want an official ruling from Farm Boy before acting on this one either way.

I thought sheep were fine, but that goats are highly destructive.

Cattle can really make a mess of a wet pasture with their little feet, though.

I guess much depends on the number of animals you try to keep on a parcel of land. And how intensive the grazing practice is.

I know of a fortification in Aragon in which moat they keep some deer, if I remember correctly, for grazing. Or horses. Something like that.

They also have that in the Castle in Schaffhausen, Switzerland.
It was always fun to visit and see all the deer going about their business
Edit: Kind of starting to doubt my abilities to get anything right anymore :(

Goats and sheep, as I understand it, graze the grass off so completely that they kill it. I've heard that a cow is better suited to the task. However, I would want an official ruling from Farm Boy before acting on this one either way.

I suppose I could bother to look it up, but I don't remember the sheep we had when I was growing up actually killing the grass unless they were super over grazing. If you let them spread out they just seemed to clip it short, so I doubt they eat it so short it dies unless they're out of other things to eat.

Either way. Sheep suck. They're dumb enough to get stuck in a corner or a fence overnight since they don't often try backing up when stuck. Little hoof-troughs where they've been trying to walk forward all night. They don't even have decent meat unless you harvest them at lamb stage, the rams are big enough to believe they should take you every time they have the chance, and wool is worth absolute piss unless you have a local market of yuppies that want overpriced natural yarns. And lots of it.

Goats aren't much better. Pigs taste better but now they're bad because they're too smart. And you'll go broke if it isn't a hobby or a confinement operation. Cows actually are better save for the fact that they're now big enough to kill you if you aren't careful and unless you're a huge operation or a hobby you are going to go broke again.

I'm not a big livestock man. But I would probably be happy to contract out an animal or two. But then you'd need to be rolling in freezer space, extra cash, and close to here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom