Random Raves 00110000: "Sunshine, sunshine is fine..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rave: Chocolate! And video games!

Anyway, some friend took a pic of myself and the czech representative.
I hadn't realized she was that tall ^_^

She doesn't look that tall; maybe even only average height. Was the photo taken with a postage stamp or something?

I meant average for males, but even so, 5' 11" isn't noticeably tall, unless when standing beside someone who's shorter than average.

Conor McGregor. I mean, Jeepers.

I signed a petition to force the city council to stop interfering with the construction of a veteran's cemetery. I also signed two other petitions to recall the mayor and one of her supporters who are the ones primarily responsible for interfering with the veterans cemetery. We've voted to approve the cemetery multiple times and both the feds and the state have put up money to build it. The problem is that developers want the land that was set aside for the cemetery and they've managed to get the mayor and a few other council members to continually interfere with the project and attempt to sell off the land. I don't think either member will be recalled (they just won re-election) but hopefully at least the cemetery petition passes and forces them to stop.

Waste of space, environmentally wasteful, and it involves the fetishizing of corpses. And the linearity of time dictates that you either have to keep expanding them or you start double-loading graves, or even outright replacing old ones. People buy uber-expensive boxes, some built to withstand the test of time, and they stuff their loved ones like they're taxidermy, all in the name of a supposed eternal resting ground, completely unawares that their stuffed loved one will be replaced within the century by a new stuffed loved one. It's an outright industry disguised as a loving memorial.

Waste of space, environmentally wasteful, and it involves the fetishizing of corpses. And the linearity of time dictates that you either have to keep expanding them or you start double-loading graves, or even outright replacing old ones. People buy uber-expensive boxes, some built to withstand the test of time, and they stuff their loved ones like they're taxidermy, all in the name of a supposed eternal resting ground, completely unawares that their stuffed loved one will be replaced within the century by a new stuffed loved one. It's an outright industry disguised as a loving memorial.
I agree with all of the above but regardless of my feelings, they provide a lot of comfort to a lot of people. Lots of rituals are built around them and I think it is important to allow people to continue with their rituals and traditions if they aren't hurting anyone. I think the 'running out of space' aspect is overblown for the majority of communities and I believe there is a pretty steady conversion of cemetery -> not cemetery across relatively short amounts of time.

I agree with all of the above but regardless of my feelings, they provide a lot of comfort to a lot of people. Lots of rituals are built around them and I think it is important to allow people to continue with their rituals and traditions if they aren't hurting anyone. I think the 'running out of space' aspect is overblown for the majority of communities and I believe there is a pretty steady conversion of cemetery -> not cemetery across relatively short amounts of time.

Perhaps in small towns it's overblown, especially since space isn't at a premium.

I live next to a cemetery. Spaces are doubled here, and also include up to eight urns. If you want a casket in the ground, it'll cost you a minimum of $25,000 for just the space, not including service, corpse treatment, or the casket itself.

They replace bodies every 40 years, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom