Random Raves 110010: Vast Hordes of Toilet Paper

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Tim, where's your leadership?

In the current times of pandemic and crisis, as many of us face varying levels of confinement to our homes as well as uncertainty about our own health and the risks to our families it's a good time to look back at people showing up for each other in bad times past. After the marathon bombings many people became aware that the Red Sox use Sweet Caroline as an adopted theme song and it became associated with "Boston Strong." Neil Diamond posted this "remake."

Can't touch me...I can't touch you...

It has helped me recognize how lucky I am. So many people are struggling with the fact that their social life is centered around a job they aren't going to and may no longer have, or a school that is closed, or a bar where they are a 'regular,' or the other parents from their kid's soccer team, or any number of other structures we have always considered to be immutable features of our lives. In this moment they are 'stuck' at home, removed from their friends when they need friendship the most.

Some of you I've met in real life. Many of you I would like to meet but probably never will. But you are my friends, and right now I'm damn glad to have you.

CFC Strong.

Any friends?

Nice post @Timsup2nothin Thanks! Meeting CFC people is fun and enhances posting here.

I get around this issue by not having a social life or any friends.
I know that CFC doesn't have any official ‘friends’ anymore, but you have me on Steam!

CFC needs to bring back friends.

CFC needs to bring back friends.

It might be more useful to think of us all as friends. Even though I disagree strongly with his politics, and actively discourage him from polluting the political threads with repetitious posts designed to 'contrarily' irritate us, I'd rather be a friend to @Berzerker if he needed one than fight him about that.

Not everyone in that stadium was a Red Sox fan...or had to be in complete agreement on everything.

CFC Strong

In the current times of pandemic and crisis, as many of us face varying levels of confinement to our homes as well as uncertainty about our own health and the risks to our families it's a good time to look back at people showing up for each other in bad times past. After the marathon bombings many people became aware that the Red Sox use Sweet Caroline as an adopted theme song and it became associated with "Boston Strong." Neil Diamond posted this "remake."

Can't touch me...I can't touch you...

It has helped me recognize how lucky I am. So many people are struggling with the fact that their social life is centered around a job they aren't going to and may no longer have, or a school that is closed, or a bar where they are a 'regular,' or the other parents from their kid's soccer team, or any number of other structures we have always considered to be immutable features of our lives. In this moment they are 'stuck' at home, removed from their friends when they need friendship the most.

Some of you I've met in real life. Many of you I would like to meet but probably never will. But you are my friends, and right now I'm damn glad to have you.

CFC Strong.
Thank you for posting this.

"Sweet Caroline" is in one of the first music books I was given, back when I played electric organ (forerunner to the spinet and full console organs I played later). I was about 7 or 8 at the time.

yeah i have someone on discord and it was odd.

I have exchanged messages here on CFC with several members over my posting duties, but maybe distance is what kept me from making true friiends.

CFC Strong!

"posting duties" makes it sound like a job.

It used to be. Better post something than be depressed and in 100% isolation. it is easier to post than to pick up a phone or leave home. it used to be that way back in early 2010s i think. Irc.

Any friends?

Think again.

I appreciate the sentiment but nobody here really knows anything about me as an individual beyond the rant-y stories I share. You can glean details like "useless cripple" and "non-confrontational IRL" and such, but nothing really about my innermost thoughts, feelings, anxieties, ambitions.

That's not a hit against anyone here. It's intentional. I avoid serious one-on-one conversations and I go out of my way to ensure that what I share is contained to whining about current events. I struggle to be called friend when I know that it doesn't really extend far beyond "would not mind spending some time with Syn once or twice a year, maybe." When it comes down to it, even the people here who like me most very likely wouldn't want to spend more than an hour or two with me in a room. I would be an excellent candidate for "acquaintance that occasionally pops on by, cracks a good joke sometimes." But not really one for "I call this person friend."

But I also realize my definition of friend may be different than most. Tim's explanation above of being a friend to Berzerker, and the comparison to sports fans, is what I would just define as being a decent human being, something extended to complete strangers, and I wouldn't call a stranger a friend. Someone who is willing to spend some time with me is an acquaintance. Friendship requires being known. I enjoy being relied upon and I place pride on the idea that someone may seek me out for support, but that isn't synonymous with friendship. Anyone here, even the people who despise me, can come to me for help if they need it. But they aren't my friends.

@Synsensa We may not be your friend, friend, but that does not mean you cannot be our friend. :p

@Synsensa We may not be your friend, friend, but that does not mean you cannot be our friend. :p

I disagree. It is easy to refuse to be a friend. I don't believe that Syns actually would, but it can be done. Having a friend is something that can't be turned down. You might treat them badly, and be no friend to them in return, but if someone is committed to being your friend there's not that much you can do about it, other than disappearing. I'm Syns friend because if he ever does decide to share himself with someone I will be available to listen to him, God willing and the creek don't rise, and he can't really change that. You find out who your friends are when you show up on their doorstep, not when they show up on yours.

I disagree. It is easy to refuse to be a friend. I don't believe that Syns actually would, but it can be done. Having a friend is something that can't be turned down. You might treat them badly, and be no friend to them in return, but if someone is committed to being your friend there's not that much you can do about it, other than disappearing. I'm Syns friend because if he ever does decide to share himself with someone I will be available to listen to him, God willing and the creek don't rise, and he can't really change that. You find out who your friends are when you show up on their doorstep, not when they show up on yours.
I think you took my post wrong or I said it badly.

I consider Syn a friend whether or not he considers me a friend. My hand is out.

I think you took my post wrong or I said it badly.

I consider Syn a friend whether or not he considers me a friend. My hand is out.

It's just perspective. The old joke; "a friend is someone who will help you move, a good friend will help you move a body" is illustrative. I can know myself as Syns friend, or yours. I am someone who would 'help you move' within my somewhat limited ability.

Conversely, I can think of you as my friends. But the only way for me to know is to ask you to 'help me move.' My needs are few and my requests are fewer, but neither you nor Syns has ever let me down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom