Random thoughts 1: Just Sayin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because English is a pidgin language that got out of hand.
Thankfully, I have one of two possible solutions to all problems (the other one is to play computer games until you lose track of space and time, but that one's a catchall, a RL bezoar).

Thankfully, I have one of two possible solutions to all problems (the other one is to play computer games until you lose track of space and time, but that one's a catchall, a RL bezoar).

Oh, so now there are English people who want to make themselves unintelligible to the rest of the world ? Was Brexit only the first step in a greater project to become Europe's North Korea ?

Any alternative route planner sites around to use? Google doesn't allow enough stops. Bing won't print. Mapquest doesn't function properly. I need another alternative.

Oh, so now there are English people who want to make themselves unintelligible to the rest of the world ? Was Brexit only the first step in a greater project to become Europe's North Korea ?
Everyone should learn lolspeak (which is not the same as l33t).

Someday I'd like to go up to the order counter at McDonalds and say, "I can has cheezburger?". :p

Any alternative route planner sites around to use? Google doesn't allow enough stops. Bing won't print. Mapquest doesn't function properly. I need another alternative.
Atlases and the kind of maps you'd get at a gas station still exist, don't they?

Where are you going?

Everyone should learn lolspeak (which is not the same as l33t).

Someday I'd like to go up to the order counter at McDonalds and say, "I can has cheezburger?". :p

I'll try that tomorrow and let you know how it goes...but I don't expect any problems.

Atlases and the kind of maps you'd get at a gas station still exist, don't they?

Where are you going?

I've got atlas and paper maps. But what those don't do is add up a cumulative driving route and give approximate times to get there. To the extent that the online ones work, they're better for this sort of things. I just can't make them work at the moment.

The trip plan is that a friend of mine has this idea of seeing every US state before he dies. And he's been to many of them. But not in the northwest US. So he wants to fly out west and road trip North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho. Not the whole of them, just selected places. But since we don't have 2 months to do it all, it's proving difficult to fit much in. So we're playing around with routes to get the highlights. Which only works if I can make the program work. :hammer2:

Actually, you should be glad that somebody wants to re-Germanicise English. Y'know, in order to fight Brussels and Merkel…

I've got atlas and paper maps. But what those don't do is add up a cumulative driving route and give approximate times to get there. To the extent that the online ones work, they're better for this sort of things. I just can't make them work at the moment.

The trip plan is that a friend of mine has this idea of seeing every US state before he dies. And he's been to many of them. But not in the northwest US. So he wants to fly out west and road trip North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho. Not the whole of them, just selected places. But since we don't have 2 months to do it all, it's proving difficult to fit much in. So we're playing around with routes to get the highlights. Which only works if I can make the program work. :hammer2:
Do these states have government tourism sites? Those usually have information about major destinations and approximate distances and travel times.

Do these states have government tourism sites? Those usually have information about major destinations and approximate distances and travel times.

Sure. But when the mapping software will actually work, it works better than adding up each one manually. I'm trying to do them all in one map. Which google does, but not with enough destinations. And mapquest does, except it doesn't work.

Anglish is really more of an academic project; it's basically a conlang, after all. It's only a few internet weirdos who think that it's an actual proposal for linguistic reform.

Shhh, you should've let him stew in it for a few hours before breaking it to him.

Cutlass: is it absolutely necessary that you digitalise the itinerary?

Does anyone know if there were any shows before Seinfeld that were about a comedian and the episodes contain standup bits from the comedian? I'm trying to figure out if Seinfeld was the originator of that

The Cosby Show, maybe?

Does anyone know if there were any shows before Seinfeld that were about a comedian and the episodes contain standup bits from the comedian? I'm trying to figure out if Seinfeld was the originator of that

Mork and Mindy, maybe. Depends on what you mean by "standup bits from the comedian."

The All New Alexei Sayle Show.
Maybe.
It had Alexei playing a warm-up/stand-in when the show was interrupted for "technical reasons".

Last edited:
Mork and Mindy, maybe. Depends on what you mean by "standup bits from the comedian."
I'm thinking of how Seinfeld and Louis show the characters performing stand-up in front of an audience. They frame the episode by appearing at the beginning and end and relate to the episode's themes. So clearly Louis CK didn't come up with it and I'm wondering if this was a creation of Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld or if they got if from somewhere else as well. Or perhaps some precedent in the 70s or 80s did something similar but not exactly that and they modified it

I'm thinking of how Seinfeld and Louis show the characters performing stand-up in front of an audience. They frame the episode by appearing at the beginning and end and relate to the episode's themes. So clearly Louis CK didn't come up with it and I'm wondering if this was a creation of Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld or if they got if from somewhere else as well. Or perhaps some precedent in the 70s or 80s did something similar but not exactly that and they modified it

It's Garry Shandling's Show started and ended with him standing there telling jokes to the studio audience:

Spoiler :

It's close to what you're describing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom