Random Thoughts Five: Ya rolls the dice, ya takes yer chances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a bad title.

Damn, I rolled a six.

I knew that Greek art was known for nude statuary, but is it really necessary to run around robing regular people? Are there that many nudists on the streets?
Fun fact: the noun ‘robe’ and the verb ‘to rob‘ have the same origin. ‘Robe’ was the spoils robbed off someone, over a thousand years ago in the Frankish tongue.

Fun fact: the noun ‘robe’ and the verb ‘to rob‘ have the same origin. ‘Robe’ was the spoils robbed off someone, over a thousand years ago in the Frankish tongue.

I love random thoughts that originate from random times in random languages.

Republican Charity; If a person cannot afford new clothes, Robe them.

In my currently brain-addled state* I will** have to point out that it is strange to see the GOP making an entry into every thread earlier and earlier. So there should be a shorthand reference for it because I am a lazy typer:
Step 1: G(od)wyneth Paltrow
Step 2: GO(O)P
????
Step 3: Prosit!

*even more so than usual
** I just mistyped that as ‘woll’ which shows that I might be doing too much of this learning German thing

I'm starting to feel anxiety that I'm not really going to get my promotion I was offered, but instead it'll be given to one of my (under qualified) teammates.

Stand up and ask for clarification. A good boss will be honest about it.

My boss fully supports me, but she won't get to make the final decision. I just suddenly have this feeling while I'm being transitioned, that ultimately someone else will get hired and I'm only being used as a temporary solution so everything doesn't fall apart. I completely believe right now my boss would love to have me move to that role permanently.

My boss fully supports me, but she won't get to make the final decision.

Having been a Boss for many decades, whenever I said that I won't be able to make the final decision, I was blowing smoke up someone's butt.

Squeeze her, so at least if he's going to screw you, you make it really uncomfortable for her. And you never know, she might give you chops for doing it.

My boss fully supports me, but she won't get to make the final decision. I just suddenly have this feeling while I'm being transitioned, that ultimately someone else will get hired and I'm only being used as a temporary solution so everything doesn't fall apart. I completely believe right now my boss would love to have me move to that role permanently.
Ask her when you can expect the offer letter. If she balks, ask her who will be sending it?

And if you think the decision is being made at a higher level, request a meeting with that person and ask "who better for the role than the person who is holding it all together right now? you've already deemed me the right person for the job!"

I'm starting to feel anxiety that I'm not really going to get my promotion I was offered, but instead it'll be given to one of my (under qualified) teammates.
Important question: are these teammates underqualified or less qualified? It's not exactly the same.

Thanks for your suggestions ... I don't really think it's "me" to be so pushy, and I'd probably get a very negative reaction if I tried. I completely trust my boss, I know she's been fighting for me for years now, I have faith in her that she'll do everything she can. It's her boss who will make a final decision, and he's only been around for about a month and I don't know him very well. I do feel I'd be much more confident if it was her old boss who left in May, I know he liked me, and he's the one who was able to get me my Vice President title back in February, I'm sure he would've just given me that position. I love my boss and I would never want to make her uncomfortable in any way, she's been very good to me.

Important question: are these teammates underqualified or less qualified? It's not exactly the same.
Oh what I mean is I have an idea of two guys who could possibly be given this job instead of me, and I know for both of them I'd be pretty much doing their job, they'd be coming to me constantly to do everything for them (I kind of already do for their current roles). Even right now I already do like half of the work for the person who left, which is why my boss knows really it's me who should be doing that.

Ok, so they are under-qualified for the job on top of being less qualified than you. I don't know about the office-nomics at your workplace, but the suggestions above seem sound.

I love my boss and I would never want to make her uncomfortable in any way, she's been very good to me.
So run your visit to her superior by her before you make it. She's a woman making her way in a man's world, so she's presumably had to negotiate such matters herself.
It's women not wanting to come off as "pushy" that most costs them in situations like this. It's not pushy. The guy's making a decision; you're giving him the information that will help him make the right decision.

People who compare Toronto's homeless in shelters to the asylum seekers in hotels need to remember that the first is a municipal issue, while the latter is a federal one. Different levels of funding involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom