Realism Invictus

Awesome work on the latest update, guys. My workers don't get stuck in a loop anymore!

Anyway, I think upping unit costs is a great idea, I also think it should also depend on the empire size/population. It makes sense that larger and more populous nations will have an easier time getting recruits than one a quarter of its size. Is this technically possible?

then its a bit weird... whats the point of a plantation, that comes later in the tech tree,
when you get a fort, that can supply you with that resource?

kmod had a bug to it where workers built forts of resources, but a fixed was written in the kmod thread,
perhaps this is why realism invictus authors created this situation?

i find this to be an bad solution with using forts in ri 3.3.

I enjoy this mod.
Thank many people who made this mod.

I want to use Oda Nobunaga at Huge Earth Map Scenario.
I use World Builder and put his settler on the Map, but I can't select him.

In this Scenario, I can't choose some leader like Attila.
How can I select these leaders ?

You can't select certain civs, as they are special scenario-only civs that are not designed to be playable by humans. You can use Oda Nobunaga if you manually edit the scenario file to write him in; unfortunately, there is no in-game capacity to select leaders for civs in scenarios.

The icon for Shinto Shrine seems to be a lower resolution than other buildings. It looks blurry on the Civilopedia page for the building itself and has smaller dimensions on the Civilopedia for Japan.

Thanks! Thought I caught all of those, but a couple slipped by me. Fixed.

im playing my first game ever in realism,

and im wondering - are there no corporations?

besides that, im having fun,
although i think the techs quantity at fist stages of the game are quite a lot, but its fun never the less.

There are no corporations. We didn't incorporate them into our mod when BtS first came out, and we have different plans for that mechanic (not sure if we will get to implement it now, but still...).

Awesome work on the latest update, guys. My workers don't get stuck in a loop anymore!

Anyway, I think upping unit costs is a great idea, I also think it should also depend on the empire size/population. It makes sense that larger and more populous nations will have an easier time getting recruits than one a quarter of its size. Is this technically possible?

Probably, but we wouldn't want it anyway. It is basically a mechanic that rewards you for being big, and it will create a positive feedback where the bigger you are, the easier it is for you to get bigger.

lenin has no greeting text on first contact :)

Thanks, will double-check all the recently added leaders.

Is it intentional that Slaves cant build paved roads (3rd road option available)?

No, thanks for pointing out. Fixed. They are now able to build everything except civ-specific improvements.

oh, now i notice that forts, provided me with cotton, while i have not learnt industrial plantations...
edit
ops now i see forts can provide me with sulfur as well...

Forts generally provide you with any resource (and can be used to connect resources over water). It is a normal game mechanic that works as intended. Of course, fort doesn't provide the same tile yield bonuses that plantation does.

Still, in particular case of food plantations (sugar, bananas) and industrial plantations (cotton, hemp), it will be changed so that forts will only provide the resource if you have appropriate tech to build the plantation there (won't do that for regular plantations that come with Calendar though, as Calendar is researched roughly at the same time as Fortification, so that isn't much of an exploit).

The event "Better coal" gives a choice of boosting Coal Plant by 4 hammers, or boosting Drydock by 2 hammers, + extra healthiness.

This used to make sense in Vanilla BTS when Drydocks produced unhealthiness; this event simply removed their pollution. But with pollution neutral drydocks it now turns them into some weird sort of seaside park.

Quickly fixed by removing a few lines under the EVENT_BETTER_COAL_2. There still a reasonable choice between the two outcomes, since if you have lot of coastal cities and can build a lot of hydroplants, you won't be building many coal plants.

Solution #2.

Change the event to point to Industrial shipyard instead of Drydock and keep it otherwise as is. Industrial shipyards produce pollution, and the whole thing makes much more sense with them anyway.

Also, the prequisites for it might need a bit of fixing. It requires coal as a resource, obviously, but that's available in the middle ages. It then has two "Or_PreReqs" techs listed: Drydock(*) and Electricity. Shouldn't they be under "And_PreReqs" so both are needed? I've gotten this even happen early Renaissance long before any power plants, presumably because I've just discovered tech Drydock.

EDIT: (*) Drydock ie. Naval Engineering

There are no corporations. We didn't incorporate them into our mod when BtS first came out, and we have different plans for that mechanic (not sure if we will get to implement it now, but still...).

well, i sure dont mind playing without corps...somehow i dont miss them :)

----

forts, well, true about no exploit, since it becomes available according to the tech,
bt i dunno...feels weird to get stuff from forts.
:)

@krasny:

To remove slash and burn farms from the game you must go to the file:
Civ4 -> Beyond the Sword -> Mods -> XML -> Units -> Civ4UnitInfos

You can open up with a text editor, for example Notepad.

There you can see what a worker can build or not. There is this text under every civilization's workers:

<Build>
<BuildType>BUILD_SLASH_AND_FIRE</BuildType>
<bBuild>1</bBuild>
</Build>

You must change <bBuild>1</bBuild> to <bBuild>0</bBuild> for every worker unit. As a result, the workers will never be able to build slash and burn farms anymore. I hope this helps.

Thanks CFE!

I have played Earth Evo 3 many times, and using the random civilization option, I always get an African civilisation. Is this intentional, a strange coincidence or a bug?

In Realism we have two separated healthcare mechanics. In addition to health we have epidemics.
Because of that National Park can no longer works in way that was designed in original game - provide one town max health.

I think, NP also must have some good decrease epidemic chance. Just for logical perfection.

( Yes, i want to build ubertown with a lot of pops and cant do it because of rocketering epidemic chance. Otherwise NP stays pretty useless in Realism realities unlike his original game version :) )

( Yes, i want to build ubertown with a lot of pops and cant do it because of rocketering epidemic chance. Otherwise NP stays pretty useless in Realism realities unlike his original game version :) )

I agree in that late game epidemic prevention should be more effective than it is currently. But I'd like to add that Realism DID in fact just until recently have a way to curb epidemics pretty much forever when Vaccination was a team project that reduced epidemic chance by -80. In the recent release health care system was completely overhauled by adding a lot of National Wonders that effect either the health or epidemics chance or both, and frankly I do love the new system.

The National Park still helps a lot, since unhealthiness grants (don't remember exactly -- 3?), epidemic chance for each point.

BTW: Maybe Future Techs should also reduce the epidemic chance by -1 in addition to the health and happiness bonus, assuming this is easily done with existing tags.

Hi!
Last year I hve been playing this MOD a lot.
Unfortunately i forgot how to expand the Civ4BeyondSword.exe to enable the Mod.
Please help, because i finally have the spare time to carry a discontinued saved game (with the Mongols in medieval times) to my glorious victory. :king:

BTW:
I am a fan of Civilization right from the beginning with the first title back
in the days on Commodore Amiga. (Good old times *sigh*)
But i had been stuck on Civ3Conquests + the worldwide mod.
Though I tried Civ4 many times, i never really got into it.
Due to some circumstances i don't remember anymore i realized that there was so much modding going
on with Civ4 and gave it a try.
Realism Invictus was the first Mod got running on my Linux OS and it managed to finally spark the fanatism for Civ4 in me.
Good stuff and thanks to all contributors! :goodjob:

Edit:
Ok, got it running.:)

Using 3.25 we werent able to play any form of multiplayer because of OOS. Now using 3.3 we are 700 turns deep in multiplayer game with girlfriend and we want to thank you for it, you mod is really awesome amazing game and we enjoy it very much!

Hi, RI friends. I'm in a late industrial era game, and I noticed that the unit upgrade costs are extremely high. Is that intentional or should I reinstall the mod? Also, my Norton protection system is giving me a really hard time installing anything from or even accessing the civfanatics web page, which it qualifies as "not safe". Has anyone else experienced something like that? Thank you all in advance.

I have played Earth Evo 3 many times, and using the random civilization option, I always get an African civilisation. Is this intentional, a strange coincidence or a bug?

I think this is a bug with standard BTS.

Minor cosmetic issue, city peasant revolts show up as slave revolts in the event log.

Hi, RI friends. I'm in a late industrial era game, and I noticed that the unit upgrade costs are extremely high. Is that intentional or should I reinstall the mod? Also, my Norton protection system is giving me a really hard time installing anything from or even accessing the civfanatics web page, which it qualifies as "not safe". Has anyone else experienced something like that? Thank you all in advance.

I think that's an effect of the increased build cost for units. As I understand it upgrade cost is based on hammers, so if the hammer cost of a unit goes up so does the upgrade cost.

Top Bottom