Realpolitik CIV - An Interactive AAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
OH SO NOW YOU PEOPLE WANT TO KILL THEM ALL. WHAT DID I TELL YOU???!!!

You wanted to slaughter them all from the beginning. It was not a given (well, unless it was a given) that this situation would turn so violent. I am glad that you want to assist, but I think that it would be better perceived if the government handled this. We have the capacity. Two units of Spearmen are a nuisance, but not a threat.

Assuming you are talking about the one I read a couple hours ago, yes, I got the PM.

Right then.

(Proposed) PLAN OF ACTION

1. Don't Panic--Worst thing to do in any situation. Things are never, never as bad as they seem. Our surrounding cities have plenty of production potential, there's whipping if worst comes to worst, and we can always upgrade our archer.

2. Weed Out the Moderates--Standard counter-insurgency tactic. The copperheads are probably mostly moderates 2. Weed Out the Moderates--Standard counter-insurgency tactic. Most of the Copperheads probably aren't diehards who will fight to the death for their cause. Most of them are probably moderates who can be reasoned with. Which is why we offer amnesty for any Copperheads who will defect and swear loyalty to England. Once the moderates are out, their numbers will be diminished and only the diehards will be left. This in turn, will scare off other moderates. Once only diehards are left, then we can wholesale slaughter them.;)

3. Use Superior Force--C'mon, it's two SPEARMEN. They're like, so 90 turns ago. From what LH has said, that's about all the Copperheads in the area. So we won't be expecting anymore to rise up (Right?:mischief:). We on the other hand, have maces, longbows, catapults and knights at our command.So we upgrade the archer, mobilize the units, and completely crush these buggers.

Hail Britannia!

Right then.

(Proposed) PLAN OF ACTION

1. Don't Panic--Worst thing to do in any situation. Things are never, never as bad as they seem. Our surrounding cities have plenty of production potential, there's whipping if worst comes to worst, and we can always upgrade our archer.

2. Weed Out the Moderates--Standard counter-insurgency tactic. The copperheads are probably mostly moderates 2. Weed Out the Moderates--Standard counter-insurgency tactic. Most of the Copperheads probably aren't diehards who will fight to the death for their cause. Most of them are probably moderates who can be reasoned with. Which is why we offer amnesty for any Copperheads who will defect and swear loyalty to England. Once the moderates are out, their numbers will be diminished and only the diehards will be left. This in turn, will scare off other moderates. Once only diehards are left, then we can wholesale slaughter them.;)

3. Use Superior Force--C'mon, it's two SPEARMEN. They're like, so 90 turns ago. From what LH has said, that's about all the Copperheads in the area. So we won't be expecting anymore to rise up (Right?:mischief:). We on the other hand, have maces, longbows, catapults and knights at our command.So we upgrade the archer, mobilize the units, and completely crush these buggers.

Hail Britannia!

I like.

Weed out the moderates!? They have attacked our armed forces.

They have made their bed, now they must lie in it.

Weed out the moderates!? They have attacked our armed forces.

They have made their bed, now they must lie in it.

While there is indeed justification for such a stance, I like to think that I am a bit more practical than that. If offering amnesty to those who lay down their arms will end this sooner, then it is worth it. We have much, much larger fish to fry. Of course, there is the possibility that the moderates have already been weeded out, which would make step 2 very short....

Quite frankly, this movement is very ridiculous, having lasted for centuries. Very annoying.

They are treasonous, and in my opinion, if they havent already left the movement, they are no moderates.

Meh. Mob psychology can be very strong sometimes. Perhaps they've only gone so far because everyone they know is in the movement. I want to put this down with minimal loss of life. If we "kill them all", we risk creating anti-government feeling that may last for generations.

Besides, it takes little courage to riot and beat others up, but standing in battle against trained troops? That takes courage. Most Copperheads probably don't have that extra ounce of courage, and if we can play on that, we might be able to diminish their numbers and make our troop's job easier.

I'm kinda a "kill them all" person, but I have to agree with Aysee. it is only logical to whittle the rebellion down before fighting them. and every moderate who joins us is a Copperhead who can be rehabilitated into society. although I suspect that when we trounce the Copperheads, any later English terrorist group will take their name, ala "Dread pirate Roberts"

The only way Id accept not killing them is to change part II of the Aysee Plan.

Instead of amnesty, they are forced to enlist in the British Army. They would still die, but they would die for their country.

Assuming you are talking about the one I read a couple hours ago, yes, I got the PM.
As it had to do with the plan, I was hoping you would respond

2. Weed Out the Moderates--Standard counter-insurgency tactic. The copperheads are probably mostly moderates 2. Weed Out the Moderates--Standard counter-insurgency tactic. Most of the Copperheads probably aren't diehards who will fight to the death for their cause. Most of them are probably moderates who can be reasoned with. Which is why we offer amnesty for any Copperheads who will defect and swear loyalty to England. Once the moderates are out, their numbers will be diminished and only the diehards will be left. This in turn, will scare off other moderates. Once only diehards are left, then we can wholesale slaughter them.

3. Use Superior Force--C'mon, it's two SPEARMEN. They're like, so 90 turns ago. From what LH has said, that's about all the Copperheads in the area. So we won't be expecting anymore to rise up (Right?). We on the other hand, have maces, longbows, catapults and knights at our command.So we upgrade the archer, mobilize the units, and completely crush these buggers.
The old saying is, "A good general can win a battle with minimal loss of life. A great general can win a battle without a loss of life." (Isaac Broke is therefore one of the greatest generals in history)
And under these circumstances I believe you are a great general. As the report acknowledge that the riot was the fault of the police, they have clear reason to start this. If they give up arms and come back to Britannia we welcome them with open arms, that way it will encourage more to defect back. We might win without loosing any lives if we use this strategy.

No. We cannot allow them back without punishment. That ship has sailed. They have attacked and killed their countrymen, men who had dedicated themselves to Britain, and raised arms against their country. Simply put, letting them just walk away with no consequences is unacceptable.

I think that those calling for blood or conscription are missing the point here. In any engagement, our goal must be clear. What is our goal?

Our goal is to reestablish order. Our goal is not vengeance. Attempting to reduce the enemy's numbers is one tactic to use in order to reach our goal. Piling conditions onto our amnesty offer reduces the likelihood that our offer will be accepted. But as I tried to point out before, the issue may be moot, since it's quite possible that most of those who took up arms are fanatical (I'm sure LH wouldn't let us wriggle out of this so easily). The fanatics are going to be killed. You'll get your blood, surely. However, we gain nothing by killing those who will lay down their arms peacefully.

Read the post immediately above the one about generalship...

EDIT: also on chat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom