1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rhye's and Fall of Asia - Version 1.0

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall Modmods' started by civ-addicted, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Civciv5

Civciv5 Grand Emperor

You are right,how did that happened?

Why is Chengdu named Shu as a barbarian city?
    Shu was a "barbarian state",not a city.
    Why is Sri Jayawardenapura Kotte or Colombo named Polonnaruwa?
    Polonnaruwa is the kingdom that ruled Sri Lanka from 1000s-1310,neither a city.
    Please name cities as cities and not nations or empires.

Some places need improvement on the city names map.
    Mongolia founds Begram in the Takla Makan desert.
    Mongolia founds Sarai in China,Sarai was a city in South Russia.
    Khmer founds Singhala(Sri Lanka) in Malaysia.
    Vietnam founds Ha Tinh in Laos.
    Etcetera

Majapahit units standing in the water,without ship!(again)

I never have Tibet seen so powerfull,most of the time the Mongols destroy them.
    I think Tibetan is the adjective of Tibet,not Tibetian.

Attached Files:

2. 2phunkey4u

2phunkey4u West-Eastern Divan

c-a has explained to give some cities the names of smaller polities they represent. Take Ji in NE China as another example.

On a different note:
    Ghaznavid UHV3 is bugged. It auto-completes on turn 2.

3. Leoreth

Leoreth 古典部の会員 Moderator

Immediately caught my eye in your screenshot as well, and Merriam-Webster agrees with you.

4. civ-addicted

civ-addicted Chieftain

I really have no idea:confused:
    There were many states named Shu having Chengdu as their capital, and i think it adds a nice flavor.
    Polonnaruwa was a city, according to Wiki, and the Kingdom was named after its capital. On the other hand Colombo is an old city and has different names, so it will be better.
    That's what happens if civs start to build cities outside their citynamemap. Mongolia doesn't have one at all; but their starting settlers will be reduced anyway.
    Consider it done.
    :lol:And once again you beat me. You didn't found your capital on turn 1... I'll make it cheat-free.

5. civ-addicted

civ-addicted Chieftain

The patch's patch is up. Apart from the music module, it's exactly the same version that i have right now. So there shouldn't be any files missing; which also means it's much bigger.

The next step is to make Ghaznavids, Jurchen, Delhi and Siam more aggressive (UNIT_AI_LEMMING?) most of all, then i can go and start balancing the post-Tang game. With a little luck, there will be v1.1 next week, some more patches, and if things go out as planned for me, the mod and everything, v1.2 will be there when Spring arrives.

6. veBear

veBear Slumerican Citizen

I can't open th 7z file, even as I use 7z as my unzip program :confused:

7. Civciv5

Civciv5 Grand Emperor

Polonnaruwa was indeed a city,but in the middle of Sri Lanka not on coast.
    It was not founded(or of any importance) before the Kingdom of Polonnaruwa.
    I would rather change the city and preplace Anuradhapura,which was founded in the 5th century BC.

Maybe you can add some wonders?
    Maybe the Great Stupa of Sanchi?
    I have the graphics for it,I can send it to you of you consider it.
    Maybe you can also add some Sri Lankan wonders.
    Examples are:Jetavanaramaya,Ruwanwelisaya,Sigiriya,Gal Vihara
    I have the graphics for Sigiriya,I can send you them if you consider it.
    All these wonders can give some culture and happiness.
    Jetavanaramaya can give 2 free Buddhist missionaries.
    Ruwanwelisaya can give +50% culture.
    Sigiriya,reduces maintenance,+ 2 free artists
    Gal Vihara gives +2 culture per building of state religion and +20 building production in cities with state religion.
    Great Stupa of Sanchi gives +4000 culture in city that is built,no unhappines in city.
    Maybe also the Banaue Rice Terraces,Platyping can give some inspiration.
    I have more ideas...

Maybe you can add some events
    -660 AD-Empress Wu Zetian of China becomes de facto leader of the Tang Dynasty(Only if you Tang is alive and weak or collapsing)
    Spawns "barbarians" who try to conquer China.If they succeed in capturing Chang'an then the next event happens
    -690 AD-Wu Zetian seizes the throne of China and proclaims herself empress regnant of the Zhou Dynasty of China
    Zhou respawns with Wu Zetian as leader and claims the MoH
    -327 BC-Alexander the Great of the Macedonian Empire invades India and Afghanistan!
    Spawns barbarian units,if they succeed in conquering Afghanistan then the Indo-Greek Kingdom is spawned otherwise not(conditional spawn)
    -30 AD The Kushan Empire is established!(only if Tochorians is not alive)
    Forms respawn of Yuezhi as Kushan with Begram as capital
    -If Chola collapses then in 1017 the Kingdom of Polonnaruwa is established with ? as leader

8. civ-addicted

civ-addicted Chieftain

I had some troubles uploading it. I just check for myself and reupload if necessary.

It's gonna be hard finding a plot on Sri Lanka that is not coastal on this map;)
    The 3 tiles on the north of Sri Lanka is reserved for Jaffna, which is also the capital of respawned Chola, so no place there. Chola is the only civ that will ever settle there, and a second city won't be necessary nor wise, so Jaffna will control all of Sri Lanka (no nitpicking there...)
    I'm fine with early and mid-game wonders. If a civ in human hands needs a buff in some direction, i consider adding a wonder for them (which they build in history, of course). For the late game, a wonder for Delhi or Majapahit could be added, if it could help achieving one of their UHVs (i maybe redo Delhi UHV wise, also add some art from SoI).
    Thanks nevertheless.

EDIT: Download works properly. Please work oh lord please please work

9. Civciv5

Civciv5 Grand Emperor

I have Chola never seen respawn.
    If they respawn are they still named as "Chola"?
    Maybe you can change the name to "Kingdom of Polonnaruwa/Sri lanka" if they respawn,Lilavati was never queen of the Chola.
    Altough her husband conquered parts of the Chola Empire and Burma.
    Sri Lanka seems totally eradicated from this mod!

This is a list of all wonders that are in the game,by country(shrines not included):
    China:7:Great Wall,Grand Canal,Forbidden City,Temple of Heaven,Famen Si,Porcelain Tower,Xian Mosque
    India:4:Qutb Minar,Gol Gumbaz,Nalanda University
    Afghanistan:1:Bamyan Buddha Statues
    Pakistan:2:Great Bath,Great Granary
    Iran:1:Arg-e-Bam???Iran isn't even on the map!
    Tibet:2:Jokhang,Potala Palace
    Nepal:0
    Bhutan:0
    Kyrgyztan:0
    Uzbekistan:0
    Turkmenistan:0
    Kazakhstan:0
    Tajikistan:0
    Sri Lanka:0
    Bangladesh:0
    Burma:1:Shwedagon Paya
    Thailand:0
    Laos:1:pha That Luang
    Cambodia:1:Angkor Wat
    Vietnam:0
    Indonesia:2:Borobudur,Prambanan
    Malaysia:0
    Brunei:0
    Philippines:0
    Japan:3:Izumo Shrine,Itsukushima Shrine,Himeji Castle
    Korea:2:Changdeokgung,Cheomseongdae
    Unspecified:1:Great Harbor
    I'm sure I forgot some wonders,please correct me
    Many countries have no wonders and are all in Asia,this mod seems also very Sinocentric in wonders

10. civ-addicted

civ-addicted Chieftain

Rarely, but it happens.
    Currently, the names of respawned civs doesn't change (so Jaffna will be still be known as Chola); it's a little complicated since the respawn is in python, but the DCNs are in the DLL. I have an idea how to fix that, but i can't change the DLL right now because my own computer hasn't arrived yet. If it comes within a week it will be part of the next version.
    On this scale of the map Sri Lanka barely has place for one single city, and an own civ with 4 land plots to micromanage for hours is like the opposite of fun in my opinion.
    First of all, i wanted to use Saibotlieh's LH, then i read that Jaffna had a queen (even the Catalan Atlas shows one) but couldn't find her name... finally, when i was fed up researching i just took a queen's name from Sri Lanka within this period. For now, it's really just a placeholder. But not completly unreasonable still.
    Bam is right at the edge of the map; close enough
    It's meant to be the Harbor of Lothal
    Some civs aren't meant to have wonders at all, and i have no intention to include a wonder that's hardly known and doesn't benefit the gameplay in this late stage of the mod for the sake of equality among modern countries. As said, i don't oppose adding wonders as long as it serves gameplay. Replaceing wonders (like the Imperial Stable or Imperial Library, which has been here forever but i never realized what they are actually about) would be an option, if better art is availible.
    And the mod itself is sinocentric:mischief:. China covers the biggest part of the map and deserves a lot of wonders.

11. veBear

veBear Slumerican Citizen

Actually, Arg-e Bam would be located on the very Western border of the map, not far from the Indo-Greek start.

Anyway, some wonder ideas if we need new ones:
    - Shah-i-Zinda (Uzbekistan) (May be a bit late)
    - Kalyan Minaret (Uzbekistan) (May be a bit late)
    - Mausoleum of Khoja Ahmed Yasawi (Kasakhstan) (The original was built in the 12th Century)
    - My Son (Vietnam) (This one I'm actually quite for adding, as it would be a bit fun :lol: )
    - Preah Vihear (Cambodia)

12. Civciv5

Civciv5 Grand Emperor

No it's not,then the Aral Sea should be on the map.

Stupid vBulletin message,what's that supposed to be!
    If you can propose wonders,then I can too.
    Each country(that plays a role in history of the map) should have at least one.
    Nepal:Basantapur Palace
    Bhutan:/,first signs of kingdoms of Bhutan start in 1500 AD
    Sri Lanka:Jetavanamaraya
    Vietnam:My Son temples
    Thailand:Ayutthaya Temples
    Malaysia:/,no great wonders
    Philippines:Banaue Rice Terraces
    Uzbekistan:Shah-i-Zinda
    Bangladesh:Somapura Mahavihara

You live in Kanton Rammachgau?
    Can't find anything about that place on the whole internet!
    Do you mean Guangzhou?

13. civ-addicted

civ-addicted Chieftain

Done :p
    But seriously. If Bam is off the map, than by 50 km max in RL. If you like this one better: The Parthians buildt Arg e Bam, and because we can't have them as a civ, that would be a fair representation of them.
    Rammachgau it is, making it sound like it's in Switzerland, which is a personal thing that doesn't really belong here.

14. Leoreth

Leoreth 古典部の会員 Moderator

Since East Asian history itself is fairly sinocentric, this seems only appropriate.

15. 2phunkey4u

I don't consider it cheating - it's been legit in RFC. I'm still thinking of a strategy to nail the Ghaznavid UHVs down. Wanted to try Samarkand as capital for its massive output. Bad idea. The city was in rebellion for 7 turns. I rage-quit later upon getting sandwich-wrecked by Delhi and Barb Keshiks.

I think I have a nice wonder to propose, too:, Ulugh Beg's Observatory of Samarkand. Could be same same as in SoI. Adds obervatories to all cities, art files are already there. Plus it's nice to a science-related wonder in the late game.

All in all, I am less concerned about the geographical distribution of wonders rather about the fact that some of the best of them (and thus most important for gameplay) are Buddhist only. Golden Buddha and Buddhas of Bamiyan are so OP, coming so early. The other ones only add to this. I think I also object to the effect of Potala Palace. I think there was never any Buddhist equivalent of papacy/HRE, so it shouldn't make you become a super-Lama of diplomacy. But I'd take the extra :hammers: and the UUs effects any day, still.

16. civ-addicted

civ-addicted Chieftain

No, i was just kidding. While coding, just didn't consider that there's an easy way around those UHVs, so thanks for pointing it out:)
    I find Bukhara more useful than Samarkand. On a river, and one fewer :yuck: for less food plains easily compensate the fact that it doesn't have a full BFC.

17. Civciv5

Civciv5 Grand Emperor

18. 2phunkey4u

That's kinda unnecessary.

On a different note: I finally succeeded with the Ghaznavids! I did not pursue getting the techs required for their UB this time (put everything into culture right away) and used a somewhat unconventional placement.
    Spoiler :
    Ghazni 1SW (gets lemons, leaves 2nd wheat for Samarkand), took both Bukhara and Samarkand, then settled Multan (wanted Lahore, but that was razed), later squeezed in a settler to re-found Mansura with the rice in its BFC

19. civ-addicted

civ-addicted Chieftain

Just because i didn't respond doesn't mean i didn't care/read/notice. There is no point in answering "I got it" or "I'll look into it" to every single post unless i have found a solution.
    Units on water are a problem which i thought is fixed in v1.0.2. If it still happens, i just have to look at the code again.
    'Finally'? How many times did you try?
    Just some more questions:
    - How hard was it? At which date did you complete each UHV (approximately)? I usually do it 10 to 20 years before the deadline, if you did better i might raise the threshold.
    - What did Delhi do on start? Did they attack you or the rest of India?
    - Was it fun? I'm just asking because there is some hate against their UHVs.
    - How much did you tech?
    This might help me to decide in what way i have to balance:)

20. 2phunkey4u

I tried three times on a much earlier version and three times this weekend. Note that I was still playing on the lowest difficulty. I think I'll move on to a higher difficulty when there's a release candidate.
    Did the first goal some 20 years early. Cut the 2nd one pretty close (1226), but I skipped one great work in favor of bulbing music tech which turned out to be not an effective trade-off. Delayed the 3rd one by founding an extra city. But the 3rd one is not important. If you get the 2nd down, you win.
    Actually, I saved my horse archer to kill them when they moved their stack out of Delhi bc they would have steamrolled me with their starting units. They respawned on their next turn (flips) and vassalized soon after I made peace with them.
    And I'm still part of this hating.;) Seriously, it was rewarding to finally succeed after trying different approaches to this scenario. But gameplay-wise, nothing much was happening except assigning artists and setting production to culture or culture-generating or health-generating buildings. Gokturks might be a threat on a higher difficulty and I may try letting the Ghorids live and fighting them. The 3rd UHV might not be as trivial, then. I guess the 1st one is redundant bc it's just a step on the way to the 2nd. How about replacing it with 'Sack 10(?) cities with Hinduism in it' or 'Destroy the Hindu Holy City'? This way the player would have to worry about making units at some point.;)

On the other hand, one could argue, that there is even less going on for Korea and all the island-based civs... But I still did enjoy playing them. Probably all this culture-mongering to the extreme is just counterintuitive to the casual player.
    Not much. I was running science at 10%/culture at 50+% most of the time. This helped with bulbing music and I also got the other tech for the UB eventually. But like I said, the UB comes too late this way to be any help. I was able to trade for canal systems. That was useful, indeed.