[R&F] Rise and Fall General Discussion Thread

It's not possible to overcrowd the Near East. ;)

It is on Civ TSL maps. :)

Sumeria, Persia, Egypt, Arabia are enough.

I'd love to see Assyria, Babylonia, Hittites, and many others from
that region, but I'd also prefer to leave them to modders and not
official releases from Firaxis. Just my personal biases, of course.

I'm disappointed that the 4 commonly accessible units don't include something between Musketmen and WWII-era Infantry. That gap bugs me.
Well, theoretically they could have the pike and shot take the place of the musketman (in the tech tree) with parts of his graphics and "upgrade" the musketmen to be somewhat later and more like line infantry.

Don't forget the Ottomans...
And Civ6's Sumeria is a poor representation of a ancient Mesopotamian Civ, just my humble opinion.

Speculating on the new civs:

I drew up this spreadsheet a while back quantifying the most notable civs absent from Civ 5, based on past appearances. The most notable absences are Mongolia, Babylon, and Zulu, but I'm not 100% sure we'll see all three in R&F. Babylon is a little too close to Sumeria, and there's always a chance they'll opt for a new civ over Zulu, who've been the most frequently featured African civ across the series. Beyond that?

Likely:
Mongolia
Korea
Dutch
Inca (or another Native)
Ottoman Turkey
African civ, possibly Zulu or Mali

Possible:
Carthage
Celts
Babylon
Italy (I don't really buy the Italy tease in the trailer)
Byzantine
Other Latin American (Argentina? Mexico? Colombia?)
Other Native American (Iroquois? Comanche?)
Another African civ. Wouldn't be surprised if they try to represent both west & south Africa

If I had to guess, I'd say we see 5/6 of my Likely picks –– let's say Mongolia, Korea, Dutch, Inca, and a new West African civ, maybe Nigeria or Yoruba. There's a solid chance Turkey gets added, possibly at the expense of one of the above options. Not only are they a very notable absence, but they fit the "well-suited for a bonus related to new expansion systems" line from the announcement.

For the other three civs, I would wager on a modern Latin American civ, such as Argentina or Colombia. A North American native civ or a second African civ to cover South Africa – could see the Zulu return. Finally, I could see one more Mediterranean civ being added, whether that's Italy, Carthage, or the Byzantines. But to be honest I would expect Ottomans to make it in before any of those three.

So my speculative lineup could include Mongolia, Korea, the Dutch, Inca, Nigeria, Turkey, Colombia, and Zulu.

I'm disappointed that the 4 commonly accessible units don't include something between Musketmen and WWII-era Infantry. That gap bugs me.

Sure...but the gap between knights and tanks is even more painfully obvious.

Nonsense ! The woman at 1.00 in the trailer is clearly Queen Tamar of Georgia !

Interesting shaped Georgian roofs... :p

Nonsense ! The woman at 1.00 in the trailer is clearly Queen Tamar of Georgia !
That actually was my first thought before they did a closeup of the Crown of Silla.

I don't play TSL, so that doesn't effect me; I don't use mods, so leaving them out does. :p Personally, I'd leave out Rome before I left out Babylon.

With 8 civilizations, I think we will have 2 of each continent, and assuming that 2 or 3 of these civilizations are unpublished, we will probably have some great names to be added later again. It will be fun to see which civs the developers have chosen.

They may be reserving some great names for post-expansion DLCs.

Personally, I'd leave out Rome before I left out Babylon.

My mouse hand was heading over to the like button...and then my eyes hit this! :eek::eek::eek:

With 8 civilizations, I think we will have 2 of each continent, and assuming that 2 or 3 of these civilizations are unpublished, we will probably have some great names to be added later again. It will be fun to see which civs the developers have chosen.

They may be reserving some great names for post-expansion DLCs.

By Great names, do you mean Civs like Mongolia, Maya, Incas?

Well I'm certainly a minority here, but I don't feel excited about anything of new stuff announced (although emergencies is promising gimmick). I don't mean that added features are bad, they are good and welcomed, and will make game more fun. But for me Golden/Dark Age, City separation (first two are basically dependant), Governor system and enhanced Alliances doesn't seem like content for new expansion. They just expanded/added features that was in previous games (IV and V) but thematically it is not recognizable enough for me, like BNW was.

Hopefully I am really wrong.

Anton Strenger just tweeted that there are no new city-states, but some are getting new bonuses.

That kind of kills Korea then, maybe.

And the Dutch...

Anton Strenger just tweeted that there are no new city-states, but some are getting new bonuses.

That kind of kills Korea then, maybe.
No Korea, Dutch, Portugal, Maya?:confused:
Edit- Maybe they could do what they did with Jakarta being replaced with Bandar Brunei. So maybe the same number of city-states will be there but just get replaced with new bonuses and names. I hope I'm right.

Strange, are any of the City-States getting upgraded into CIvs? I thought they would add new ones to replace those.
So that Korea hint was just a hint? No Korea in this expansion? :cry: Seoul will still be a city-state.

Independent cities could be interesting. Haven't seen that since the AI going rogue in Civ:CTP.

Flipping. Loved doing that in Civ5 with Ideologies. Getting a civ deep in enemy territory for free.
Save gold, rush an Airport and the fun will begin.

That does indeed look like the Santa Monica Pier.

That kind of kills Korea and Netherlands then, maybe.

No not necessarily, he said the Number has not changed, not that the cities have not changed

Top Bottom