• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Rise of Asia

This is a screenshot of the Bamboo Terrain file that SwordofGeddon provided, in game with the standard terrain set, on our map (NE Indian subcontinent).

1) It's clear that the graphic itself needs more work. It needs to be greener, for one thing. It also looks too geometric as is. Inspiration can be located here, andhere .

2) The bamboo graphics ultimately need to take the place of the Jungle Large and Jungle Small portions of the LM Forest pcx.

Edit: Bamboo fits in the grassland forest and plains forest pcx files. My comment 2) is wrong.

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
Anyway, any ideas on how to improve the bamboo with a paint program?
Greener; vary the sizes and heights. Look at the LM Forest PCX file for ideas on the area of the tiles to be covered.

OOPS! LM is for the "normal forest"; the files you need to work with are the grassland forest & plains forest, all of the areas except the "pines" rows.

Check out the links I posted in #362 for ideas about how bamboo forest looks.

:bump: I'm about half through with the conversion of Mountain graphics to LM Hills. The first hill took me several hours work, as I figured out how to do this; now I'm at a point where I can do two slots in about 2.5 - 3 hours of concentrated work. There are 16 slots, and I've got 10 to go. Then comes refining after viewing it in game. I'm using the terrain from Rhye's as my base.

LM terrain is already placed on the map ( I may go back and add in some LM Desert/Plains/Grass with harsher yields but unchanged graphics). I've also made the adjustments (lower Ghats, less Grass/more Plains, etc.) discussed in prior posts. The Mountains are impassable, and other minor rule adjustments have been made.

So, not to be a nag, since everyone's waiting on me, but:

1) SoG: what's up with the Bamboo?
2) Is Timerover still out there with ideas/maps/lists about resources?
3) Shiro, how about working on a resource list (which of course involves decisions about the tech tree and requirements for Units/Improvements).

If I had any of those answers in hand, I could still work on the map when my brain can't handle placing pixels at 1000% enlargement anymore.:coffee:

Bamboo recap: read posts 285, 298 -302, 320-321, 330, 341, 362, 366. Jungle is Jungle. Forests placed at start will mostly be LM Forest, so when cut down, the replanted forest will be Bamboo (which is in the "standard" Forest graphics place). Workers could of course also plant Bamboo where jungle had been removed.

I could see If maybe I could find some aerial bamboo pics on some of the gardening sites I frequent, if that would help you out some....

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
I'm not sure what to do with the bamboo, I found some nice jungle graphics that resemble green bamboo forest, I was wondering if theyed work as the bamboo.
Am I the only one that rereads the relevant portions of the thread if I haven't looked at it in a while? If it's too much trouble to just scan the pages, try searching this thread with the keyword bamboo.
Sword_Of_Geddon said:
Heres some Bamboo forests that I hastely assembled toghether. Not much deversity in form ...
Blue Monkey said:
The bamboo looks like a very good start. I'd suggest you make the stands slightly larger & greener, so they will stand out more on the map. This is definitely along the lines of what we want.
Blue Monkey said:
It's clear that the graphic itself needs more work. It needs to be greener, for one thing. It also looks too geometric as is. Inspiration can be located here, andhere .
Sword_Of_Geddon said:
Anyway, any ideas on how to improve the bamboo with a paint program?
Blue Monkey said:
Greener; vary the sizes and heights.
Blue Monkey said:
I'm using the terrain from Rhye's as my base.
So, to answer your question
1) The Bamboo graphic you've already got is probably an adequate base.
2) Use a paint program and the relevant forest files from Rhye's for a guide as to palette and sizes, etc.
3) Diversify the size of individual bamboo stalks/stands. Lean some to the left, some to the right, some larger and taller, some smaller and shorter.
4) Make it greener.
5) double check it in game to look out for geometric artifacts.
Your own latest leaderhead has bamboo as the background in one era. Have you looked at that for inspiration?

No problem, SoG. I'm crabby today. Take the essence of what I said, without the spice. The Bamboo you threw together is a good start. Just use your favorite paint program to make it greener and vary the size and placement a little.

I’ve finished the conversion of LM Hills to look like mountains. I wanted to post the map as it stands in order to encourage the rest of you to start working again, even though I’ve got some refinements left to make on the map. You need to have the terrain from Rhye’s mod to make the new terrain work. Here’s a thumbnail from the editor showing the LMHills that runs from the mouth of the Ganges north to the area of Lhasa

the RoA Art download is only necessary if you don’t have Rhye’s mod already; if you have it just download the biq and the LMHills.pcx and follow option 2.

View attachment 140323
View attachment 140322
RoA Art (this includes the LMHills.pcx)

Option 1 (if you don’t have Rhye’s mod)
Install the RiseofAsiaV0.95 biq and the RiseofAsiaV0.95 Art folder (it already includes the new LMHills.pcx)

Option 2 (smaller download, if you’ve already got Rhye’s mod)
Install the RiseofAsiaV0.95 biq
create a folder called RiseofAsiaV0.95 and an empty folder called Art inside it
copy the Rhye’s Terrain folder into the RiseofAsiaV0.95/Art folder
copy the LMHills.pcx into the RiseofAsiaV0.95/Art/Terrain folder

Still To Do on Map:
Bamboo Forest
Refine placement of LM Desert/Plains/Grass
Revise Swamps (optional)
Resource placement

:coffee:

That yellow squares appear on all landmark terrain unless you edit the file "landmark_terrain.pcx". (or was it "landmarkterrain.pcx"?). It was probably designed to show clearly which terrain is landmark and which is normal. Though I don't really see any use for it in game (that's why they appear only in the editor).

Edit: :lol:

Top Bottom