• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Rise of Asia

Yes the second one. It would work without problems, but there might be a better solution.

I'm working on the Bamboo terrain (probably about 10-20 hours of actual work from being ready to show), but in the meantime here's a treat to maybe inspire a unit - an early 20th photo of a couple of Balinese wearing traditional armour:
View attachment 141513
I've got other photos and graphics of armour and links, mostly of South Asian (Indian) but some for Indianized SE Asia if anyone is interested.

i'm interested in them. i know i'm not part of this mod development team but still, maybe the units i could make with those props could be used for ye :)

especially if there's a turban prop.

d'oh! i read graphics as props. hehe, but those photo's would be a big help to me too. Siam is very underpopulated unit-wise, as is india, so those photo's would be a big help anyways!

the internet is down at my house, so I will try to spend the time working on models for poser. We have basically 4 cultures, so I will do the attack for a unit like spearman, then just change the clothing for each culture.
I may not post for awhile.

Right now Im at school so I can post.

A lot of what I've gathered is just random bookmarked links. I promise to post some later tonight or tomorrow. I just want it to look more organized than a screen dump of a google search.
Here's a small glimpse of the kind of stuff I've found.

PS to SoG: You're on the right track, but Public vs. Private is key, there's three (3) threads involved, and it involves more than one person.

could you "organise" them into "epochs" of, like:

2500 BC - 0 AD
1 AD - 500 AD
500 AD - 1000 AD
1000 AD - 1500 AD
1500 AD - 1700 AD
1700 AD - 1900 AD
1900 AD - 2006 AD

if thats not too much bother :)

What I've done for my small Asian scenario, is I've made an excel spreadsheet. On this, I've listed each generic version of a unit, and then each unit that replaces it for:
The Persian civs (in my scenario, this is Persia, Mughal, Turkestan)
India (sometimes includes Nepal. Includes all other Indian states, and Sri Lanka)
South-East Asia (Includes Siam, Khmer, Vietnam, Burma and various other civs).
China (Sometimes includes Tibet)
Koria
Japan
Nomadic Civs (Mongols, Huns, Wako, Orang Laut, sometimes Turkestan and Tibet)

There is a lot of overlap with units, but just so I don't have the same unit replacing 2 units, I'm OK.

I can give you the list of which units I have so far (for the scenarios 1st era- the Tech Tree was basically a rough, shamless stick-together of the Sengoku tree, the Mughals tree and the origional Civ3 tree).

ShiroKobbure said:
My internet is fixed ^o^

Should SE's early units be the same as India's? Because most of SE Asia was Hindu Kingdoms.
like Warrior, Tribesman, Archer, and Swordsman

I don't see a problem with that. Its later, when India gets Muslemafied, and move away from the Brahamic culture, that they really deverge.

The Japanese one would, IMO work for the Chinese, too, although I'm not the one to know.

Hasn't SoG already made the Indian Swordsman? I'm sure he has.

Finally, could you use either DPII's "Hun" or R8XFT's "Hun" for the Steppes swordsman?

Sorry to double post, but Blue_Monkey, I've just had imported the rules from my scenario (although I did not put the resources on), and from a gameplay perspective, I like.

I got a random civ (Pegu), which is one of the more... unlucky civs due to starting position in my scenario. In the game, I had a small war with Burma (completely defensive, honest!) and erm... realised that one of the island civs (forget their name) started on terrain where they couldn't build any cities (fault of the mod- I'd accidently imported the terrain settings along, too!).

A quick suggestion that I have, is that I think there needs to be more jungle around India and Bangladesh, and maybe a little more around South-East Asia.

For simplicity's sake, I'd use it for Hanzhao as well. However, Chinese soldiers appear quite different from the "Asian Swordsman" unit.

Sculpture of a Chinese soldier from the Han Dynasty:

Simply imagine this guy holding a sword and you'll get the idea.

I have not posted the images/links as promised because I've spent time the last two days with a friend in the hospital but I'll be working tonight and tomorrow to get something in shape, although it probably won't be posted until late Saturday.

@Shirou: in "Warriors of Heaven and Earth", set in Tang Dynasty, the nomads/bad guys are called Turks and they wear armour a lot like that image you posted although with a turban and face covering.
Virote_Considon said:
I've just had imported the rules from my scenario ... realised that one of the island civs (forget their name) started on terrain where they couldn't build any cities ...- I'd accidently imported the terrain settings along, too! ...A quick suggestion that I have, is that I think there needs to be more jungle around India and Bangladesh, and maybe a little more around South-East Asia.
Thanks for the feedback on the map as it stands; it's the first I've gotten. I was so worried about placing too much jungle that I may have been a little conservative. It's important to play with the terrain rules of our biq, so that the LM Hills behave properly; otherwise the Himalayas are not too impressive a barrier.

Yeh. My biq has some terrain settings, but all they do is:
-LM Hills now produce 0 food, 2 sheilds
-LM Plains now 2 food, 1 sheild (For areas within the Himalayas).
-Desert now +1 movement cost, impassable to "Wheeled"
-Tundra "---------------------------------------------"
-Forests now don't allow cities

Also, you shouldn't worry about placing too many jungles- if there are lots of jungles there in real life, then it's best to place them there to begin with! If this becomes too un-balancing, or even un-fun, then jungles can be converted to forests afterwards. :)

Top Bottom