Ruff05 - Team SG

Got it. I should be able to play tonight.

There seems to be some disagreement on the building of wonders. I can see the logic behind all of them. But, do we want to finish building them or concentrate on cities and troops? Personally, I'd like to see us finish the Pyramids.

I don't see any reason to NOT build them while our civs aren't connected via trade routes and we cannot build axes or swords. However, to actually connect our civs and to found an Iron city, we will need workers and settlers.

My 2c ...
  • Pyramids - build, definitely a good wonder for us to have
  • Stonehenge - good for border pops and required (in this game) to get copper
  • It's a Chicken - so so, build if we have nothing else to do - prefer worker / settler
Once our civs are connected and have either copper or iron, I would build military more than wonders (but keep building the Pyramids).

Hmm. Well, I see the grandness of the plan now. And stonehenge is done in 3 turns, I think. So the next player will not have the opportunity (barring well located iron) to build us any axes or anything either. So my vote is for Saladin building another settler and locating him to the east where there is corn and sheep and Gandhi building another settler, locating to the east on a plains hill with corn/cows/copper, then Gandhi building fast workers for roads galore and everyone else going full tilt military. Or something.

Good ideas - Gandhi with two copper sources can trade both of them (when connected), build everyone workers but will need protection (either gifted units or just stationed units. We should also trade the rocks (when connected) around so that we can throw up walls faster.

We also need to see where the iron is before assigning spots to be settled (then missed through the :smoke: ).

Pyramids is a must in this game. If we get hit with the +42 war weariness without police state, we're toast. Stonehenge only took 7 turns and was needed. Chichen Itza is handy for the defense but if Qin has iron then build swords my man.

Sorry to report that I was unable to play last night. I should be able to get it tonight, though. I did have a look around the save.

Stonehenge is in 3 turns, so I will let it finish. Unfortunately, that amounts to 13 turns before we get a border pop to bring in Gandhi's copper.

I'll chop some forests and mine a hill to speed up the Pyramids. Chichen Itza has 31 turns remaining. I'm thinking we should abandon that one.

I'm concerned about the location of Medina and its lone warrior defense. It is so close to Toku's territory, it is like an engraved invitation to come raze me! Unfortunately, I'm not sure there is a whole lot that can be done about that in 10 turns.

My turn report can probably be summed up with one word: barbarians! You'd prefer at a two word report, would you? Okay: barbarian axemen! We've got barbarians coming at us from almost every direction. The most popular destinations, in order, are Mecca, Beijing, Moscow, and Delhi.

Needless to say, I did not get many roads built. I ended up swapping our research to Sailing to at least get some trading going between the civs.

Iron Working came in. Moscow and Beijing have iron in the fat cross! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Moscow's just got hooked up this last turn. Beijing's is located along the barbarian expressway. :rolleyes: After that, I started us on Mathematics with an eye towards Calendar.

Qin
The Chichen Itza, with 31 turns remaining (15 if he had some stone), was cancelled in favor of a Barracks. The city is now producing Archers to fend off barbarians. With a couple more Archers for protection, our Worker can probably hook up the iron.

Gandhi
Stonehenge came in on schedule. Bombay is 2 turns from a border expansion and there is a nearby Worker ready to hook up the copper.

I just :whipped: an Archer in Delhi. A barb Archer is 2 turns away from the city and an Archer took 3 turns to train. The overflow should be sent to another Archer! The Fast Worker in the queue will complete in 1 turn without the overflow. Delhi needs the defense. Oh, and there is a forest chop going on, just in case.

Gandhi has 1 Fast Worker out in the wilderness building a road to Peter. There is a Chariot enroute for protection.

Saladin
Mecca, once our best production city, has had most of its improvements pillaged. There are 2 barb Axeman at the doorstep. The city will hold, though, as it has 3 Archers.

Damascus was founded to the south. After border expansions, the city will pick up iron, 2 gold, and a cow. I could have placed the city closer to the iron, but I wanted that 2nd gold for the happiness. The border will pop in 9 turns.

Peter
Iron is hooked up in Moscow. The Pyramids are due in 3 turns. After that, build us some Axemen! Probably ought to send a worker down to St. Petersburg to help Gandhi build that road.

Critical Needs
(1) Troops
(2) Trading Network
(3) Troops
(4) Workers
(5) Cities
(6) Troops
(7) Happiness
(8) Troops
(9) Troops

Ready for the good news average news? The next turnset should see every civ with their own source of metal!

Spoiler autolog :
Turn 70 (1200 BC)

Peter-4
St. Petersburg begins: Work Boat

Turn 71 (1160 BC)

Qin-1
Beijing begins: Barracks

Gandhi-2

IBT:
Bombay finishes: Warrior

Fun Time Sally-3
Mecca begins: Archer

Peter-4

Turn 72 (1120 BC)

Qin-1

Gandhi-2
Bombay begins: Granary

IBT:
Tech learned: Iron Working

Fun Time Sally-3
Research begun: Mathematics

IBT:
Mecca finishes: Archer

Peter-4

Turn 73 (1080 BC)

Qin-1

Gandhi-2

IBT:
Delhi finishes: Stonehenge

Fun Time Sally-3
Mecca begins: Settler
Research begun: Sailing

Peter-4

IBT:
While defending, Indian Warrior loses to: Barbarian Warrior (0.56/2) at 90.1 percent. 90% and we still lose! :rolleyes:

Turn 74 (1040 BC)

Qin-1

IBT:
Beijing grows: 5
Beijing finishes: Barracks

Gandhi-2
Delhi begins: Fast Worker

IBT:
Bombay grows: 2

Fun Time Sally-3

Peter-4

IBT:
St. Petersburg grows: 2

Turn 75 (1000 BC)

Qin-1
Beijing begins: Archer

Gandhi-2

Fun Time Sally-3

Peter-4

Turn 76 (975 BC)
Oh lovely! Barbarian Axemen are starting to show up!

Qin-1

IBT:
Beijing finishes: Archer
Shanghai grows: 2

Gandhi-2

Fun Time Sally-3

IBT:
Mecca finishes: Settler
Medina finishes: Archer

Peter-4

IBT:
While defending, Russian Warrior loses to: Barbarian Archer (1.38/3) at 21.9 percent.

Turn 77 (950 BC)

Qin-1

IBT:
Tech learned: Sailing

Gandhi-2

IBT:
Delhi finishes: Fast Worker

Fun Time Sally-3

IBT:
Mecca grows: 5

Peter-4

IBT:
While defending, Russian Archer defeats (0.15/3): Barbarian Archer at 84.3 percent.

Turn 78 (925 BC)

Qin-1

IBT:

Gandhi-2
Delhi begins: Fast Worker

Fun Time Sally-3

IBT:
Medina grows: 3

Peter-4

IBT:
While defending, Arabian Archer defeats (1.05/3): Barbarian Archer at 99.6 percent.
While defending, Indian Chariot defeats (3.48/4): Barbarian Warrior at 99.6 percent.

Turn 79 (900 BC)

Qin-1

Gandhi-2

Fun Time Sally-3

Peter-4

IBT:
St. Petersburg finishes: Work Boat on GoTo orders to Shanghai
While defending, Chinese Archer defeats (1.56/3): Barbarian Archer at 91.0 percent.
While defending, Chinese Archer loses to: Barbarian Archer (2.37/3) at 14.8 percent.

Turn 80 (875 BC)

Qin-1

IBT:

Gandhi-2
Delhi whipped: Archer It would have taken 3 turns to train and a barb Archer is 2 turns away. The city had a lone Warrior for defense.

IBT:
Delhi finishes: Archer

Fun Time Sally-3
Damascus founded
Damascus begins: Archer

IBT:
Medina finishes: Barracks

Peter-4
St. Petersburg begins: Work Boat

Before I leave, here are a couple of snapshots. Most of them are of barbs. :rolleyes:

Oh, and did I mention we could use a few more troops? Preferrably with rather large axes.

Sorry, not much time to report. I am about to be kicked off my computer because my relatives are here. I probably won't have much comp time this weekend.

My report is much the same as Conroe's. Lots of barbs, but we are doing a bit better. Peter's cities were building axes (after we got the pyramids), Gandhis built Chariots, and every other city was building archers. We have got to the point where we can send out some fogbusters. My plan, which I have already begun, is to seal off the area between our cities and then work on the barbarians outside of that.

I also withstood a minor attack on Saladin from Toku, who used a two sword stack. If we don't get rid of the barbs soon, we might be facing the bigger threat of the AI's.

Research was Metal Casting, as the other options just didn't seem to help much. Forges will help us and it is on the way to Machinery.

View attachment 133889

Roster Check:
Ruff_Hi - On Deck
Ozbenno
Conroe
Jeejeep
Hamtastic - UP

thx Conroe - missed that jeep had reported. I have it - will play today.

Things are not going well. Tommy was back with a bigger stack of swords and some axes. Bella was also helping him out. The main problem was the flippen barbs that are running loose. I swapped tech to construction for cats - we need to take out some stacks. Monty also popped a city down near Gandhi.

I ended up abanding this city after losing two archers very easily ...

Please be careful about sleeping units in other people's cities - Peter had a fast worker sleeping in Qin's cities and I didn't notice until right near the end. Ended up just gifting him to Qin.

save

We still don't have a trade network. We need to try to work as a team but I have no good ideas at present. Moscow is putting out 1 axe or sword every 2 rounds - I have a line of them heading West to help Saladin. We need to hit the AIs soon. Good Luck.

ruff_hi said:
Things are not going well.
Things are certainly looking pretty bleak at the moment. We are abandoning cities ... the barbs are still a factor ... the trade network is still not connected. The only good news that I was able to discern was that Moscow is sending reinforcements to Saladin. So how do we dig ourselves out of this hole?

Roster Check:
Ruff_Hi - just played
Ozbenno - up
Conroe - on deck
Jeejeep
Hamtastic

Opps - missed that it was a swap and not a skip - Hamtastic is up. Benno from Oz is on deck.

I bring woeful tidings! :shake: Fun-time Sally's great city of Damascus has been lost forever! A combined force of Japanese and British have taken it and burned it to the ground. Yet our brave forces resisted them and destroyed several of their technologically superior "sword-wielding" troops before they were eventually massacred. Civ4ScreenShot00241.JPG.

Herodotus also brought us poor news: :cry: :cry:

Civ4ScreenShot00221.JPG

Our Russian cadre began to fear for their lives as well as the enemy approached not only from the West but also from the East.

Civ4ScreenShot00261.JPG

Things began to turn around, though, as our brave new forces founded new cities and began to learn the secrets of letters (new settler for Peter and Saladin and library for qin's capital). Our crack soldiers repelled the Spanish invasion with only a lone "spear-man" dying, taking out 5 of the Spanish troops with more to massacre soon. :ar15: :king:

Finally, word spread of a great builder named Imhotep who was born in Moscow. Sensing his future helpfulness, the Russian leader wisely chose to have him wait to perform tasks. (I recommend saving for after we complete construction and metal casting, and he can probably get us machinery for maces, which would help...)

I produced almost nothing but military units, with the settlers I mentioned thrown in. Also switched Qin's city to a lighthouse since he's financial and all the coast tiles will be quite nice for him. Good luck, and keep building military!

View attachment 134532

The state of our empire follows below.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot00271.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot00271.JPG
    7.7 KB · Views: 76
Top Bottom