Saddam Hussein Hanged

Hi-fives everyone! Let's throw a party!

Ding dong, the dictator is dead! which one? The evil one! Ding dong, the dictator is dead!

I think that'd be the feelings of the Iraqi people...

Were we right to use the death penalty?

What about the date? Rushed or just maknig sure saddam didnt live into '07?

Good riddance.
Haha.

Good riddance, yes, when he was caught 3 years ago. That's the very important date, maybe the only achievement from the US government in years. Why ? Because that's when they made sure Saddam was never getting back to power, and the reason they wanted him was to remove him from power. Today they just killed him, which has little to do with Iraq not being led by a dictator.

Just put that in comparison with Milosevic... It was not important for him to die, what was important is that he was removed from power AND denied the possibility to come back (ie. captured).

Anyway, anyone supporting the death penalty has no better solution than the criminal himself.

Stupid!

If they had had half a brain left in all of Iraq, they would first have finished all court proceedings in all trials. This will help noone.

The death penalty is a form of revenge, not a form of justice.

Justice is when a person has to live with the consequences of their wrongdoing for the rest of their natural life. Death is like relieving people from that consequence.

And never, ever, would I wish someone to hell. Yes, Saddam Hussein obviously guilty of many crimes against humanity. But nothing one man could do on Earth would equal eternal punishment in hell. It is not something I would ever willingly do to someone.

Why is Mandela on this list? Actually, which Mandela do you mean, Nelson or Winnie?

Nelson Mandela is respected in many places around the world, and I can't think why he should be included in such a list. His ex-wife, Winnie, however, is another story -- although I confess I'm not up on the details.

Hey you didn't expect them to show any more brains this time than they did up until now did you?

Having just watched the clip of him refusing the hood as they put the noose around his neck (he apparently said he wanted to look his executioners in the eye) I've got to say that while he really was an evil ******* he certainly had guts at the end there which is exactly the reason they shouldn't have hanged him, now he's a symbol and it's not like you can hang that :sad:
Yes, Saddam was evil. But there's nothing wrong with even an evil man facing his execution with a bit of dignity. And he'd be a martyr for some group of people, no matter what happened to him. At least this way, he's not around as a rallying symbol to put back into power some day (ie. by being granted clemency or some such absurdity).

Speaking of absurdity, I heard on the CBC news that Bush has declared this execution a "milestone for democracy" (paraphrase). Strange; I don't recall hearing about a national referendum being held in Iraq over whether Saddam should be executed. :rolleyes:

To me this is a time of morning...

I see Saddam's death as a pointless act by the Bush Administration to boost morale in the iraq war, make it look like they hit a major milestone.

Had he rotted in a jail cell it would have been the same.

This was a pointless killing of a man, not innocent but death none the less. Now, that he is lost, he can longer face the full extent of what his punishment should be.

He should have stood the rest of his trials. Now officials in his administration who were guilty of as much evil will probably go free for lack of evidence.

And neither was/will be the problem of Saddam Hussein invading Poland. Your point?

My point was that prior to his execution it was argued that setting a date would incourage his supporters to launch attacks to cancel the verdict and / or set him free, and that reason is now gone.

I don't see how that eluded you in my original post, unless you deliberately chose to do so. :confused:

Saddam was liked by many arabs and palestines, although the persians, in paticular Iran, hated him. Saddam was their arch enemy, but during the gulf war he sent missiles towards Israel which boosted his image with many arabs.

I see Saddam's death as a pointless act by the Bush Administration to boost morale in the iraq war, make it look like they hit a major milestone.

Do you mean american's morale can be boosted by such barbaric behaviour ?

Seriously I think not. But I'm beeing more and more disgusted by this country.

He should have stood the rest of his trials. Now officials in his administration who were guilty of as much evil will probably go free for lack of evidence.

Maybe the US will hire them. After all, it hired some Nazis...

...for you and all of the other Baathists.

Do you also see blue pigs flying outside of your window? Saddam is dead because of the Iraqi justice system. His death is cheered by a great majority of Iraqis.

This was a pointless killing of a man, not innocent but death none the less. Now, that he is lost, he can longer face the full extent of what his punishment should be.

You're right here. Hanging was too merciful. He should have been whipped 100 times for each life he was convicted of ending, and bled to death.

Saddam's stonewalling didn't work for the other two officials that hung with Saddam today.

Considering that it was an Iraqi court and not an American one that tried, convicted, and executed Saddam....

Anyway, I am just glad it is over.

My point was that prior to his execution it was argued that setting a date would incourage his supporters to launch attacks to cancel the verdict and / or set him free, and that reason is now gone.

I don't see how that eluded you in my original post, unless you deliberately chose to do so. :confused:

Has anyone tried to free him.... ever?

Top Bottom