SCENARIO: Age of Imperialism; 1895-1924, Deluxe Version

OOOH Greenland, another great city to destory... so Scandinavia is now in the Colonial Game?

Ya, point taken about the US being able to take over North America if it had wanted to. Luckily, Canada and the USA pretty like each other in real life! :) But I guess there's no way to stop the AI running rampant without making the US unrealistically weak or Canada/Mexico unrealistically strong. Better to leave it as is. (Side note: I've conquered North America with Japan once. That was a tough battle!)

I've seen Russia take out Japan's holdings in Korea once or twice, but I don't recall Japan making gains against mainland Russia. I have seen Japan take Sakhalin though. Interestingly, in the game where Russia hit Japan early and took Korea, Western Russian got absolutely ripped by Germany/Austria/Balkans. I think the Russians must have used human wave tactics to overwhelm Korea and then had nothing left when their European neighbors declared war (which happened a couple turns after they they finished Japan off in the east).

Also, I play with a modded version that has no unit limits. That could explain China's inevitable mainland Asian success in every game I play maybe? They've got an awesome population base, so the poor quality of their troops matters less when there's no unit cap. They can just outproduce their neighbors and build an unstoppable mega-horde of expendable goons! (Also, the 5/7 Chinese rifleman sucks, but it's not like French colonial infantry are exactly rocking either.)

(I was thinking of taking out Vientiane in my version and adding in Chiang Mai as as a third Siamese city. No particular reason, I just like Thailand. :cool:)

Scandinavia had the Danish Antilles iirc in the current version. but yeah, this is a second one :lol: in greenland.

it's almost inevitable in most of our games for the US to dominate in north america. sure there were some variances (i recall seeing canada take some US cities and hold them). but for the most part, the incredible industrial ceiling for the US is remarkable. capturing NA as the Japanese is super-impressive. russia will have some interesting new wrinkles as ivan will have new colonial sectors that are detached from their industrialized areas. the 'stans (khazakstan, turkmenistan etc) and manchuria. i look forward to observing russia once i start the play testing phase (soon). this new version will also patch over the maximum unit limits which have hampered this scenario in the past. really pleased to have cured this annoying aspect. also combined in the exe patch is a no city limit for the map thus the extra cities i added (c. 20 or so iirc). start-up and IBT times during bug testing for units was very much like what i remembered for the last version. iow, no real change in turn times. so this is always good :D will continue adding in the african faction units.

I'm anxiously awaiting this update almost as much as I did Ver 4.0!

I think that the changes to the civ's, the added cities and the removal of the unit limit are all going to create some new and interesting wrinkles that make this more of a must play than it already is.

One of the drawing cards for me with your scenarios, El Justo, is your concerted attempt, to the extent that the civ3 engine will allow, to be as historically accurate as you can. I see the introduction of more flavour units as yet another of your ventures along that path. There impact on game play will be minimal at best, but they spice the tasty dish you continue to serve and present another layer of period setting that I have come to love about your work.

The introduction of the various "barbarian" rebels will prove interesting as well. I hope that your play testing supports your intent for them and that they remain a part of the update. I see them being an open sore for those civ that find them within their borders. Nothing that will cause the death of the patient, but an annoyance that one needs to account for. It will be interesting to see how the AI reponds to them. I wonder if it might be possible to lessen the desire for some of the civs to want to search out and kill the "barbarians"? I guess what I'm getting at with this is to reduce the likelyhood of other civs going after these units in a neighbour's country thus making them more of a homegrown problem. Perhaps by making their presence more favourable or less undesirable for those civs that don't have them within their borders to begin with. I don't know if something like that is even possible. If it were, it would quazy represent the encouragement of these rebel factions by foreign powers which would be another step toward historical accuracy.

As I said, I eagerly await the release of the update trusting that you will continue to draw me in and polish further an already sparkling gem.

Those changes to Russia sound exciting. I guess you will separate them with mountains? Will there will be one heavily guarded path through (like with the Tibet-India corridor)? It would be cool to simulate the paranoia of the Anglo-Russian Great Game for Central Asia. Also, will Persia and Ottomans have access to Russia's Central Asian colonies? That could up the tension in the Caspian Sea. Anyway, I'm sure it will be great however you decide to do it.

The barbarians will be fun! Will the Cuban natives and Filipinos stay as one-city-civs, or are they going to be converted into barbarians? (No offense intended to anyone reading this, obviously I don't think Cubans and Filipinos are barbarians, it's just because of the size of the civs in this scenario!)

As for the historicity of this scenario, I think it goes without saying that it's second to none. I can't even imagine the research that went into the naval lines alone. The work and research that is evident when you play the scenario really adds to the pleasure. It's like a game that's also a graduate thesis on late 19th to early 20th century military history! :goodjob:

thanks for the very kind words, gentlemen :) fwiw, i received graduate credits for my undergrad history thesis on the american counter-insurgency campaign in the PI at the turn of the 20th century :) so i do apply the research tactics i learned in college on these scenarios. the writing part i don't b/c that would be a thick-ass book. i mean, the civp stuff. i c&p that stuff and take no credit for writing it (the unit entries and the like). some of the other stuff though we did write from scratch (gcon entries, all of them).

no pathway for anyone into the russian 'stans. however, the caspian is there for persia to use for land and sea entry. and yes, this area will be sealed off with the mountain tiles and will be open to turkish and persian incursions. i should state again that i recognize that the so-called great game between russia and britain was pretty much over by 1895. however, this was the time in which each nation sort of solidified its toe hold in the area and areas of influence were formally (through treaties iirc) recognized. i'll need to keep an eye on the balance in this region when i test. on paper, it all looks good (russia has 9 or 10 cities iirc). so we shall see.

been busy with real life stuff the last few days and have family coming into town this weekend. so not sure how much i can get done. but it's basically down to adding in these faction/barb units. still have a few more spots to add, about half way through them, i think :)

forgot to note that yes, the Filipinos and Cubans are represented as "Separatists". i guess this is probably the best term to use :)

great news : i was able to put all but the last sets (still looking at arabian peninsula) of faction units into the files. here is the list so far:

Philippines, Cuba, Indonesia, Madagascar, Tanzania, Sudan, Chad, Nigeria, Brit Gold Coast, Sierra Leone, French West Africa, Spanish Sahara, Namibia

didn't want to put these types of units into the industrialized areas. so none in europe and none in north america. i did not put any in south america either. the main theme between all of the barb factions is that they were on the front lines of colonial conflicts.

need to look over the arabian peninsula some. i would like to add some there if it's feasible. korea may be an option too. need to look some more.

Also, I play with a modded version that has no unit limits. That could explain China's inevitable mainland Asian success in every game I play maybe? They've got an awesome population base, so the poor quality of their troops matters less when there's no unit cap. They can just outproduce their neighbors and build an unstoppable mega-horde of expendable goons! (Also, the 5/7 Chinese rifleman sucks, but it's not like French colonial infantry are exactly rocking either.)

China is not always successful, in one of my games as Portugal, the French took Kunming, and I decided to join on the bandwagon from tiny Macao, and with the British enduring most of China's human wave tactics in HK and Shanghai, I was able to sneak around and take all of its coastal cities(which included Tsingtao and Shanghai by the end). Granted, this happened in only one game, and China does do better than it would historically.

As for Bosnia, why not represent it as a few immobile units belonging to the Balkans with hidden nationality, if barbarians aren't feasible?

Very interesting developments, old boy. I do like the idea of the separatist factions, as it adds an extra level of veracity to the enterprise. I'll be keen to see how you go with this.

Simon

In my current game as Germany, it is very near the end of the first era, and France and Britain just went to war, so I will give you one more test of that. Though I am severely tempted to join one side or the other, I should probably stay out of that one, since I took all of Scandanavia except for the Antilles(working on that one), and my ususal chroninc underproduction means I can't afford a European war now. I seriously need to build a lot of ground troops.

The only other was has been the Austrians declaring and dragging me into a war with the Ottomans. I have no idea why that started either. Everyone has ROP with the Balcans, so we constantly send units to fight in their territory. :lol: I don't know whether to try and end that, or get something from them in Asia Minor. I finally have some artillery so I have been shooting the Ottoman fleet to pieces as they try to bombard Trieste. Where's the Austrian fleet you ask? They are bombarding the Antilles with me. :crazyeye:

I only just realised I could probably get a ROP with the Central Americans and drop off raw materiels on one side and have them board ships on the other coast. :( I am so, so slow...

The only other was has been the Austrians declaring and dragging me into a war with the Ottomans. I have no idea why that started either. Everyone has ROP with the Balcans, so we constantly send units to fight in their territory. :lol: I don't know whether to try and end that, or get something from them in Asia Minor.
Take Constantinople, Thessaloniki, and (if possible) one other city. You'll get Mediterranean ports, more Victory Locations, and at least one more Luxury. Not to mention a good reason to invade the Balkans.

I only just realised I could probably get a ROP with the Central Americans and drop off raw materiels on one side and have them board ships on the other coast. :( I am so, so slow...
Conquer Panama. Granted they'll probably have MGs, but just snag 4-6 Infantry and a few BBs for Fire Support and you ought to grind them down eventually. Then make Peace.

Panama is indeed a prime target for any major nation that seeks to control the oceanic trade lanes.

I just want to shorten the route for my pacific raw materiels and avoid having to run the gauntlet around africa.

I've thought about going for the Balcans, but I suspect that would be tougher then it looks, plus I am still way too thin on the ground in Europe. I have Russia and France as neighbors, I know better!

I just want to shorten the route for my pacific raw materiels and avoid having to run the gauntlet around africa.
Something else you can do is get a RoP with the British and send the RMs to the east coast of Africa, then north to the Mediterranean (and your transports). Trying to get TRs through the Suez Canal can be ... iffy.

I've thought about going for the Balcans, but I suspect that would be tougher then it looks, plus I am still way too thin on the ground in Europe. I have Russia and France as neighbors, I know better!

:p The Balkans are not too difficult, particularly once you have a decent stack of Artillery to soften them up. Granted, I typically hit them before they get MGs simply because I don't like having to deal with that much defense, but they aren't terribly strong. About the only problem I've ever had with invading the Balkans is that there's some jerks in pink seperating the glorious pieces of my victorious Reich. Unless I'm playing Austria-Hungary, that is, in which case those selfish, ungrateful jerks in the Balkans need the firm leadership only the true heirs of the Holy Roman Empire can bring, and those unwashed hordes of pagan barbarians to the north can stay in their forests until properly civilized folk need them to make the enemy run out of ammunition :p

I know the feeling about Austria. I keep seeing them attack with a pile of their crappy cavalry, and ask myself what else they are building. Their ship line isn't all that horrible, I wish they would build some more ships. :p

After Siam and then the USA also declared wr on Britain, I just had to get in on that action. If nothing else, just to thin them out some at sea. I was shooting up their ports in the Pacific and noticed Cairns was defended by a Home Guard unit, so I sent my litle squadron down there, along with the Naval Infantry I had transfrerred south earlier. That unit managed to defeat the Home Guard, though my fleet was little help, since they couldn't defeat the coastal fort. I see I can't build any troops in the city? :confused: That does make Australia/NZ a rather unpalatable target. I wasn't really planning on expanding there, it was more of a target of opportunity.

I have a Corps in action in the Caribbean. I took Jamaica and the Antilles, and am at Georgetown now, trying to take it. Britain has lost one Canadian city in the center, Kingston to me, and also lost Cork to the French, though they took the cityon the northern tip of Madagascar in trade. So they are down three cities so far, and between me and the French we have shot their fllet in home waters up pretty badly. Looks good so far. :)

I know the feeling about Austria. I keep seeing them attack with a pile of their crappy cavalry, and ask myself what else they are building. Their ship line isn't all that horrible, I wish they would build some more ships. :p

Austrians ... crappy cavalry? They're 10/6/3 with 4 HP for 450. Granted they're not the 12/6/3 beasts Germany gets for the same price, but they're good units. The generic Light Cavalry is 10/6/3 with 3 for 450, the French (IIRC) get an 11/6/3 with 4 HP for either 450 or 540, the Italians get a 10/6/3 with 4 for 540 shields, the Turks get an 11/6/3 with 3 for 540 (which is pretty arguably worse than the Austrian one - HP makes a huge difference). Do the Austrians have excellent Cavalry? No. But it's sturdy and relatively cheap.

And if you want Austria to build more ships, give them more than one shipyard! A single port does not a naval power make, ya know. That's why the Austro-Hungarians need to take Kerkira at the least, and preferably Athens and hopefully Thessaloniki and Istanbul.

I see I can't build any troops in the city? That does make Australia/NZ a rather unpalatable target. I wasn't really planning on expanding there, it was more of a target of opportunity.
Yeah, Australia doesn't have any Industrialization *or* Colonisation resources, so a lot of people can't build things there. The Japanese are a notable exception. However, there are several wonders that auto-produce RMs IIRC, so it's not bad to take it if you can. The AI's poor amphibious capabilities should let you garrison a relatively small amount of units there to control it.

People keep talking about the AI's "poor amphibious capability", while in this scenario I have seen the AI consistently land 12-20 units some turns. This is one of the few scenarios where their naval units can get the job done of you ignore them. I've seen the AI build hordes of capital and other class ships in this scenario, plus 100+ transports. They get the job done. :p particularly if they have had peace for a long time, the first couple turns of war they can put up a serious blitz.

On the plus side, Britain is broke, and I have nearly 40K gold. :p I'm narrowly ahead on points, but I am going to fall behind soon because I have not been able to get my transports home since the war started. The Atlantic southwest of Britain is very hot!

Oh, yes, the AI is much better in AoI than it is in the epic game, but it's still pretty bad - they don't use Fire Support, and their convoys won't hang around. So what if they land 20 or even 30 units in Australia? If you have 15 Infantry units and 10 Artillery - leaving aside any ships you might have nearby able to lend some real firepower - you shouldn't have any problems dealing with them unless you're using Schutztruppes against WWI Infantry.

Yes, they build absolutely insane numbers of ships (I've seen the British with 100+ BBs alone), but they still can't use them effectively. I've had Transports sitting right outside the major British shipping lanes, at war with the British and the French, with literally dozens of convoys skipping right past them. Sure you'll get the odd 3-4 strong Hunter-Killer group that will attack enemy shipping, but it's not terribly common.

RE: Points: Honestly, if you take the VP Locations you can amass a staggering number of VPs that way. As A-H, I managed to get a VP Win with only a few hundred (~400, I think) RM points, the rest came from holding the Locations in the Balkans, Turkey, and (IIRC) SW Russia.

I've found Australia to be a fairly good spot to build smaller ships and use as a raiding point against Eastern Africa and India. Its not a bad spot if you want to harry Britain, France or whoever is in control of the region. Also as the game progresses and depending on which Civ you are, its a pretty good spot to pump out aircraft, especially bombers. Recently as the US I was able to conquer most of China due to the bombers built from Australia and NZ, but I wouldn't mind having something to defend that's not an AA gun.

great comments all. thanks for sharing.

re amphibious activity by the AI - well, it is what it is, i'm afraid. yeah, it's better in AoI. but the game engine has its limitations. so we are essentially at the mercy of it in terms of gameplay etc. not that i'm bltching :) i am pretty happy with it overall. and the sea units i'm happy with to aside from the lack of a true fire support platform from the AI. but again, that's picking nits. so i won't sweat that. AoI has by far the best naval activity of any civ3 game ever made. i'm not afraid to post that :)

been trying to hash out the last of the faction tribes. been reviewing my notes to try and finalize the list. it's been a little more than i had anticipated. however, all necessary and not that much of a drag. so here it is - no to separatists on the arabian peninsula. it's a no-go mainly b/c the uprisings did not occur until ww1, long after the start of the scenario. yeah, i could plop a few of those guys into the middle of the desert. but i don't want to, mostly b/c it's just too far off. same goes for the british north-west frontier region in afghanistan. 1895 through about ww1 was a period of relative calm (and treaties subjugating afghan foreign policy to the brits). so a no-go on this one.

no to chinese or korean units floating around japanese held territory on the korean peninsula. here's why - i want to sort of consolidate japan's historical gains made in the sino-jap war of 1894-95. by this i mean that i am more comfortable as a designer and historian by setting aside the outcome of that war from the start. this means china is out of korea altogether (already done for the last few versions of AoI) and also out of taiwan (again, same from past versions). now, the kicker to all this is that japan actually snagged manchuria during the first sino-jap war. and they were obviously psyched about it since it linked up korea etc and gave them that buffer that they so much desired. however, the rascal russians apparently put a crap-load of pressure on france and britain for japan to turn over manchuria to them and increase the indemnity owed by china to japan who was in no position to challenge 3 of the world's top nations. it's an interesting historical dilemma imo and one that i was not fully aware of until i read some more into it all. anyhow, the sum is that russia obtained rights to manchuria, much to japan's dismay. of course, this was settled not bu a few years later when the japanese smoked ivan and kicked him out for good during the russo-jap war. long story short from, i want to try to stay historically accurate and let russia keep this area. the alternative would have been to set manchuria to china, let japan try to wrench it away, and let the game roll from there. to be honest, i'm not totally comfortable with that. so manchuria will remain russian despite it actually being occupied (mostly) by japanese troops at the turn of 1895.

last set of faction units to add - dutch east indies. 3 sets, one on sumatra, another on sulawesi, and a set on bali (had to sort of smoosh it onto the map).

not sure if i noted before but i've added in a small wonder called "Counter-Insurgency Campaign", available at Col Admin 3. the two benefits: doubles combat strength against barbs and increases chance of a great leader.

Top Bottom