Scientific Anarchy: A Random Tech Adventure

I an see two pictures of the science advisor, but the rest of the image links are broken for me as well?!

My phone will load all the images while I'm using 4G, but less than half load on WiFi. Happened that way using 4 different browsers.

I'm not suggesting you should be making a special effort to fix this just for me! ;) I'm now pretty sure the problem is at my end and that it's a phone/bandwidth issue, because when I logged in on the phone earlier today (over our home WLAN), I was again shown only about half the images -- but not the same group as before. And now on my Win8.1 desktop, also through Firefox but now with a hardwired (kinda sorta) LAN-connection, I can see all the attached images.

Can you check now? I've moved Part 25 to my personal web server, whereas part 24 are still from my e-mail provider. They're completely different servers, run by different companies, the former in Toronto, the latter in New York. Now that there's three reports it does look kinda suspicious. If you can report back on whether both Part 24 and Part 25 are displaying all images, that would help in figuring out if there is a server issue. It is possible that the server is getting overwhelmed by all the images.

I also checked, and Page 4 is loading 120 requests, weighting in at 29.4 MB. 89 of those (28.6 MB) are images, including smilies, avatars, etc. Most of the rest are XenForo-related scripts. But it does mean page 4 is kind of heavy. Hopefully this mixed-host test will help figure out if it's the server being overwhelmed or clients trying to conserve bandwidth. jarred!'s experience and test results suggests conserving bandwidth might not be what's going on.

I'm also curious if @Lanzelot is on mobile or desktop/laptop, trying to narrow down the problem. And I suppose also those who didn't have any difficulties, e.g. @choxorn could provide useful info on what they were using that worked.

In summary, if half the audience is having trouble viewing the images, that's a problem! Maybe the server needs to be switched, maybe a best viewed in Netscape desktop browsers tag needs to be added, maybe we just need more replies in posts rather than likes so pages of the thread don't accumulate as many images. I could also try to winnow down the images by half... but that might make it not really the same style of story.

All pictures in part 25 look fine now.
BTW: I'm on a desktop with Gigabit LAN between the desktop and the router/cable modem and a 100 MBit Internet connection. (Supposedly... Though I suspect it's more like 80 MBit... You know how these Internet Providers are...)

If you can report back on whether both Part 24 and Part 25 are displaying all images, that would help in figuring out if there is a server issue. It is possible that the server is getting overwhelmed by all the images.
For me, on the Win8.1 desktop, LAN connection, Firefox v.102.0.1 (I have DL'd today's update, but not yet restarted it) all images in Part 25 are displaying correctly, but there are still broken-image icons in Part 24. The images are accessible, though: if I right-click any of those icons, I can open the individual image in a new tab.

Last edited:
I'm using a laptop

Just FTR, on my office Mac-mini today, on Firefox (v.92.0; I don't have Admin-rights to make updates), all images are (now?) showing in Parts 24 + 25.

On my phone using WiFi and Firefox and all images loaded on page 4.

Edit: worked on chrome too.

Last edited:
A couple turns in, I remember that goody huts are usually better before you have a military, so I switch my first unit to a Spearman. The worker, having built a mine, goes out to explore. This could be bad!

It could have been, because you were playing with modded rules and because of unpredictable results. However, for the unmodded game, if you have no military (curraghs probably count as military since they have attack/defense value), you will never spawn military from huts. I remember Moonsinger mentioning workers used to pop goody huts on Sid level. I think someone else said so somewhere else.

Thanks for all the feedback on what's loading, and what isn't! The "failing to load" definitely is variable, but the good news is no one has reported Part 25 having any images failing to load since moving it to my personal website host. The only downside is there isn't as much free space on that server, but it should be plenty for this story. So I'll go with that for Part 26 and going forward.

Part 26: The Zulu and Incan Wars

With the emergence of war with the Zulu in 1763, the completion of Metallurgy in 1764 is of somewhat greater import. The Calculator of Wisdom indeed showed itself to be wise by choosing that technology at that time.

As we consult the oracles in 1764, we realize that their answer may well indicate if our priority should be the land or the sea - Frigates or Cavalry. And the answer they give, is that we should research Military Tradition. The Zulu may brave the seas to land troops, but if so they will be met with a harsh reception.

The emergence of the Zulu war leads to a surge in approval for the government, with the approval ratings of the Prime Minister soaring to 84%. Citizens are aghast that the Zulu would simply demand contact, when Persia was happy to offer us compenstation for the fruits of our exploratory endeavours. Knights across the country pledge to don their suits of armor; local citizens begin training with muskets, and industrial leaders begin bringing cannon factories online. Work on the banking network continues, as well. The sinews of war may be gold, or they may be good soldiers, but we are determined to be prepared either way.

But, for all the action, there is little to be done in 1764 - the Zulu simply are not nearby.

1766 will, however, see action.

Against the Inca! Our treaties have expires, and our troops are ready.

Orhan leads the way, and before long our Knights storm into the city. We begrudgingly keep it, for its Courthouse as much as anything. By turns' end, 8 Knights are present to help end the resistance. Alas, there is some unhappiness among the entire former Incan core, as well - many citizens there still consider themselves Incan.

We have a plan for taking over the Incan island, as well.

We have rights of passage with both the Iroquois and the Americans; thus, our ships will sail to Arequipa, and our troops will travel there by land. We should be able to ferry troops over pretty quickly, led by Musketmen to defend on the hills outside of Huanuco, with Cannons and Sipahi to follow. Huanuco is, unfortunately, on hills itself, and thus well-defended, but Sipahi should be able to take it without too many losses, if the initial beachhead can be maintained.

The 1760s end with this plan being implemented, no activity from Zululand, and little from the Inca - a lone Galley is spotted approaching our shores. Even among other nations, the only item of note is that America begins Smith's Trading Company in 1770. We should finish it first, however.

As our troops gradually assemble by Arequipa, Suleiman the Magnificent has been scouting Incan lands. He spots a great many Medieval Infantry, but curiously no Knights or Cavalry. I'd hoped to see at least a few, to know whether they have Cavalry yet if nothing else, but alas, it was not to be.

Military Tradition finishes up in 1772.

We duly ask the Calculator of Wisdom what to research. Some astute mathematical observers may argue that this is unnecessary, but we Ottomans are loyal to the process. The Calculator instructs us to research... Physics!

Our first Knight is upgraded to a Sipahi on the very first turn we can, with 56 more in waiting. The Inca, apparently, sense this impending doom.

I ponder this. It is true; we have retaken Atico without loss of troops, and the Inca pose no threat for us, as the Zulu do, or indeed even as the Iroquois do. We could crush them easily, but we also have bigger fish to fry. Thus, we decide to negotiate. And to our surprise, the Inca would even fight the Zulu if we asked them to, although as that sounds like a good way to have the Zulu end up just off our coastline, we decline to pursue that option. Instead, we make peace in exchange for 65 gold and a World Map.

Thus, we can focus on our greater goals. One, of course, would be defeating the Zulu. But as of 1774, they have entered the Industrial Age, and while our meager navy may have been enough to land the troops required to take over the Inca, it is certainly not enough to land a force that could withstand the Zulu - even if we escaped any Frigates that they may be building.

Instead, we see an opportunity to use our Sipahi to strike first and decisively against the Iroquois. Our generals have identified a strategic opportunity, in that they only have two sources of saltpeter, and we believe we can take them out.

Our army would heavily focus on attacking west and southwest from Corihuayrachina. Andahuaylas is close to one of the two saltpeter resources, which we would expect to gain control of. Taking Machu Picchu would be optional, but highly convenient for securing our supply line, with a goal of then taking Allegheny, and being close enough that an Explorer or Sipahi could then pillage the remaining source of Iroquois saltpeter. Thus denying them Cavalry (or any beyond what they've already built, at least), and, if they do not have Nationalism yet, also preventing them from building any more Musketmen, and thus from having an effective defense. Meanwhile, a secondary force would target Vitcos in a pincer movement, thereby isolating Chuquiapo (east of Vitcos) and keeping the length of the front line manageable, enabling a higher percentage of our forces to join the western strike force.

It will take a couple turns of maneouvering to position our troops for the new plan, and in the meantime, Physics is researched in 1782.

We ask our Abacus of Advancement what to study next, and it theorizes that understanding gravity is what will really help us. Thus, we start researching it straightaway.

Finally, in 1782, our troops are ready. 33 Sipahi are in position, our Cannons are ready, and our defences are - we hope - adequately manned. We even give the Zulu 60 gold in exchange for peace, just so that no one thinks we're overextended. It's now time to determine who the dominant power is on our continent.

Part Twenty-Seven: The First Round of the Ottoman-Iroquois War

Just after midnight on July 23, 1782, an unarmed Ottoman rider approaches an Iroquois worker camp just across the border from Palenque. Finding the camp guard, he approaches, dismounts, and hands over a declaration of war. This action is repeated at posts across the border - by Vilcabamba, Vitcos, and Andahuaylas. At dawn, Ottoman troops cross the frontier, and within weeks they are near the gates of major Iroquois cities.

The general plan was shared in the previous post. But it's worth looking at the larger pictures as well.

The Ottoman-Iroquois border is large, and both countries have significant landmasses behind the frontier as well. It's impossible to have perfect preparation at every point, and while the number of Musketmen at frontier towns has been increased, it's expected that there will be some give-and-take in the war. On the Ottoman side, it would not be shocking to see cities such as Vilcas targeted, and some formerly Mayan or Incan cities may fall. The Wall remains manned as a fallback position, should that be necessary, although that is not expected to be the case.

Should the plan go more according to plan - successfully, that is - the goal is to first take the Iroquois supplies of Saltpeter, and then other resources to reduce their trade power. They currently are trading with America and Zululand, and we believe they are supplying America's saltpeter. Now that there is war, Lincoln would join us for Gems, but we note that if America remains at peace with the Iroquois, and we pillage one Iroquois source of Saltpeter, then the Iroquois will be exporting all of their Saltpeter to America, and will have none domestically. Thus, in the immediate term, it may be more advantageous to not bring America in to the war.

The tactical level is also worth noting. Armed with the knowledge that the Iroquois have large numbers of Medieval Infantry, the current plan is to have the Sipahi act as strike forces from city bases - the idea being that the borders of captured cities will provide a buffer that will slow down Medieval Infantry, and largely prevent them from attacking. It may not always work out, but if it does most of the time, the offensive power of the Sipahi will be maximized.

Our first movement is towards Vitcos.

Knights and a Cannon approach from the north; a lot of Cannons and two Knight Armies (currently near Cori) approach from the South. It will be attacked in 1784, in the first real test of artillery.

Next, we start sending Sipahi to Andahuaylas.

Four in a row win, but there are still more Musketmen. Perhaps some espionage would have been worth the money before starting the war? But after one retreat, the fifth and final Musketman is defeated, revealing a Knight.

This Knight hands us our first loss of the war. But after defeating it, another Knight, and two Medieval Infantry, we have the city.

We pillage a tile to protect our injured Sipahi, but decide in the end to try to take Macchu Picchu as well.

This starts poorly, with two losses and a retreat, but it appears there are only three Musketmen here. There winds up also being a Knight, and one more Sipahi is lost before the city is taken.

On the whole, we have now defeated thirteen Iroquois units, and have expended roughly half of our Sipahi movements. We've also realized that we will have to take the Hill southwest of Macchu Picchu, but that it is a dangerous place to advance now - despite its defensive bonus, it would be an excellent place for Medieval Infantry to launch cost-effective attacks on Sipahi. Thus we decide to have our Sipahi focus on quelling the resistance in the towns we've taken for now, until we see how large of a counter-offensive the Iroquois mount. We also send some defenders from Corihuayrachina west, to try to take the Mountains by Macchu Picchu before the Iroquois do.

The Iroquois response is multi-faceted. First, they attack the defenders we sent out.

We lose a Pikeman here, but the losses are small compared to what they would be if we were losing Sipahi. We do lose a couple Sipahi, however - such as near Chuquaipo, where a Medieval Infantry wins a battle against a small contingent that was approaching the city.

The Iroquois also defeat the Sipahi who pillaged a tile near Andahuaylas - but do not attack the injured Sipahi - and sally forth at Vitcos.

This forces a Knight to retreat. But overall, the response is limited. Most likely, this is due to many of their troops not being near the frontier; we expect to see more as time goes on.

In 1784, our first priority is Vitcos. The bombardment is moderately successful. Five of eleven cannons hit. This is hardly a triumph, but does mean we face Pikemen to start rather than Musketmen.

Murad II's army struggles, however, losing half its hitpoints. Suleiman fares much better, taking out three Muskets while losing only five hitpoints. Pikes are still useful against horses! Murad then takes out a Musket and a Medieval Infantry - falling to 5 HP in the process - before a Knight from the North takes the city.

This drastically improves the border situation. Our expeditionary forces near Chuquiapo then advance, losing one Sipahi but defeating the Musketman and Medieval Infantry outside the city. We don't have enough forces to take Chuquiapo yet, but with it now being isolated, its threat is essentially neutralized. All in all, we couldn't have asked for a much better start to the war.

Last edited:
Nice start to the war! You can disconnect the saltpeter outside of Oka but it seems the Iroquois have plenty of Muskets already.

...Do a bunch of those mountains have mines but no roads? :crazyeye:

I like that the grid is off for most pictures (including battles), but it would help me on pictures where you're planning troop movements so I can tell distances more easily.

Last edited:
Always great to see Sipahi in action! I think I mentioned this in Lanzelot's Conquests thread, but they are one of my favourite unique units, probably tied with Immortals for 1st place. By the way, at one point you refer to "the Incan response", I assume you meant Iroquois?

Nice start to the war! You can disconnect the saltpeter outside of Oka but it seems the Iroquois have plenty of Muskets already.

...Do a bunch of those mountains have mines but no roads? :crazyeye:

I like that the grid is off for most pictures (including battles), but it would help me on pictures where you're planning troop movements so I can tell distances more easily.

I think I might not have had enough Sipahi close enough to disconnect that saltpeter? I don't entirely remember, this section was played in 2020. But indeed, that should be a priority...

And yes, roadless mountains! That's one of this scenario's variants:

Cannot build Roads in mountains; they have no resources except Gold

Combined with this one:

All mounted except Keshik, War Elephant, Conquistador are Wheeled, restricted through mountains/jungle

It's designed to make mountains be a barrier, rather than a free-for-all-whoever-moves-first-has-the-advantage-potential-vulnerability-for-whoever-owns-them. You can still cross the Alps with Swordsmen or Hannibal's elephants, but it'll be slow.

Good point on the grid. I'll keep that in mind for future updates!

----

Also, Toxicman007 is right, I thought I'd removed all Inca references, but I missed one! All those Incan city names had me writing "Inca" far too often when it should have been "Iroquois". I'll fix that when I'm home and can update my backup/offline copy as well.

Part Twenty-Eight: The Second Round of the Ottoman-Iroquois War

Note: Our Ottoman correspondent will be traveling to American and Iroquois lands over the next two weeks, and thus parts 29 and 30 may be delayed. He already has made one trip to Mauch Chunk since the start of hostilities, so we don't expect any issues, but he may be too busy with on-the-ground reporting to file updates. We expect his next dispatch to arrive no later than August 20th, and possibly earlier if he catches a quiet evening.

The next priority is countering the Iroquois counter-offensive. There are 5 Knights and 3 Ancient Cavalry by Macchu Picchu - two of the Knights redlined by our defenders - as well as 4 Musketmen, 4 Medieval Infantry, 2 Longbows, a Knight, and a Pikemen visible elsewhere - all in all, twenty units, slightly fewer than the number of Sipahi we have nearby, but about equivalent to the number of uninjured Sipahi nearby. Realizing this lack of numerical superiority, we start to move our Knight reserve forward from Cuzco towards Macchu Picchu, which also has a Barracks that will allow upgrading.

But with enough troops to act now, we start launching our counter-attack.

We make quick work of the main cavalry corps, even mixing in a few injured Sipahi against the redlined Knights, but losing none while they lose all. From here, we target Musketmen near Machu Picchu.

This is a more split result, but better than it would have been had the Musketmen reached the Mountains.

Next, we head into the desert.

One Musketman defeats two Sipahi, but the rest of the stack is defeated.

This reveals a stack of 5 Medieval Infantry/Longbows, guarded by five Pikemen. We obviously don't want to send our troops into that, but we decide it is worth losing one to destroy the source of Saltpeter.

The Iroquois are left with 4 units, out of their initial offensive of 20. We still have 33 Sipahi (including those approaching the front), plus 50 Knights. But it turns out the Iroquois have learned some things.

This time, they align their Knight and Ancient Cavalry attacks so that they hit Macchu Picchu first - and with devastating effect. They destroy 11 Sipahi, while we only destroy 5 Knights and Ancient Cavalry - combined. A Pikeman we lose as well brings the toll to 12, and all of a sudden our momentum has all but disappeared. The only bright spot is that our sacrificial Sipahi who pillaged the saltpeter manages to retreat to Andahuaylas - but that is a small salve on the wound.

Thus, we have some tough decisions in 1786. No Sipahi have healed up in Macchu Picchu, making its defense untenable. We retreat the one surviving Sipahi to Tiwanaku, the sole Knight there to Vitcos, and move the Musketman to the mountains, to go down in a blaze of glory since a retreat is not feasible. Then, we turn to Andahuaylas.

We lose one Sipahi to defeat the Knight, the Pike, and a Longbow, but then realize that if Macchu Picchu is taken, the cavalry stack there will attack Andahuaylas before most of the Sipahi have healed. Thus, the unit that drew the short straw is called upon to make a sacrifice for its comrades in arms.

The pillaging should ensure the rest have time to heal.

It's at this point that we also decide that even if the Iroquois are exporting all their saltpeter, it's time to make sure we have the diplomatic balance in our favor. Exporting all their saltpeter would be temporary until the deal ends, anyway - if we are to truly emerge victorious, we must reach Allegheny, and that may require allies.

Montezuma receives our first envoys.

Always trust an Aztec to go to war! We don't expect Montezuma to contribute a ton, but do expect him to be a thorn in the side of the Iroquois. Their frontier is small, but the Aztecs will likely put a lot of weight there - diverting troops that would otherwise be targeting us.

Next, we talk to Honest Abe about an alliance.

The last American-Iroquois war, so long ago, went Hiawatha's way - New York and Seattle both being taken, and Washington itself not being entirely safe. Thus, America is likely to be an eager ally. And, sure enough, they were receiving saltpeter from Hiawatha - once war is declared, they have no more Saltpeter. We ponder whether to trade our surplus to them, and decide to inform ourselves via an investigation of Washington.

It does not appear they have Metullurgy, let alone Military Tradtion. Thus, it likely would only serve to result in more Musketmen. For now, we demur, although we are pleased to see the eleven regiments based in Washington. America may not have been able to win on its own, but they aren't a house of cards, either.

With these new alliances, the entire continent is now embroiled in the war, with only the now-offshore Inca on the sidelines. The die has been cast, the first punches thrown. Round One went to the Ottomans; Round Two went to the Iroquois. Will the Iroquois continue to win rounds with the diplomatic balance now turned against them? We'll find out in the next section!

Party Twenty-Nine: The Ottoman-Iroquois War, Round Three: New Participants

1786 is not over yet, and neither are our advances - hopefully, though, our retreats are. Orhan's Army is ready to kick into gear, and help take Chuquiapo.

It's an uphill battle, but Orhan wins while losing 10 hitpoints. Without knowing how many Musketmen are in reserve, we decide to wait one more turn to try to take the city, when some more Sipahi will have arrived and we'll have a better idea if we have a major problem on the frontier.

Vitcos is the sight of our first counteroffensive cannonade.

The Medieval Infantry is taken care of, but we decide to let the nearby Knights attack us - perhaps at Palenque, perhaps at Vitcos.

With that, we hand over the reigns of fate. And the Inca respond...

By bombarding one of our ships! But more importantly, they indeed take Macchu Picchu.

The Musketman near there falls soon after, and the Iroquois then focus on approaching Vitcos.

But, a few troops do attack Palenque.

We force two Knights to retreat, and lose a Pikeman. In a potentially more devastating more, The Iroquois then intercept a stack of a couple dozen workers whom I'd failed to stop after the reversals of 1784.

Thankfully, they are not disbanded, meaning we can likely recapture them soon, and have a workforce when the railroad arrives.

The Aztecs appear in force near Chichen Itza this turn, appearing to head towards Vitcos, and thus where the Iroquois are now. We don't expect them to arrive in time, but appreciate the show of force. From America, we see only a Pikeman and an Archer, but given that their core is boxed in by the Iroquois, we expect that their movements are in fact more consequential than what we saw from the Aztecs.

The Theory of Gravity wraps up in 1788.

Following proper mystical process, we ask the Abacus of Advancement what to research, and it deigns... Magnetism! We never could have guessed without it.

1788 marks the start of war weariness, unfortunately, rather early in the war. The Iroquois do not appear to have changed the focus of their war very much, and our citizens fear a repeat of 1784. Approval plummets to an all-time low of 47%, and the government begins to realize its future is not assured at the next election. As such, three possible luxury imports are considered - furs from Zululand for Gems, Spices from Persia for Gems, Silks, and money, and Incense from the Aztecs for Silks and Saltpeter. We only have one surplus source of Gems, meaning "all of the above" is not a valid option.

After sleeping on it for a night, we decide to trust the Aztecs with gunpowder.

This will help us in the short term, and likely not hurt us in the longer term. Next century: trading some uranium to Montezuma!

We decide on the Persians as our other trading partner. It's less of a good deal than the Zulu option, but better for the balance of power, and thus seems like a better long-term choice.

The two deals combine to bring our happiness up to 70%, and secure our continued economic and manufacturing prosperity. The cities that still have happiness issues are highly correlated with cities that either lack a Marketplace, or were recently captured from the Iroquois. Put simply, the results of the trades are quite satisfactory.

With our happiness issues resolved, our attention turns to defending Victos. The eleven Cannons there will come very much in handy.

Half a dozen hitpoints are knocked off of the Iroquois, less than we'd hoped, but better than nothing. It will be really nice to have artillery! Still, it's enough for Suleiman to begin our efforts.

Two Knights and an Ancient Cavalry are felled by our general, and his army reduced to 4 hitpoints - sufficiently few that the incoming Elite Pikeman will be the first defender of the city. Next, we bring in a Knight from Corihuayrachina.

This is unsuccessful. But two Knights from the Gem mine near Tiwanaku, in the lower right of the picture, manage to punch through the enemy line to Vitcos, defeating two Iroquois Knights.

This is followed by a misclick, sending a Sipahi to a sure-fire death in the desert, and another to a tile at which it can provide no help. Darn miswritten orders! So, we decide to refocus our efforts elsewhere, to see how many troops we can send to Vitcos. First is breaking through at Chuquiapo, which would consolidate the front and allow more defensive troops to advance.

A come-from-behind victory reveals that there was only one Musketman left, with a Spearman behind it. This lets us take the city, freeing up two Sipahi. But before they advance, we make sure we don't forget about our workers.

They scurry to safety in the east, and then we advance a Knight from Tikal, and the two newly-free Sipahi.

At this point, the remaining Iroquois force is three Knights (with a combined 4 hitpoints), three Ancient Cavalry (with a combined seven hitpoints), a Medieval Infantry, and a Musketman.

The two remaining Knights in Vitcos take our a Knight and an Ancient Cavalry, and the two Knights left at the Gem mine defeat two more Ancient Cavalry, leaving a situation that is quite manageable. So the focus moves to Andahuaylas, where four Knights are approaching and various foot troops are a turn farther away. The Sipahi there are at least mostly healed now.

The pictured Musketman-under-attack was guarding three of the Knights. All four are easily dealt with by Sipahi, and I decided to leave the foot troops for the next turn, to allow the remaining Sipahi to be fully healed.

Two Sipahi are still in Corihuayrachina, and I send them to clean up the remnants by Vitcos. This proves easy, and in the end, only two Iroquois troops remain in sight.

This is a better result than we had expected; we may be gaining numerical superiority. You'll notice a few Sipahi arriving from the core; had they been ever so slightly quicker, we may have defeated the Iroquois by Vitcos entirely.

With that situation sorted, we end our turn.

Part 30: The Ottoman-Iroquois War, Round 4: Regrouping

Editor's note: Our correspondent's journey to Iroquois territory is completed, but he is not all the way home yet. Thus, this update may be somewhat shorter than usual.

The Iroquois send some troops forth in 1789, against a Medieval Infantry (who defeats an Iroquois Knight), a Sipahi, and two Knights.

The Sipahi and Medieval Infantry are lost, but both Ottoman Knights promote, and the counterattack was noticeably weaker than the previous ones. I am not sure how much of it is due to the distracting force of our allies, but the Iroquois are not the force they used to be. They don't even send the foot troops near Andahuaylas to the gates of the city.

Montezuma, seeing that we no longer need his assistance, redirects his troops in the direction of Tonawanda.

Even if the city is well-defended, the number of Aztec troops heading that way is vast, and I would not be surprised to see Montezuma be rewarded for his efforts in this war.

We begin 1790 by trading with America for their maps. We see one noteworthy difference.

One of the Iroquois sources of Incense has been pillaged. We don't know if this has a direct impact on them - they are trading with Zululand, but we do not know if they were exporting Incense - but if the other source is pillaged, it will have an impact. Resource pillaging is an area where America could have an outsize impact; the Silk by Gandasetaigon, one of two Iroquois sources, is also vulnerable, and the Iron between St. Regis and Buffalo is also potentially within reach. One-on-one, America would have had little chance of pillaging these, but with the greater war, they do have a chance - particularly given the amount of the Iroquois Army we have already absorbed.

Conversely, the Iroquois also have a chance to pillage America's iron supply, near Washington, which would also cut off road reinforcements to San Francisco, New Orleans, and Boston. So the Americans are at least as vulnerable as the Iroquois, and would have been dangerously so in a one-on-one war. But if it came down to it, we may well be willing to export our own Iron to America to keep them going; we mostly use Saltpeter now, anyway. At the very least, we still have one spare source of Saltpeter that we could spare.

Our priority in this year is cleaning up the remainder of the nearby Iroquois forces, while preparing to advance on Machu Picchu next turn. Most of our full-health Sipahi are at Andahuaylas, which due to an inconveniently placed lake, means they cannot reach Macchu Picchu. So, we begin the work.

And a great general emerges on the scene! We have Sultan Selim build a Sipahi Army in Corihuayrachina, and have four veteran Sipahi - three of them from Andahuaylas - join. Selim will lead us forward against Machu Picchu in 1792, much as he lead the Empire forward against the Mamluks in 1516.

The only other advance we make in 1790 is to defeat two Medieval Infantry on our border. This reveals a few more, and we decide to wait and let them advance, rather than sending our Sipahi into Iroquois territory.

This will leave us maximum flexibility for our next turn, in terms of deciding whether to target Machu Picchu or other Iroquois forces. We also take the opportunity to upgrade four Knights to Sipahi, and move two more back to upgrade next turn, which would nearly complete our Sipahi upgrades.

With our lead Sipahi retreating to friendly territory, we end our turn. And the Iroquois seek to end the war.

The problem is we just crafted an alliance against them, and it would be a stain on our honor to make peace now. Never mind my foreign advisor saying the Iroquois outnumber us - we simply could not leave the Americans and Aztecs to be crushed under the Iroquois' collective foot at our doing. Aside from our reputation, if we did that, we'd likely have even more of a problem next time!

The Iroquois respond by attacking my Sipahi.

A second attack forces a retreat, but we lose no troops in 1791. The Iroquois are moving a stack of 7 Medieval Infantry, with an equal number of defensive guards, towards Palenque, but are not on pace to reach it until 1797, giving us some time. Montezuma, meanwhile, is moving an increasing number of troops south, in the general direction of Cattaraugus.

1792 begins with yet more unhappiness, and 46% approval. It seems our luxuries did not buy us much time before reaching the next level of war weariness. As much of the core remains content, we decide to add a few entertainers to bring happiness up to 52%, rather than bump the luxury slider. But it's likely only a few years until that will have to be done as well.

It's time for another Civ story! This is a somewhat normal one, with one key tweak - the next tech will be chosen at random. All those Civ games of the leader dictating what was researched, going for a Republic slingshot, beelining Free Artistry if it's a culture 20K game, or Military Tradition if it's a conquest one? Not happening this time! The ruler can fund science or not, but the wise men set their own priorities - isn't that part of what makes them wise? - and the ruler will have to live with the results.

Tech trading is also disabled; living with random technologies would be less interesting if I could just trade for the ones I really wanted.

Beyond that, the difficulty is somewhere between Monarch and Emperor. I can usually win fairly easily on Monarch, but Emperor is a significant challenge and most often results in a loss. So ideally, the combination of the difficulty level and the random techs will result in a game where a victory is possible, but is far from guaranteed.

Table of Contents

Part One - Intro (4000 BC - 2550 BC)
Part Two - Putting Our Shoulders to the Wheel (2550 BC - 1610 BC)
Part Three - Building the Warrior Wall (1610 BC - 1350 BC)
Part Four - Extending the Thin Orange Line (1350 - 1125 BC)
Part Five - Nature's Imprints on the Map (1125 BC - 750 BC)
Part Six - Ironing Out Some New Settlements (750 BC - 360 BC)
Part Seven - The Ottoman-Mayan War of the Wall (360 BC - 10 BC)
Part Eight - Filling in the Homeland (10 BC - 320 AD)
Part Nine - The Inca's Wars (320 AD - 490 AD)
Part Ten - The Late Ancient Times (490 - 700 AD)
Part Eleven - The Pen is Mightier than the Sword (700 AD - 920 AD)
Part Twelve - Scientific Anarchy (920 AD - 1160 AD)
Part Thirteen - War with the Maya (1160 AD - 1257 AD)
Part Fourteen - The Incan-Ottoman War (1257 AD - 1300 AD)
Part Fifteen - A General Advance (1300 AD - 1357 AD)
Part Sixteen - The Last of the Mayans (1357 AD - 1387 AD)
Part Seventeen - Retaking the Mayan Cities (1390 - 1425 AD)
Part Eighteen - Taking Inca Proper (1425 - 1450 AD)
Part Nineteen - The Incan Insurrection (1450 - 1460 AD)
Part Twenty - The Push to Cuzco (1460 - 1485 AD)
Part Twenty-One - The Defeat of the Inca (1485 - 1500 AD)
Part Twenty-Two: The Age of Exploration (1500 - 1550 AD)
Part Twenty-Three: Continental Peace and Continental War (1550 - 1635 AD)
Party Twenty-Four: The Persian-Zulu War (1635 - 1700 AD)
Part Twenty-Five: You Say You Want a Revolution? (1700 - 1763 AD)
Part Twenty-Six: The Zulu and Incan Wars (1764 - 1782 AD)
Part Twenty-Seven: The First Round of the Ottoman-Iroquois War (1782 - 1784 AD)
Part Twenty-Eight: The Second Round of the Ottoman-Iroquois War (1784 - 1786 AD)
Part Twenty-Nine: The Ottoman-Iroquois War, Round Three: New Participants (1786 - 1788 AD)
Part Thirty: The Ottoman-Iroquois War, Round 4: Regrouping (1789 - 1792 AD)

Rules Changes

The tech randomization and difficulty are the main ones; the others are my standard house customizations.

Difficulty is between Monarch and Emperor, which I'll call King-Elector, and its settings are listed in the following table:

Code:
Item             | Monarch | Current | Emperor
Citizens Content |     2   |     2   |    1
Attack Barbs     |   100   |    75   |   50
Percent Optimal  |    85   |    85   |   80
AI Start Offense |     1   |     2   |    2
AI Start Defence |     2   |     3   |    4
AI Start Settler |     0   |     0   |    0
AI Start Worker  |     0   |     1   |    1
Base Support     |     4   |     6   |    8
Per Settlement   |     1   |     1   |    2
Max Transition   |     4   |     4   |    3
Cost Factor      |     9   |     8   |    8
AI Trade         |   140   |   145   |  150

Map Size
Large-ish. This is set to 120x120, and we'll have 10 civs. This gives about the same number of tiles per civ (720, instead of 704) as a C3C Large map.

House customizations
All mounted except Keshik, War Elephant, Conquistador are Wheeled, restricted through mountains/jungle
Desert no longer allows cities, and has no defensive bonus (vs. 10% normally)
Harbor only does +1 food; Trading Port gives Veterans and Water Trade. Trading Port requires river and Harbor.
Airport no longer gives Air Trade; still gives veteran air. Maintenance cost reduced by 1. International Airport is a Small Wonder that gives Air Trade.
Road requires The Wheel; Mine requires Masonry; Irrigation requires Pottery (all to slow down the early game).
Mountain/volcano movement cost increased to 4 (which should affect Mine costs). Cannot build Roads in mountains; they have no resources except Gold. Hills may have Uranium and Gems. Mountains get +1 shield to compensate.

Summary: Terrain tweaked to add desolate deserts and to make mountains real barriers. Less water/air trading to speed up AI turn times.

Random Technology Implementation

I'll use the randInt function on my trusty TI-83+ calculator to choose what to research next. As an example, randInt(1,6) will give a random integer between 1 and 6 (inclusive).

Settings

Random civ.
9 random opponents
King-Elector Difficulty (as explained above).
Continents
Monarch difficulty. More aggressive AI. Warm, wet, 60% ocean, 4 billion, Restless.
Victory conditions: Defaults.

Comparison to Previous Games

Some of you may have read previous stories I've written. I expect this one to be most similar to The Space Race. Hopefully with a variant that winds up being more interesting and leaving the outcome more in doubt, but we'll find out.

I do have a story-in-progress along the lines of my larger-scale ones (Conquest of the World and Wrath of the AI), but am waiting until that one is farther along before posting, as it shares the same weakness - namely, it takes a long time to play, for both myself and the AI.

Update Frequency

Finally, I'm doing updates a bit differently. Previously, I tended to post updates as they were written. This was somewhat good, as it allowed suggestions in the thread to be incorporated into the game. But it also lead to an unpredictable update schedule, particularly when I didn't have much time for Civ.

This time, I've already played a decent way into the game, with nine updates ready to go. But rather than post them all at once, I'm going to post updates weekly, on Saturday. Hopefully, this evens out the cadence. If I don't play for a few weeks, there will be a backlog; if I do play a lot, that will provide a buffer for when I don't.

In the event that I finish the game, I may speed this up, or start posting double-length updates, but to start with, that's the pace that can be expected.
This has some very interesting ideas. I have toyed with the idea of blocking tech trading, and limiting air trade would speed up the late game. I will need to study this a bit more.

Top Bottom