SGOTM 14 - Plastic Ducks

Moving to Delhi: ok, since the many caravels might delay the attack even more.

Time to finish the bridge in the south, bring every galleon to the front ASAP, they will be needed to go after Oz. Make a few extra galleons so that we can pick up ~15 units to go after Oz. I don't think the GG will be able to make it in time. He needs to be killed before we get the victory message.

;)

We have enough units in the Aztec area to go after Oz, just lacking ships. I'll do another simulation but with promoted units, should make a difference. (I used unpromoted maces the first time)

EDIT: took 7 units with Combat II and CR II... we'll be just fine ;) Oz only has 50% chances to go unscratched at first, so it really isn't too difficult to kill him.

Played till the end of T172. Uploaded the save

Overall, things are going well, even though the AIs are showing surprising skills :

- Gandhi and MM caravels are harassing our galleons. I lost two of them, though I didn't lose any units because I had seen it coming.
As you will see, Delhi will have to be conquered on foot, since Gandhi is completely blocking the way.

- Monty stuck a WE on the tile I was planning to land on, forcing me to land on the PH and attack Atzx first.
But then the WE wouldn't move. I tried to attack it but lost (big mistake if you ask me), so I had to turn around the galleons that were already moving in Oz's direction to move my units 1 NW of Aztec capital

- The center of the map is a bit of a mess.
The reason is that I had already started moving some troops when I realized that Monty's knight was nowhere to be seen. So I went looking for it and found it 1SE of where the lone worker is standing (didn't put a marker, sorry). So I did what I could with the units that still had some movement left.
The plan here is to lure the knight into attacking the worker, then reform the stack.
The GG is standing with his pants down in Tzintzun because I misclicked (not used to playing at 2AM...) and moved the galleon out of the city instead of unloading it. But I believe the knight can't reach the city, so we should be fine.

The rest will have to wait until tomorrow, until then, feel free to post any comments/advice you want !!

It's okay, don't worry ;)

You could have also unloaded the stack to Tex 1W of the city. Since the southern city only had 20% culture, we'd be free to move.

Don't worry about the GG, he's safe.

Our worries for now should be simply to finish off every city in a timely fashion. We can do it in 8 turns at most, 6 is the limit I think.

I'm going to reverse an earlier statement:
no more Trebuchets in the south! Units and galleons that can reach Oz or Mansa's last cities within 6 turns.

Aztec:
Texcoco
Don't leave the sword alone, it can be picked off by the WE. The city should fall within 3 turns, you can suicide the Trebuchets if need be.

Malinalco
Same as above, no problem here.

Tlaxcala
Send back Galleon 21&5 to pick the troops next turn (T173, some units can walk 2 tiles to galleon 5) on the silver mine. Unload T174 NE of the city bombard T176 and probably T177. Take city T178.

Tlacopan
Should fall T173. Bombard with 4xp Treb (we need him for later) and attack with 2xp Treb.

Calixtlahuaca
Troops from Tlacopan move T174-175, bombard T176,177, take city T178.

Tula
Unload the troops in TzinTzunTzen next turn from Galleon 27.
Walk down there and take the city.

However those units are quite weak, so take the worker 1NW of Tzintzuntzen and send him to make a road UNDER the stack you landed off the road for Wadan with the help of the worker there. Road should be finished T174 and allow troops from Wadan to go help.

HOWEVER, since this city is basically useless to the AI, leave it alive until the last moment possible. This city we will kill only after Oz is dead.

Monty dead ETA: T178~OZ death.

Mansa:
Timbuktu
Bombard T173, T174 bombard, then take. We don't have many units there, add 1~2 for safety.

Agades
Those troops are heavily wounded and not sufficient. Pick up the 2 maces sitting just north of there. We can delay the taking of this city for a few turns, better than losing units there.

Awdaghost
We need to be there in the next 4 turns with at least 2 Trebuchets and 1 unit. Do whatever it takes. Get a galleon of units the following turn there.

Wadan
Overkill :lol: Do upgrade the WE into Combat line before ending the turn.
Don't forget to get a road UNDER the stack with the 2 workers close by. You could have landed 1E and saved yourself a headache :p

Mansa dead ETA: T177~178

Gandhi
Kohlapur
We should be okay here.

Vijayanagara
Try to save the Trebuchets as much as possible because we are low on them and high on units. Try using the Accuracy guys and if that gives you good enough odds go for it. (Save the CRIII for Delhi)

Delhi
Some of the units heading there already have to split and head to the bottom city. Send only 1 Trebuchet and minimal troops to protect it. (WE, XBow, 2~3 Mace).

Amhedabad
Use most of the troops from Madras to go there. We will have to reinforce with Trebuchets that are next to Texcoco or risk losing big. Load the galleon with 1 promotion with 1 extra Treb and send it on its way THIS turn, land 1E of city.

Gandhi dead ETA: T177~178

Oz
Based on the above, we have about 6 turns to mass up as many galleons with units in them and get them to Oz.

We have a bunch of troops on their way, but they are a bit far.

I will examine the save more and try to see what troops we can use for this task.

We probably need to delete every Trebuchet in the galleons that are in the south (except for last MM city) and fill with troops. Every galleon that is more than 6 turns away from Oz need a bridge of [(#of turns away)-5].

For example, Galleon 15 by Gaul is 8 turns away, we'd need 3 bridge-galleons to put it there in time.

~~~

I'm looking at it now, and I don't see how we can get enough units by Oz in 6 turns. So let's just aim for 6 turns and delay capturing Tula for as long as it takes to get sufficient units in place.

EDIT: wouldn't mind someone else's opinion on things, I might have overlooked something which could mean more troops at hand for Oz. For instance, we might have 10~12 troops handy from Aztec lands in time if we pull them fast.

EDIT2: yea, this seems plausible, as well as extra units from Mansa.

Seems in any case that we should win by 1200AD, we've had a much rougher ride than I had expected, team AIs really are harder than Emperor AIs :lol:

It's okay, don't worry ;)

You could have also unloaded the stack to Tex 1W of the city. Since the southern city only had 20% culture, we'd be free to move.
Didn't think of that. That's clever :goodjob:

I'm going to reverse an earlier statement:
no more Trebuchets in the south! Units and galleons that can reach Oz or Mansa's last cities within 6 turns.
There's a bunch of units (Homeland, Viking) I have no idea how to bring up to the front within 6 turns. Should I just disband them to save some cash?

Aztec:
Texcoco
Don't leave the sword alone, it can be picked off by the WE.
I know that, but it's too late, I can't move any units. We just have to hope that the WE will retreat in the city

This is ...
Tlaxcala
Send back Galleon 21&5 to pick the troops next turn (T173, some units can walk 2 tiles to galleon 5) on the silver mine. Unload T174 NE of the city bombard T176 and probably T177. Take city T178.

Tlacopan
Should fall T173. Bombard with 4xp Treb (we need him for later) and attack with 2xp Treb.

Calixtlahuaca
Troops from Tlacopan move T174-175, bombard T176,177, take city T178.

Tula
Unload the troops in TzinTzunTzen next turn from Galleon 27.
Walk down there and take the city.
However those units are quite weak, so take the worker 1NW of Tzintzuntzen and send him to make a road UNDER the stack you landed off the road for Wadan with the help of the worker there. Road should be finished T174 and allow troops from Wadan to go help.
...all good advice, thanks !!

Agades
Those troops are heavily wounded and not sufficient. Pick up the 2 maces sitting just north of there. We can delay the taking of this city for a few turns, better than losing units there.
I expected to find some cultural defences, that's why I sent some trebs. Getting the maces down (+ the one near gau) was indeed the plan.
I don't think that losing those trebs would be a problem as long as they inflict enough collateral, because even if they survive, they won't be of much use for other battles. Except maybe bombarding Awdag, but I hope to bring stronger troop sooner than that.

Wadan
Overkill :lol: Do upgrade the WE into Combat line before ending the turn.
Don't forget to get a road UNDER the stack with the 2 workers close by. You could have landed 1E and saved yourself a headache :p
The ironic part was that landing 1E was my plan all along but when I saw this lonely worker I couldn't resist it even though it's useless for us now. Bad habits die hard or so they say....:rolleyes:

EDIT: wouldn't mind someone else's opinion on things, I might have overlooked something which could mean more troops at hand for Oz. For instance, we might have 10~12 troops handy from Aztec lands in time if we pull them fast.

EDIT2: yea, this seems plausible, as well as extra units from Mansa.
10-12 units out of Aztec lands? 6 turns to bring them all down seems short. Let's hope I can get the 4 galleons in the north down fast, it'll help.

Comments.

I'm going back at it now, though I probably won't have time to finish today.

1)...
2)...
3)The sword can move, no ?
4)...
5)...
6)...
7)...
8) Send minimal units to finish off Mansa [evaluate after the first Trebs unload], galleon bridge as many UNITS (0 Trebuchet from the southern bridge) towards Oz.
Send as many galleons as possible to pick up and bridge units from Monte.

Not all units might be full health in 6 turns to kill Oz, see if a Medic can join the stacks and try to get more units than necessary.

Disbanding units is not worth it, we'll have several turns of anarchy for Free Religion+Caste System, gold is not an issue. Better bring them slowly in case something goes very wrong.

You can play slowly, no rush to play too many turns at once - even upload several time if you want so we can consult together, I'll be around for a while.

Actually I'm not going to play at all : my daughter woke up much earlier than expected, and no way I'm playing with *this* kind of distraction......:mischief:

I'll get back to it in 3-4 hours.

Gandhi
Kohlapur
We should be okay here.

It turns out we're not so good.

2 LBs showed up, and they will enter next turn unless :
- I attack this turn with wounded units from the galleons after one Treb has softened up the 2 LBs currently defending the city
- I unload the troops 1S of the wheat to block their access, promote to heal, and cross my fingers that the 2 LBS won't attack.

Other option is to let the LBs in the city, and wait for some more troops from Tourfan (one WE available now) or Beshbalik

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0064.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0064.JPG
    250.2 KB · Views: 133
Mmmh, one of the Trebs only has 25% of its health left, so it cannot attack right away (0.01% odds, 96% chance of leaving the LB unscarred...). It can still bombard though.
Attacking with the other CR Treb afterwards will severely injure one of the LBs but the collateral to the other may not be enough.

OTOH, if we wait, we can bring one more WE, and the 2 LBs won't benefit from the 25% fortification bonus.

This is hard ...

I'll leave this until the end of the turn so you (or others ...:mischief:) can think about it a little bit more.

Wait in the galleon or unload and wait?

Also, I just razed Wadan, so why is the number (3) of cities of Mansa shown in blue in the score rankings?
From my experience, it means that he has more than 3 cities.
Which would mean that we missed one (Timbuktu + Awdaghost + Agades + ?...)

Top Bottom