SGOTM 17 - Xteam

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to your BtS SGOTM 17 Team Thread. Please use it for all internal team communication, turn logs and discussions. Subscribe to it to receive notifications, and do not visit the other team threads for this game until you have finished. Please also subscribe to the
Maintenance Thread
for this game, where teams and staff may post non-spoiler information of general interest.

You can find the Game Details in the first post of the Maintenance Thread. If any changes occur in the game settings or rules, I shall post them in that thread, and edit that post.

Please wait until your team leader/administrator/scribe has reserved a couple of top posts in this thread for game admin information. Then post here to let your team know you have arrived.

Good luck, have fun ... and never trust a mapmaker :mischief:

Welcome back XTeam, special welcome to Gator as it has been a while.

Looks like this should be up our alley, "Kill 'em all!" :)

Off to send a PM.

It is good to be playing again. :goodjob:

This should be fun.

Welcome back XTeam, special welcome to Gator as it has been a while.

Looks like this should be up our alley, "Kill 'em all!" :)

Off to send a PM.

Good luck and have fun. Now I'm a subscriber.:)

Looks like a pretty tough start. I was contemplating settling on the bananas for the +1 food, but since we start with a worker and Agri, I don't think this makes sense. We may as well farm it for now.

I'm also thinking we may want to wander a bit before settling. The site we are at is hammer poor and researching Calendar will take a LONG time. The start location might make a better second city (GP farm). Looks like more trees to our west, might be worth a migration. East is a dead end.

Early calendar will be important. We need to get those bananas online pretty soon. However, looks like strategic resources will be a problem, no copper or ponies in sight. We may need to research iron first to find something to help us control barbs. The Landsknecht looks like a great unit although it won't be so good for attacking cities with longbows.

I'm guessing Astronomy will be required for conquest which means we will need to find some source of research. Should we consider GLH/Colossus or beeline Gr Lib if marble is nearby? Guess it depends what we find when we scout.

...I'm also thinking we may want to wander a bit before settling. The site we are at is hammer poor and researching Calendar will take a LONG time. The start location might make a better second city (GP farm). Looks like more trees to our west, might be worth a migration. East is a dead end...

Those black flat edge tiles to the east are sure indicating edge of the map. Plus it looks like jungle to the north of the worker. With the ability to move 3 units prior to moving the settler we should have a little better picture. There are still 2 fog tiles on the eastern edge of the map that might have a resource and the worker can uncover them. But there aren't many hammers showing as Hawk has indicated.

At Immortal speed how many turns are we willing to wander?

Let's decide where to move each of the three units and then discuss where to settle after they've been moved.

Can someone explain what it means that the early religion techs are unavailable?

Let's decide where to move each of the three units and then discuss where to settle after they've been moved.

Can someone explain what it means that the early religion techs are unavailable?

The early religion tech are not unavailable. They have just been removed from all civs and barbs to prevent them from being randomly distributed at turn five (or thereabouts). The implications of not having those techs at game start is probably what you mean and worthy of consideration.

Just booted up a game with a Classical start. We get all the first and second tier techs minus the religious techs (Fishing, The Wheel, Agriculture, Hunting, Mysticism, Mining, Sailing, Pottery, Animal Husbandry, Archery, Masonry, Priesthood, Bronze Working and Writing) Wonder if Priesthood was left in, so we could chop the Oracle for a free tech?

The units we have are Settler, Worker, Scout and Archer.

edit - Seems Oracle can only be built on Ancient starts. Will not be available in this scenario. :sad:

Checking in. Welcome Gator.

@hawk
Agree that this is going to be a tough start. At first i was glad that we wouldn't have to cope with the horrible starting techs of our leader but classical era start adds so many more choices.
I made a T0-Testgame so we can look at a couple things beforehand. Maybe we can already determine which is the best first build (settler first might be very viable, with imp and the ability to chop from the start), if moving is a good option. (think there is a case for SIP, only spot that looks interesting to me at first glance is 1S of archer, if we want to move) and first tech.

@CP
Just played a couple turns. The first Barb entered my borders at T50, but i saw axes/spears in the woods at T20. Not all Barbs are metal based though, there are still some warriors and archers roaming around. So keeping the scout alive will be a bit more difficult. Also Barb Galleys spawn very early too, so we have to keep that in mind if we settle cities with coastal seafood.

Alpha and mids went before T50 iirc. Obviously this isn't very representative but interesting nonetheless.

Testsave:

Attachments

• Quartermaster_Test T0.CivBeyondSwordSave
    28.1 KB · Views: 254
What's the nature of the barb threat, leif?

@CP
Just played a couple turns. The first Barb entered my borders at T50, but i saw axes/spears in the woods at T20. Not all Barbs are metal based though, there are still some warriors and archers roaming around. So keeping the scout alive will be a bit more difficult. Also Barb Galleys spawn very early too, so we have to keep that in mind if we settle cities with coastal seafood.

Alpha and mids went before T50 iirc. Obviously this isn't very representative but interesting nonetheless.
Yes, the Barbs were almost like a raging Barb game, lots of Spears and Axes, but also Archers and Warriors. There were times there were a stack of two or three Barbs at some of the cities, it was intense managing units to keep ahead of them.

Did not experience the Barb Galleys, even though I did have a water start.

Thinking we'll need to find some metals early on to keep ahead of the Barbs. :eek:

In Vanilla at 2000BC barbs start entering cities. Does that happen with this kind of start on BtS? If so, then wouldn't be surprised if we are isolated on a small island, as their early random action could have such a significant impact on the game that would be almost unstoppable, especially without a strategic resource.

It seems to me that they started entering the city radius after 10 or so turns, iirc. At first, it wasn't too bad but it soon grew to be a problem, when Spears and Axes began coming in number. :eek:

It seems to me that they started entering the city radius after 10 or so turns, iirc. At first, it wasn't too bad but it soon grew to be a problem, when Spears and Axes began coming in number. :eek:

That kind of situation requires some military units to be an early priority an archer or two in the first few builds.

Played around with Undecided's save last night. Barbs did not become a problem for 25 or so turns. Lost a Scout to a Lion and Barb Warriors were a problem trying to expand, but that mostly occurred after the first 25 turns.

Being on the map edge may help that out as Barbs can only come from three directions?
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom