SGOTM 18 - Xteam

The issue with bribing GK to declare on Evil is whether we will be able to get peace with Evil soon, and I don't have the experience with BtS to have a feel for that.

If you think it likely that we will be able to make peace with Evil soon after we declare on GK, then wait (so GK doesn't build more units), bribe GK, declare on GK, and make peace with Evil. Presumably any units Evil has heading toward us will be diverted to GK and we won't have to fight 2 civs.

If peace with Evil is problematic, then bribe GK now so Evil doesn't.

Gpoing out of town and out of touch through Sat.

I would be inclined to DOW on GK before Joao. It removes a psycho AI and means two less frontiers to defend (our northern cities and the railroad). After GK we can go after Joao and only worry about goldmember coming across the lake. If we go Joao first, we will need to be concerned about GK going psycho when he runs out of REX space.

As far as bribing GW to war with evil, I am not sure. I rarely bribe AIs to war, so I don't have much experience. Seems like it simply encourages GK to build units that will take a long time to clear our lands on their way to Evil.

I would be inclined to DOW on GK before Joao. It removes a psycho AI and means two less frontiers to defend (our northern cities and the railroad). After GK we can go after Joao and only worry about goldmember coming across the lake. If we go Joao first, we will need to be concerned about GK going psycho when he runs out of REX space.

I am inclined to agree with Hawk here. The only wild card in this is who Joao is currently lining up. If it's us we'll certainly have our hands full. If not, then who is it? Gandhi? Will Gandhi ask us to declare on Joao if so? If he does should we accept? (Are we thinking diplo victory, if so, the answers to these questions are important.)

As far as bribing GW to war with evil, I am not sure. I rarely bribe AIs to war, so I don't have much experience. Seems like it simply encourages GK to build units that will take a long time to clear our lands on their way to Evil.

I have poor experience in bribing AI's I'm usually disappointed in the cold war that ensues. On the other hand if it diverts Dr E's units to GK instead of us that may be a help. The point that was made (I think it was CP?) that it prevents Dr E from bribing GK to declare on US before we're ready is also worth considering. How many turns before we want to declare on GK? This is important in this since preventing GK from being bribed to attack us is only a help int that it stops GK from attacking us until we're ready to tangle with him.

I really am not sure how we can gauge what mode GK is in now. How do we know he's not already pumping out as many units as possible? Is there something that tells us this? How do we know that bribing him to attack Dr E would make him increase war production? Perhaps he's already building quite a few units?

Either way we should now be ready for all out war until GK and Joao are not worth considering. (And I still think Members Only looks like a nice city!)

Will try to get this moving this evening.

Thinking I will delay the bribe of GK as long as I can, perhaps the turn we declare.

Have a few more units to whip before the declaration of war. Also, some unit healing.

Just hope GK or Joao don't declare on us too soon.

Should Joao declare, think I would immediately bribe GK into war to keep him for back stabbing us?

edit - am a bit nervous about this set... :shifty:

Dinner time, decided to take a break and post.
Highlights - Evil had a trick up his sleeve and attacked Boston with a Horse Archer and a Chariot, no problem.
Looks like GK may be going to war with Joao on his own, check the stacks in the screenie and then in the save, attached for your review.

Turn log thus far:
Spoiler :
Turn 94 – 525BC
Move scouts forward and they see nothing in Joao’s area.
Worker4 heads for Pig City.
Axe from Pig City heads NW.
Wounded units in stack move into Boston’s bfc to heal.
Warrior in GK’s area recons north.
Whip Sword in NY for 2-pop.

IBT
Fish Axe => Spear.
NY Sword => Cat
Evil attacked our scout stack and killed our Chariot with one of his.
He now has a Chariot and a Horse Archer sitting 2-tiles west of Boston.

Turn 95 – 500 BC
One of Evil’s Scouts is sitting next to NY, so I attack it with a Sword for some experience points and kill it.
A Keshik has stopped by for a visit 3-tiles north of NY.
Scouting Warrior finds Tabriz up north.
Reinforce Boston with a Sword, send another Sword to the hill south of Boston to protect wounded.
Fenbot finds Delhi.
Retreat scouting Axe.
MM Fish City to grow next turn.
We still have the possibility to bribe GK into war.

IBT
GK comes demanding Alphabet, kindly tell him sorry, not today.
Washington Spear=> Cat.
Fish City Spear => Sword.
Evil’s troops climb the plains hill NW of Boston.

Turn 96 – 475 BC
Worker5 heads for the jungle tile.
Promote Spear in Boston to CBT1 in case Evil attacks.
Move units up, assemble force for the railway.
Whip Chariot in Boston for 1-pop.

IBT
Evil attacks Boston. His Chariot is killed by our Spear while his Horse Archer dies to our Sword.
Boston Chariot => Cat.

Turn 97 – 450 BC
Move units up.
Workers 1&4 chop.

IBT
We lose our Scouting Axe to an Evil Chariot.
Washington Cat => Cat.
Pig City Sword => Spear.

Turn 98 – 425BC
Whip Cat in NY for 2-pop.
Change build in Boston from Cat to Sword.

IBT
NY Cat => Spear.

Turn 99 – 400BC
Worker1 completes chop into NY.
Warrior scouting GK’s land sees an Axe and an Archer in Karakorum.
Worker5 starts chopping jungle.
Mansa Musa has 610 Gold so we beg him for 450 and he tells us we pressed him too hard. Oh well.
Evil still will not talk.

IBT
Pig City Spear => Cat.
NY Spear => Cat.

Turn 100 – 375 BC
Almost ready to start attack.
Move units into place.
Whip Sword in Boston.

IBT
The most cultured civ list pops up and Goldmember is in the lead for culture. :eek:
We’re 7th of course. The list goes Gldmember, Mansa, Gandhi, Dr. Evil, Joao, GK and us.
Washington Cat => Cat.
Fish Sword => Sword.
Bosotn Sword => Cat.
Joao declares war on Gandhi, thank God!

Turn 101 – 350 BC
Move units.
Interesting developments, looks like GK may be going after Joao?

IBT
Pig City Cat = Cat.

Save game and post.
Dinner time anyway, save and post for comments.

Attachments

• Xteam_SG018_BC0325_01.CivBeyondSwordSave
    152.5 KB · Views: 47
  • SG18_T102_GK_Situation.jpg
    SG18_T102_GK_Situation.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 119
Looks good to me Lief.

Does GK "have too much on his hands"? If not then surely he is not planning to attack Joao. You mentioned that a few turns ago it was still possible to bribe him. Has that changed in the last few turns?

What if Gandhi asks us for help against Joao? Do we agree and declare against Joao, or do we refuse? Our chances of diplo victory may be seriously affected by that...

GK does not say he has enough on his hands now.

But, we can no longer bribe him to war with anyone. All options are red. :)

GK does not say he has enough on his hands now.

But, we can no longer bribe him to war with anyone. All options are red. :)

Which generally means that either he doesn't like us enough to consider going to war at our request or we can't pay him enough. If he doesn't "have enough on his hands" then he's not "thinking" of attacking Joao.

He did demand Alphabet and I turned him down, so he is a bit angry with us.

Been thinking, I have played 8-turns and if the war is about to start, thinking I should turn it over to CP so he can prosecute the war from the start instead of turning it over in the middle?

CP just returned home, but still has a deadline to meet on the 15th, and there may be some follow-up for a few days afterwards (can't be sure about that). So, no playing or planning for me for at least three days.

How far are we along relative to other teams.

You should take the first city; the NE city, at the least. Just remember to keep a few Spears hear and there. He is going to favor keshicks and we should use this information to our advantage.

Also, use a collateral promoted cat first. The second should be a CR cat and then check to see if a sword can take the city before committing the other cats. No culture bombing for cities with walls or 20% bonus.

Hi CP,

Hope things went well for you. :thumbsup:

We are the third furthest team along. Two teams have completed about 120 turns, we are at 102, and the other teams are around turns 60 to 80, with one really far behind that.

The question is whether it is better for one person to play the war turns or whether we should switch off after 3 or so turns? Seems better to me to let one person take that set so nothing is lost in the transfer?

edit - crossed with Htadus.
Yes, been building some Spears because it seem he has gone into unit building and there are Keshiks around.

Top Bottom