Shadow Game for an Old Dude

@OldDude, you are playing too fast and making strategic decisions on a whim. I'm sure Lymond will tell you to go back to when you started to research IW, as it is a rather useless tech. :) You don't need swords, you don't need to chop jungle. That being said, you are in a good position to crush Noble AI. You just could be in a lot better position.

@OldDude, you are playing too fast and making strategic decisions on a whim. I'm sure Lymond will tell you to go back to when you started to research IW, as it is a rather useless tech. :) You don't need swords, you don't need to chop jungle. That being said, you are in a good position to crush Noble AI. You just could be in a lot better position.

OK, will do. Sorry.

I went back and just played it to where I got the copper hooked up. In the meantime I built a granary in the capital. I've been "shadow teching" since I'm not sure of the best road to take there. I built a mine 1N of my second city by accident (hit the wrong button) but that can be changed later if necessary, right?

Spoiler Current position :
Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG

Attachments

• Shadow 1 BC-2360.CivBeyondSwordSave
    112.7 KB · Views: 44
Yep, I was going to mention the speed of play as well. However, I also view all this as an exercise, so even though you had progressed in a suboptimal way earlier, at least we see the decisions you are making and can correct them. Also, by posting up saves you always have something to go back to to try again.

IW is indeed not a good thing to tech early or at all. On higher levels this fact becomes even more pronounced. It is something you can easily trade for. Which brings up a point I call AI priority techs. AIs tend to always emphasize teching on certain paths, with military type techs (techs providing military units or strat resources) being a priority. Techs like IW, Maths, Construction, Feud, Machinery, Engineering, etc. As you move up levels you really have to focus your tech paths in ways that are not only optimal for the human player and the map, but that also help setup trades. With that said, this is Noble, so with our help you should be teching at a much faster pace and sometimes will tech some things you may not on higher levels.

Mysticism tech not necessarily bad here as it gives you Charismatic monuments (+1:)), but both of your cities are far from needing one currently.

Poly is not something you need. It does nothing for you. Writing should generally always be your priority after the initial food tech and BW. I'm inclined on this level to probably tech AH before Writing. AH provides the bonus with POT on Writing. AH is not really an urgent need here but the pigs could be improved sooner than later, and seeing if Willie has horses would not be a bad idea since if he gets them online, chariots will pose a problem for Axes with their innate bonus against them.

So I would probably go something like AH>Writing>Maths for now. I notice you are running 90% research, so may have not seen both Sampsa and my discussion on the slider, or did not understand it. Again, either 0% or 100% for now. Queue up AH and run 0% for the # of turns needed to then finish it out..probably 2 or 3 turns at 0% to bank gold. Rinse repeat.

Builds:

Obviously time to start building Axes. Remove the warrior in Pers and start an axe which can take the chop from the worker, who I assume is chopping that tile. Parg did not need a Monument, but might as well finish it and start axes there. Worker down there can start chopping forests around Parg for axes.

Slavery:

Parg obviously is not in a position to whip, but has the strong copper tile to work so chops should net a few axes from there quickly. Pers has growth potential, but one issue is that two pop whips there are impossible with the powerful pigs tile. This leads to a bit of an explanation on whip mechanics.

Each whipped citizen is worth 30H. Ideally you whip 2 or more citizen to produce something - a settler, worker or unit. In fact, slavery is a great way of turn food into production as settlers/workers are built with both food and hammers. This is why we state that "FOOD = Production"

Unless an absolute emergency, one does not whip something immediately, that is, with no hammers in the item, as this incurs a penalty.

Axeman is a good example to explain. Axeman cost 35H. In order to two pop whip you cannot put more than 4 hammers into the Axe. (35-30 = 5 so 4H or less production to 2pop) At 5H into an Axe then it becomes a 1 pop whip. Now some 1 pops are not necessary a bad thing for a military unit. However, 2 popping an axe gives a lot of Overflow hammers which will often simply complete a new Axe in 1t.

(note: also, whipping multiple citizens at a time helps against the happiness penalty, as you incur only 1 :mad: (10t) citizen for the whip no matter the amount of citizens whipped)

Now the problem with Pers, well it really is not a problem, is that the city has 8 base hammer from tiles worked. So setting up 2poppers in Pers is impossible. But this is not a big deal here as you have plenty of forests to chop. So that is what you will do, but maybe 1pop whip one or two axemen that are near completion.

Parg can simply slow build axes straight-up and take chops. It is only size 1 anyway.

You should be able to get out a nice stack of 6 to 7 axeman quickly, which is what I think you need here to start the war...maybe followed by a couple more as Willie may get a new city. But Amsterdam is your first target.

I laid out a little plan for you in the screenshot for Pers worker actions - the letters denote the order of action:

Spoiler persopolis worker :

Note that at site B..the worker will chop and then road tile..a strategic road for axe movement from both cities.

Axes will congregate on the border where I marked for now...no reason to move them out of borders until you have a sufficient army. (It costs unit maintenance if you do)

So I would follow those steps until you have 6 to 8 axes and then stop and report.

edit: Note ..you might actually stop the moment Willie settles his first city. I recall when of you later plays that he settled somewhere SW of his cap. The placement of that city might change you attack path, but I don't recall the timing of his second city.

edit2: Hmm..more I think on it, I think 1N of the spot for axe congregation is better. So after chopping/road on tile B, I might chop the tile that original marked for axes to stand and road that too, then follow the rest of the plan. (the other chop spots are river/grass tiles ideal for cottages soon which is why I prioritize them first) The road on B and the other spot are for Axe movement but also give some progress later for road toward Dam.

Reason I like spot in NE corner of Pers borders, is that if Willie settles where I think he will it will change the attack route, but still is same distance if we do decide to attack Dam from the SW instead of NW. (in other words finding the fastest attack point to Dam at the corners)

edit3: Oh..meant to mention that Pers should take Silk tile from Parg and have one of the citizens working that 2F1H1C tiles instead of a 2F1H. This goes into the city micro concept. Always work best tiles, even if unimproved. No reason not to get that extra 1C.

If you don't know how to switch tiles between citizens, I'll explain. Both Pers and Parg share quite a few tiles, but Parg took the silk tile into its domain when you settled it. It's easy to change that. Go into Persopolis city screen and simply click on the silk tile. You will see it light up as a workable tile for the city. Now click again and one of the citizens will move there. (Tiles worked by citizens are marked with the white circles)

For advanced play, you will monitor your cities closely, and tiles worked, especially in the early game. All these little differences, like the extra 1C make a difference.

Last edited:
Since it's Noble and the AI has cities guarded by warriors the number of axemen you talk about is extreme overkill.
I did a try with 1 axeman (guarded by 1 warrior in the forest) and he just attacked/promoted every turn and took out the 3 Amsterdam garissoned warriors by himself.
Quite fun really! :)

Yeah, I'm just not used to playing Noble in a long time. Sometimes an AI will get Archery early even on Noble, but who knows what Sir Willie will do. A smaller stack will probably be fine, but I'd would go for at least 5.

(If Willie did happen to get Archery during your attack, you'd be hosed..maybe...he does not appear to even have BW yet)

Anyway, I think it at least better to plan out a more sufficient attack for OD considering a bit higher level requirement.

edit: OD...AH only requires 1t at 0% research.

edit2; Yikes...OD did not switch to slavery when first settler popped out...Well, no biggie..with chops there is plenty of production for Axes.

Last edited:
Not sure if you suggested that Lymo (long post ~~),
but i would whip another worker in Persepolis, with overflow + chop giving 2 Axes and they would be enuf imo.
There are some warriors as backup, if really needed on Amsterdam.

Much to do here, forests everywhere + cottages & road towards Amster for another worker :)

And yup, would do AH next..nice happy cap so pigs become valuable.

Unfortunately, OD forgot to switch to slavery this time. I think he did in a earlier iteration. He does have 2 workers now. Extra worker is good. I expect he may nab one from Willie too. He could simply be fine with the 2 workers for now. Pers has good OF this turn for first axe plus chop on the way.

In my play test from his last saves, I got up 5 axes very quick between the two cities. Sent them in and Willie popped an Archer the turn of attack. Can't remember if he had just slow built or whipped it ..he was not in slavery for some time. Ha...I ended up with lucky roll and killed that Archer on first hit. Anyway, like krikav one could probably just go in with 2 axes earlier and just face warriors. Ofc, you don't always know what the AI is going to do tech wise with Archery on this level, especially when creative leaders like Willie pop border so fast.

(Elite just posted to us that HA approach is a good early learning tool on for Noble players. I've always tended to focus more on early expansion/economy gameplay, but I see his logic. Basically just focusing primarily on one or two aspects, whipping and warfare, and add more good stuff later)

Last edited:
Yep, I was going to mention the speed of play as well. However, I also view all this as an exercise, so even though you had progressed in a suboptimal way earlier, at least we see the decisions you are making and can correct them.
Yes, sounds good. Regarding this and pretty much everything else you post about here I realize I need to "unlearn" bad habits that I have from playing this game for so long at the easier Warlord level.

IW is indeed not a good thing to tech early or at all. On higher levels this fact becomes even more pronounced. It is something you can easily trade for. Which brings up a point I call AI priority techs. AIs tend to always emphasize teching on certain paths, with military type techs (techs providing military units or strat resources) being a priority. Techs like IW, Maths, Construction, Feud, Machinery, Engineering, etc. As you move up levels you really have to focus your tech paths in ways that are not only optimal for the human player and the map, but that also help setup trades. With that said, this is Noble, so with our help you should be teching at a much faster pace and sometimes will tech some things you may not on higher levels.
LOL, crazy. I've always gone for IW as early as I could.

Mysticism tech not necessarily bad here as it gives you Charismatic monuments (+1:)), but both of your cities are far from needing one currently.
Another bad habit? I've always wanted to get border pops as soon as possible. It seems that isn't necessarily important? Situational?

Poly is not something you need. It does nothing for you. Writing should generally always be your priority after the initial food tech and BW. I'm inclined on this level to probably tech AH before Writing. AH provides the bonus with POT on Writing. AH is not really an urgent need here but the pigs could be improved sooner than later, and seeing if Willie has horses would not be a bad idea since if he gets them online, chariots will pose a problem for Axes with their innate bonus against them.
So you're saying that having AH and POT provides a bonus for Writing? How so? Does it reduce the research time? Also a good point on reconnaissance.

So I would probably go something like AH>Writing>Maths for now. I notice you are running 90% research, so may have not seen both Sampsa and my discussion on the slider, or did not understand it. Again, either 0% or 100% for now. Queue up AH and run 0% for the # of turns needed to then finish it out..probably 2 or 3 turns at 0% to bank gold. Rinse repeat.
I did see the posts on the research slider and to be honest I simply forgot to change it. This is another bad habit I have; playing through the turns too fast without thinking about things very much.

Builds:

Obviously time to start building Axes. Remove the warrior in Pers and start an axe which can take the chop from the worker, who I assume is chopping that tile. Parg did not need a Monument, but might as well finish it and start axes there. Worker down there can start chopping forests around Parg for axes.
Got it.

Slavery:

Parg obviously is not in a position to whip, but has the strong copper tile to work so chops should net a few axes from there quickly. Pers has growth potential, but one issue is that two pop whips there are impossible with the powerful pigs tile. This leads to a bit of an explanation on whip mechanics.

Each whipped citizen is worth 30H. Ideally you whip 2 or more citizen to produce something - a settler, worker or unit. In fact, slavery is a great way of turn food into production as settlers/workers are built with both food and hammers. This is why we state that "FOOD = Production"

Unless an absolute emergency, one does not whip something immediately, that is, with no hammers in the item, as this incurs a penalty.

Axeman is a good example to explain. Axeman cost 35H. In order to two pop whip you cannot put more than 4 hammers into the Axe. (35-30 = 5 so 4H or less production to 2pop) At 5H into an Axe then it becomes a 1 pop whip. Now some 1 pops are not necessary a bad thing for a military unit. However, 2 popping an axe gives a lot of Overflow hammers which will often simply complete a new Axe in 1t.

(note: also, whipping multiple citizens at a time helps against the happiness penalty, as you incur only 1 :mad: (10t) citizen for the whip no matter the amount of citizens whipped)

Now the problem with Pers, well it really is not a problem, is that the city has 8 base hammer from tiles worked. So setting up 2poppers in Pers is impossible. But this is not a big deal here as you have plenty of forests to chop. So that is what you will do, but maybe 1pop whip one or two axemen that are near completion.

Parg can simply slow build axes straight-up and take chops. It is only size 1 anyway.

You should be able to get out a nice stack of 6 to 7 axeman quickly, which is what I think you need here to start the war...maybe followed by a couple more as Willie may get a new city. But Amsterdam is your first target.

I laid out a little plan for you in the screenshot for Pers worker actions - the letters denote the order of action:
Great, thanks.

Spoiler persopolis worker :

Note that at site B..the worker will chop and then road tile..a strategic road for axe movement from both cities.

Axes will congregate on the border where I marked for now...no reason to move them out of borders until you have a sufficient army. (It costs unit maintenance if you do)
OK.

So I would follow those steps until you have 6 to 8 axes and then stop and report.

edit: Note ..you might actually stop the moment Willie settles his first city. I recall when of you later plays that he settled somewhere SW of his cap. The placement of that city might change you attack path, but I don't recall the timing of his second city.

edit2: Hmm..more I think on it, I think 1N of the spot for axe congregation is better. So after chopping/road on tile B, I might chop the tile that original marked for axes to stand and road that too, then follow the rest of the plan. (the other chop spots are river/grass tiles ideal for cottages soon which is why I prioritize them first) The road on B and the other spot are for Axe movement but also give some progress later for road toward Dam.

Reason I like spot in NE corner of Pers borders, is that if Willie settles where I think he will it will change the attack route, but still is same distance if we do decide to attack Dam from the SW instead of NW. (in other words finding the fastest attack point to Dam at the corners)
Got it.

edit3: Oh..meant to mention that Pers should take Silk tile from Parg and have one of the citizens working that 2F1H1C tiles instead of a 2F1C. This goes into the city micro concept. Always work best tiles, even if unimproved. No reason not to get that extra 1C.

If you don't know how to switch tiles between citizens, I'll explain. Both Pers and Parg share quite a few tiles, but Parg took the silk tile into its domain when you settled it. It's easy to change that. Go into Persopolis city screen and simply click on the silk tile. You will see it light up as a workable tile for the city. Now click again and one of the citizens will move there. (Tiles worked by citizens are marked with the white circles)

For advanced play, you will monitor you cities closely, and tiles worked, especially in the early game. All these little differences, like the extra 1C make a difference.
I did know how to switch tiles, so I got that going for me, LOL.

Overall there is so many little things to know and think about every turn. I need to unlearn some bad habits. Thanks very much again for taking all of this time. I won't be able to get back to it until tonight at the soonest but I'll post back once I get to that point you mentioned.

Not sure if you suggested that Lymo (long post ~~),
but i would whip another worker in Persepolis, with overflow + chop giving 2 Axes and they would be enuf imo.
There are some warriors as backup, if really needed on Amsterdam.

Much to do here, forests everywhere + cottages & road towards Amster for another worker :)

And yup, would do AH next..nice happy cap so pigs become valuable.
Knowing what you get from a chop and how much units cost is important I can see, however I never bothered to pay much attention to it before. I see some study time in my future.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, OD forgot to switch to slavery this time. I think he did in a earlier iteration. He does have 2 workers now. Extra worker is good. I expect he may nab one from Willie too. He could simply be fine with the 2 workers for now. Pers has good OF this turn for first axe plus chop on the way.

In my play test from his last saves, I got up 5 axes very quick between the two cities. Sent them in and Willie popped an Archer the turn of attack. Can't remember if he had just slow built or whipped it ..he was not in slavery for some time. Ha...I ended up with lucky roll and killed that Archer on first hit. Anyway, like krikav one could probably just go in with 2 axes earlier and just face warriors. Ofc, you don't always know what the AI is going to do tech wise with Archery on this level, especially when creative leaders like Willie pop border so fast.

(Elite just posted to us that HA approach is a good early learning tool on for Noble players. I've always tended to focus more on early expansion/economy gameplay, but I see his logic. Basically just focusing primarily on one or two aspects, whipping and warfare, and add more good stuff later)
I wasn't sure when I was supposed to revolt to slavery. I did at one point and you suggested I roll the game back which I did but never went to slavery after that. I know it costs one turn of anarchy so what's the general rule of thumb for timing that?

Thanks.

I wasn't sure when I was supposed to revolt to slavery. I did at one point and you suggested I roll the game back which I did but never went to slavery after that. I know it costs one turn of anarchy so what's the general rule of thumb for timing that?

Thanks.

Usually as you’re moving your first settler to its spot. Helps save some yields and wastes the least time.

I wasn't sure when I was supposed to revolt to slavery. I did at one point and you suggested I roll the game back which I did but never went to slavery after that. I know it costs one turn of anarchy so what's the general rule of thumb for timing that?.
Since revolting causes your empire to stop producing :food::hammers::commerce: but you are still able to move your units, it makes most sense to revolt right after you have built a settler.

Concerning other things, I think it makes sense to write down a some sort of check list of what you should be doing every turn. For me, it's sometimes a chaotic process, but often it's something like this:
  1. look at trade screen <F4> to check for tech trades and resource trades (at the start of the game there is never nothing to do). Getting new techs at the start of the turn makes sense as they can open new possibilities.
  2. revolt to new civics <F3>, start a golden age etc anything major that affects your empire
  3. cycle through cities, choose builds, plan chops, whip, choose which tiles to work
  4. move units, including workers
  5. check that you haven't forgotten anything
3 and 4 are somewhat overlapping and often take most time.

Since revolting causes your empire to stop producing :food::hammers::commerce: but you are still able to move your units, it makes most sense to revolt right after you have built a settler.

Concerning other things, I think it makes sense to write down a some sort of check list of what you should be doing every turn. For me, it's sometimes a chaotic process, but often it's something like this:
  1. look at trade screen <F4> to check for tech trades and resource trades (at the start of the game there is never nothing to do). Getting new techs at the start of the turn makes sense as they can open new possibilities.
  2. revolt to new civics <F3>, start a golden age etc anything major that affects your empire
  3. cycle through cities, choose builds, plan chops, whip, choose which tiles to work
  4. move units, including workers
  5. check that you haven't forgotten anything
3 and 4 are somewhat overlapping and often take most time.
The checklist is great and something I will do until I get into the habit every time. One question regarding trades. There are a lot of times when the AI will propose a trade that is unfair to the human player. Usually if I see that AI is close to me in the standings I won't make that trade. Should I make these trades, or is it situational? Also, should I only trade for techs I need?

Thanks!

Another bad habit? I've always wanted to get border pops as soon as possible. It seems that isn't necessarily important? Situational?

Really what it boils down to is asking yourself what the border pop does for you in short term. As we've been in the process of teaching you so far, making better settling decisions can eliminate the need for early border pops. In the case of Parg, a border pop gains nothing for you. You've already settled it in an optimal way to take advantage of the surrounding bonuses, and that copper itself goes a long way. So the monument at this point is 30H that could have gone to something else.

Conversely, cities like the 2 fish cities will need border pop so I would generally prioritize a Monument in those cities, unless those cities had something optimal they can work on land, like sharing tiles with another city. You simply get a feel for this. I've had many cases where I avoid Myst for a very long time (but usually with Char leaders I do want to take advantage of that extra happy earlier than later)

So you're saying that having AH and POT provides a bonus for Writing? How so? Does it reduce the research time?

I recommend viewing your tech screen - the beaker button at the top right that shows the overall tech tree. Any predecessor tech that link directly to a higher level tech gives a bonus to that tech. So, for instance, TW+Fish+AG all lead to Pot. TW is required, so one of AG or Fish is needed to actually tech POT. Having both Fish and AG gives a bonus, not that you always need to do this though. AH and POT both lead to WRiting - you just need one or the other, but having both gives a bonus. Again, you may not really need AH or POT before writing - really depends on the map and your needs.

I've always gone for IW as early as I could.

Very very common mistake by new/less experience players. Thing to think about is the cost of that tech so early...and on higher levels it is a really hard detour. However, there are some times where you might be forced to tech it yourself, but really no need to go there at this point.

I wasn't sure when I was supposed to revolt to slavery

As folks noted, a good time is when moving that first settler, so at least that new city will not experience anarchy. And usually you will have BW by this point. However, I will note that there are times you indeed switch to slavery pretty much as soon as BW arrives. I do this often when I have high food in the start position so I can leverage slavery to whip the first settler (usually 4>2 whip - think 2popper) and use the overflow hammers into a new worker, or settler. So again, like many things, it can be map dependent and even trait dependent. In this case, you have an IMP leader (Cyrus) with huge hammer bonus on settlers, so you could leverage 2 power tiles and those chops for a quick first settler...then switch to slavery.

And, as you can see now I hope, just how powerful that chopping can be. You don't need to waste worker turns on 20 improvements and useless roading, while choppage is going to speed up your empire.

Yep, the checklist idea Sampsa pointed out can be very strong for you now if you have the patience to do it. Ha..you should see us when we play the Succession Games. Crazy planning:crazyeye: (you can see it by checking out old thread over in the SGOTM forum..a new SGOTM is pending)

Tech Trading is very important and making good decisions on when and what to trade. I think it better to go over that later as not to overwhelm you, and we are a bit ways from Alpha at this stage. There are a lot of tips we can give you on the concept, but it also something that takes time to really get a feel for...well...like some other things in this game like whipping/overflow and diplomacy.

Last edited:
The checklist is great and something I will do until I get into the habit every time. One question regarding trades. There are a lot of times when the AI will propose a trade that is unfair to the human player. Usually if I see that AI is close to me in the standings I won't make that trade. Should I make these trades, or is it situational? Also, should I only trade for techs I need?

Thanks!
AI will always give you 70% :science:-value for your techs. This doesn't mean that the trade is bad for you - it's "free" tech for you anyway. I don't think you need to be very concerned about giving AI something, unless it's a key military tech. But in general, you should be trading a lot. There is no diplo penalty for not accepting their offers, so you can always decline when they pop up and return to the trade screen later. Selling techs for gold is especially good.

OK, I've followed the plan and right now I have 7 axes with 2 more in the queue. Willie just founded his 2nd city as you can see. So I'm ready to attack I think. My thought is I should still go for his capital first since he'll have a hard time producing any new units in that brand new city, no?

NOTE: As you can see, I forgot to change the slider back to 100% when I should have so that delayed AH. At least I can run at 100% for awhile.

I'm stopping here for further advice.

Thanks!
Spoiler Ready to attack :
Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG

Attachments

• Shadow 1 BC-1800.CivBeyondSwordSave
    122.2 KB · Views: 23
Ok .a few things to point out

1) yeah..the whole 178 gold in the bank is really bad. (keep in mind that we fully expect you to make mistakes..there is no wrong here...only positive criticism). You only need 1t of 0% to then complete AH fully at 100%. That is like, I estimate, 12 turns you did not raise slider back. You would not only have finished AH, but also Writing and some other things. Overall, we fully expect it to take a while for all this to sink in and to get a feel for things - we've all been in your position - but it is pretty important while learning to adhere to much of the plan as you can..there is a reason for it all. Most of these basic things will eventually become second nature the more you play.

It's really about checking the boxes each turn. Honestly, the level of micro is ultimately up to you, but how most of us approach training, like Sampsa, is a systematic approach. Otherwise, newer players tend to play aggressively without thinking much about the little things. However, Civ IV at is core is a complex strategy game, and these "little things" are actually hugely impactful early.

2) Deer could have been ignored right now. I know that I and others have emphasized food so much, but the deal here is that Parg was settled with a power tile (copper) that can be leveraged over a marginal food tile like deer. Very different case if Parg also had a stronger food tile present. Parg worker should have focused immediately on chop for that city to get out a couple of axes there.

3) That tile 1E of wheat was meant to be chopped and roaded ..otherwise I would not have moved there in the first place. I think I recommended that cause I changed the positioning of the Axe stack. But really now that I think on it, I was wrong in the first place, both with positioning of the stack and the need for road. But the chop was imperative regardless as chopping in general is THE priority from the start of the previous turnset. Hope that was not too confusing. But my recommendation would be to chop according to my first plan and ignore the tile 1E of wheat. That was my bad..the road otherwise does nothing for the advancement of units E.

4) Also, note that as the Pers got its second border pop you can advance the stack further E. Again, the idea was keeping units in borders so not as to incur additional cost. (I just don't remember when it popped ..not a big deal)

(lastly, on that note, I've been very conservative with the units, as others alluded to, as I play on much higher level, so my perspective is skewed).

So, if you don't mind, my recommendation is to start back from the last save again. Follow the original chop plan, ignoring my diversion on that tile 1E of wheat. Parg worker chops immediately for that city. Get at least 5 axes stack on far E border and then move in toward Dam..attacking from that forest tile 1N of that warrior near his border as it provides the most direct route to his city (2t approach).

You might 1 pop an Axe from Pers as well in that process. Make sure it at least has some hammers in it, the more the better (start noticing the production bar in the city screen...see how the hammers work with chops, base hammers, and overflow)

Send stack of 5 as mentioned, and maybe have 1 axe from parg and pers following that, then those cities can move to other things like another settler from Pers for fur city. Parg can grow on granary.

Stop when DAm falls.

And lastly, make mental checks each turn. Check that slider and gold. Check cities and tiles worked. In other words, make your moves, but before ending turn take a minute to make sure all ducks are in order before proceeding.

edit: and pull that scout back a bit..he is too far away

By the way, on another note, playing in window mode may be useful to you. Window mode will allow you to simply tab out or just simply click your browser on the task bar to go back to the forum to read discussions and plan. Otherwise, I know once you open the game in full screen as normal, that info is lost to you for the duration. Window mode won't crash or anything when outside the game.

To do this, you must find your Config file. A shortcut to it exist in the BTS root folder as "_Civ4Config", or you can navigate to it in My games/blah blah/BTS. It is a text file that should open automatically in Notepad.

Just make the change below in bold and save:

ctl-f will allow you to search on "fullscreen" to go right to the line

; Copy ever other scanline during movie playback (faster)
BinkInterlace = 0
; Specify whether to play in fullscreen mode 0/1/ask
FullScreen = ask
; Set max frame rate clamp (0 means none)
SetMaxFrameRate = 0
; Set to 1 to put PitBoss to sleep when no players are connected
PitBossSleep = 1
; Set to 1 to page units out when non-visible

When you run BTS again, you will see a prompt asking to run in Full Screen. Just click no. Game will open in Window mode. I usually click the Max/Min button at the very top right (the box thing). It adjust the game screen to desktop,so that you can see the task bar.

Thanks lymond for all of the great info.

I rolled the game back to the last save as suggested and followed the original game plan. So now I have 7 axes in my stack with 2 more on the way. I finished AH and I'm one turn away from Writing. Started a settler build in capital. The worker in cap city will be chopping that forest.

As you can see, Willie is going north this time for his second city, most likely to grab that copper. I think I need to take him out before he gets that hooked up.

By the way, do you turn off workers working tiles automatically? Is that possible? I noticed the tiles they work changes based on what is getting built.

I'll hold for now.
Spoiler Ready to attack (I think) :
Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG

Attachments

• Shadow 1 BC-1840.CivBeyondSwordSave
    120.9 KB · Views: 38
Top Bottom