1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Single Player bugs and crashes v36 plus (SVN) - After the 24th of October 2015

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Dancing Hoskuld, Oct 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I highly suspect this to be the case. Which is very odd. I'm wandering into territory where I figured I could rely on some basic assumptions I just can't rely on it seems. One thing I wonder, since I can't look into it now... do those invisible units showing flags eventually lose the flag? Is it just something that comes in when the unit is spawned perhaps and then vanishes later?
    This is part of the point of the graphic modification. On Size Matters, units should now be showing as many models as they have group volume ranks (when fully healed at least.) This means that you can now see at a glance that captives - military are a volume rank 4 unit (Squad I believe).

2. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Should they not have a size that matches more what was captured?

3. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Yes, but then that's asking for a big can of worms to be opened as to what they can and cannot do in terms of joining the city and their impact when they do and so on. If you're onboard with size matters fully then it's something we should talk about. At the moment they are a generic 'representative size'. They don't have any strength so it matters mostly for the transportation volume considerations.

4. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

Well, this invis stuff did not happen before the last SVN update . . so i really dont think it has to do with something like the previous person said about what i wrote, especially on ALL animals, cant see any of them . .

5. Usul13

Usul13 Warlord

The flag is visible through multiple turns. I only played 23 turns today. I saw the flag of the Jaguar for about 15 of them. It killed 4 of my Stone Throwers during this time.

It doesn't affect all animals. I can see Camels, Badgers, Lizards, some birds for example.

6. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Well that's pretty much proof that flags are showing when the unit is invisible. hmm...

7. strategyonly

thats ok, i just UNclicked hide and seek . . . .

8. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

And that made all animals show up right? Without this bug I'll bet you had no idea how much you weren't able to see - lol.

It'd still be a bug on non-H&S but there's far fewer invisible units otherwise.

I'll probably be able to fix it later today. Just gotta figure out what is making the flag visible when the unit isn't.

9. strategyonly

Ok, after i UNclicked H&S i have a repeatable CTD, and yes they showed up . . mini and saved in ZIP

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  10. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I'll check that but you know you cannot safely just switch game options right?

Also, try to understand that it's not a bug that you couldn't see the units. They really are that hard to spot, giving you cause to want to have some units promoted with increased visibility promotions. The problem was that the flags were giving away their positions. I'll have that fixed later.

11. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Solved but I don't have time to commit it tonight. Be looking for the fix tomorrow. This one has been incredibly elusive and I've found out why as well.

The variable that contains the unused amount of leftover production after the last build was not being saved and loaded, nor initialized properly. I'm actually surprised that this wasn't a bigger problem for most games. I think that the initialization of the variable would usually happen normally in the course of a round before it would ever be called for a definition, but multi-threading processes made it possible to avoid a step that calculated it rather than allowed it to ever be called while undefined - that was what happened here and it was coming up with a random and overloaded value. Again, this could have been a lot more common than it may have seemed but since it was random it was often negative and thus self-correcting as it would be ignored if the value was negative - leading to a later definition taking place on that variable.

Crazy stuff! This was a major haunt for us in the v37 development cycle so to fix it right before release like this is truly a godsend. Thanks for the report and I'm glad you didn't find it cleared itself because it had a lot of potential to accidentally do so with each load attempt.

Yep, the units you weren't supposed to be seeing were getting marked with a flag because of a missing step in updating at the appropriate juncture. Which was a part of the problem initially but I didn't realize there was more than one missing step at the point the update needs made. I've gotta confirm this but it seemed pretty obvious when I looked again. Should have the fix committed tomorrow, hopefully in the morning, early afternoon.

You were right.

Same as the above posted bug by SO. Get my next SVN revision soon as I can commit it.

I haven't tried to fix this but I AM curious as to what kinds of crashes are summoned up with such an option shift and if I can fix it in this case. So tomorrow evening I'll take a look at this one unless something more severe comes up in the meantime.

12. strategyonly

Ok this didnt matter, this is a REPEATABLE crash, reloaded it and is a repeat . . .miniand save in ZIP . .

EDIT: Went back to an older dll and it didnt CTD, maybe compare the difference??

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  13. glaucus.b

glaucus.b Chieftain

After the last SVN 9390 update, I started a new game and now I can see in some tiles there are animals but I cannot see what they are or what would be the odds if I fight with them. Is it something new?

14. dilophosaur

dilophosaur Prince

I think these tiles are not animals, but places of animal spawn. I also had bug like yours.

15. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I'll jump on that tonight.
    It's a current bug I'm working on.
    They are where animals are but you can't see them. The problem is the flag showing.

16. dilophosaur

dilophosaur Prince

Thanks. Maybe the next SVN will remove those flags (barbarian and neanderthal ones sometimes show up too without any units.

17. colonelflag

colonelflag Chieftain

World_WIP- Archipelago issue on Giant map. SVN 9390. It hangs indefinitely in the "Initialising" stage. Waited 10 mins and had to kill it.

18. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

What map size, water level and other options did you select?

Edit: Could you by any chance upload the python debug log for me right after performing a map generation. by that I mean don't start the game again after force exiting when the map generation hangs. The log gets overwritten the moment you relaunch the game.

19. SteelSterling

SteelSterling Prince

Using SVN 9390 and wanted to start a new game. I used my Steam C2C shortcut and nothing happened, no error message. Deleted everything in my cache folder and got an error message; "Tag: BONUS_AKSUMITE in Info class was incorrect Current XML file is: modules\My_Mods\New_Cultures\XML\Heroes_Civ4UnitInfos.xml"
    Then got another pop up;
    Assert Failed

File: CvGlobals.cpp
    Line: 5481
    SVN-Rev: 9389
    Expression: stricmp(szType, "NONE")==0 || strcmp(szType, "")==0
    Message: info type 'ART_DEF_UNIT_CHILEAN_CORVETTE' not found, Current XML file is: modules\My_Mods\New_Cultures\XML\Heroes_CIV4UnitInfos.xml

And went back to desktop

20. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Still struggling with that flag bug but I've finally figured out that it's because I had assumed it was due to the change in the # of models being shown but I've eliminated that from suspicion entirely and now have a whole new theory as to what's causing that problem so I think I'll have this fixed by the end of the day. Crashes reported may be due to the same issue but once I've resolved the obvious problems, I'll get right on those.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.