1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Single Player bugs and crashes v36 plus (SVN) - After the 24th of October 2015

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Dancing Hoskuld, Oct 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

I think it's fixed in latest SVN.
    I couldn't reproduce the hang, but I noticed that it in some instances it could take about 20 minutes to create an archipelago map.
    I suspect it didn't really hang for you, that it was just doing some wonky math, and eventually would have completed after 15-30 minutes.

2. tmv

tmv Emperor

3. colonelflag

colonelflag Warlord

Great thanks for the quick response Toffer90- appreciate it, ill give it another try when i can.

Cheers
    Colonelflag

4. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

I tried it on Huge and it took about 2 minutes . .

5. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Great.

You could turn off the Pangea breaker and reduce resource amounts to speed up map generation further.

The Pangea breaker can use typically 15-30 seconds but can sometimes only use 2 seconds or even take longer than 60 seconds.
    Maps might actually look good without the pangea breaker, but there will typically be less of a clear divide between old world an new world areas or continents in general.
    Resource placement can take 1-3 minutes on a gigantic map but only like 3 seconds on a duel map; the time consumed increases exponentially with map size increases.

6. strategyonly

@TB, i know u mentioned about the graphics before in SM, but i just looked at my other SM games, and there is still only at the most 2 units in a stack showing up, now there are multiple units showing up and is confusing?? just IMPO

Attached Files:

7. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Units have to pass an update checkpoint in the code to be updated to the new 'rule'. I didn't want to put this checkpoint in too many places because it would only have the potential to slow processing down to do so. So on existing games it can take a little while for existing units in the game to get updated to the new 'rule'. Thus games that started with this or have been running long enough to adapt to it will be saved with the appropriate unit display counts but older saves won't show it accurately for a while.

To reiterate the rule: IF a unit is at full health (and we're playing on Size Matters) then the unit will display its volume rank as the number of unit models (if multiple models option is selected in the graphic options). If it has taken damage, that damage reduces the displayed number of units as it normally did.

So it's not 100% reliable to look at just the unit counts of a displayed opponent unit. If it's injured the count is 'off'. But it can be a helpful way of getting a better feel for the threat level of an opponent before you even look at the strength. And it can be very helpful for you as a player to have a means of quick checking the group volume level of your units. This can be a huge help when you are bringing units together for merges to know how many merge steps they've taken previously etc...

8. strategyonly

OH, ok, i (hope) i understand now, thx for the "great" explanation . . .

9. colonelflag

colonelflag Warlord

OK great I just tested it on Gigantic ,Archipelago, Low Sea level with Pangea break on and it took about 5 mins. All good.

10. Noriad2

Noriad2 Emperor

SVN9395 hammer filter does not correctly filter out rock gatherer or stone tools. See screenshot. I did save/reload before shooting this screenshot to make sure no other filters were on.

Attached Files:

11. Noriad2

Noriad2 Emperor

SVN 9395 Sudden crash-to-desktop, no error notification. Minidump attached

Attached Files:

12. Noriad2

Noriad2 Emperor

another SVN 9395 Sudden crash-to-desktop, no error notification. Minidump attached

Attached Files:

13. Noriad2

Noriad2 Emperor

reloaded the autosave, then a few turns later, another CTD. Minidump attached.

I also found a file called ThemeParseLog.txt in the same directory, made at the same time. Its contents:
    -------
    [Dec 18, 2016 - 19:42:49] Messages while processing 'Resource/Civ4.thm'

Error : Decl - ('Civ4Theme_Common.thm', Ln:401, Col:13) Assignment source propertyId 'SF_CtrlTheme_Civ4_Control_Font_Size3_Italic' not found
    Error : Decl - ('Civ4Theme_Common.thm', Ln:402, Col:13) Assignment source propertyId 'SF_CtrlTheme_Civ4_Control_Font_Size3_BoldItalic' not found
    Error : Decl - ('Civ4Theme_Common.thm', Ln:408, Col:13) Assignment source propertyId 'SF_CtrlTheme_Civ4_Control_Font_Size1_Bold' not found
    Error : Decl - ('Civ4Theme_Window.thm', Ln:3048, Col:9) Assignment source propertyId 'SF_CtrlTheme_Civ4_Control_Font_Size1_Bold' not found
    Error : Syntax - ('Civ4Theme_HUD.thm', Ln:887, Col:13) Unexpected '.' in the identifier assignment statement
    Error : Syntax - ('Civ4Theme_HUD.thm', Ln:927, Col:13) Unexpected '.' in the identifier assignment statement

Attached Files:

14. dilophosaur

dilophosaur Prince

CTD :(. Minidump attached.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ao4ddmbzbyvde11/MiniDump_9395.dmp?dl=0

Autosave reloaded, after a few turns another CTD (which makes the game unplayable at all).
    Minidump file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wsin70sbyaiqtxm/MiniDump_9395.dmp?dl=0

ThemeParseLog file says:

"
    [Dec 18, 2016 - 20:09:11] Messages while processing 'Resource/Civ4.thm'

Error : Decl - ('Civ4Theme_Common.thm', Ln:401, Col:13) Assignment source propertyId 'SF_CtrlTheme_Civ4_Control_Font_Size3_Italic' not found
    Error : Decl - ('Civ4Theme_Common.thm', Ln:402, Col:13) Assignment source propertyId 'SF_CtrlTheme_Civ4_Control_Font_Size3_BoldItalic' not found
    Error : Decl - ('Civ4Theme_Common.thm', Ln:408, Col:13) Assignment source propertyId 'SF_CtrlTheme_Civ4_Control_Font_Size1_Bold' not found
    Error : Decl - ('Civ4Theme_Window.thm', Ln:3048, Col:9) Assignment source propertyId 'SF_CtrlTheme_Civ4_Control_Font_Size1_Bold' not found
    Error : Syntax - ('Civ4Theme_HUD.thm', Ln:887, Col:13) Unexpected '.' in the identifier assignment statement
    Error : Syntax - ('Civ4Theme_HUD.thm', Ln:927, Col:13) Unexpected '.' in the identifier assignment statement"

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  15. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Ok, so this is interesting. I've been testing this for weeks without any problems, but it seems you've both found a way to re-discover the graphic problem with unit combat animations. Can I have both of you upload your saves so I can get in and evaluate to see what differences and similarities there may be? I also need to see what graphics and game options you are using under the main civ option panels.

I did find one sorta funny thing taking place and MAY have a fix already. The problem is I can't verify it because we're not working with a repeatable case.
    If you want to continue playing now, I suspect you could simply turn on quick combat offense and quick combat defense and you'll avoid the crashes.

Neither of you are far enough into the game to be working with ANY air units yet right?

16. dilophosaur

dilophosaur Prince

17. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Thanks! Try playing with Quick Combat (Offense) and Quick Combat (Defense) on for a while and see if it clears up the problem. This may be a bug that some graphics cards are handling while others are not. I've not been having any trouble with keeping those options off. Could also be a specific unit but the mini isn't helping me identify what units were sent into combat so that's adding difficulty here. Not being repeatable, and with the crash actually taking place inside the EXE, though probably as a result of some variable not being setup somewhere, I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to catch and correct this thing. It's possible it has to do with the EXE not expecting a variable HP mod. It's possible that the setup for the combat animation is flawed due to changes elsewhere. It's so many possibilities and so few clues to guide. If some systems can handle combat graphics while others can't then it's wrong to just disable them as they have been for some time during this version cycle. May just have to tell folks that if they are getting these crashes then they must turn the Quick Combat options on.

Then again there's also the possibility that we're dealing with some kind of missing information somewhere too...
    This:
    Would probably mean a lot more to someone who knew anything about the theme files. Might be telling us very specifically what this bug is all about but since it's being processed in the exe, I'm totally confused about this.

EDIT: Thanks for providing the save. It'll give me some things to consider, particularly when I can get the other for comparison.

dilophosaur likes this.
  18. dilophosaur

dilophosaur Prince

You are very welcome. Thanks for help, Quick combat helped a lot, now the game is playable.

19. Noriad2

Noriad2 Emperor

Hi Thunderbrd, Gamesettings below. No air units because I'm still in prehistoric. The CTD is not really reproducible because after it happens, and I reload a save I can play more turns than the autosave frequency. However after a few CTD's they stopped happening and I was able to play on (so far). Currently I'm boxed in by barbarian and Neanderthal cities, but when the CTDs happened I was still hunting a lot, so if it was indeed a combat graphics error and I would have to make a wild guess it would be animal combat. All CTDs happened during the AI's turn. So I think I'm going to let my screen recording software run while playing, if a CTD happens again, perhaps the very last millisecond before the CTD gives a clue on what units are involved.

P.S. if you google the errors in the ThemeParseLog it seems to be a many years old crash problem with civ 4. But nobody knows what triggers it or how to fix it.

Gamesettings.jpg

20. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Fascinating. Sounds like a straight up bug in the exe that may be entirely unrelated to anything we're doing with the mod. Maybe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.