Single Player bugs and crashes v42 plus (SVN) - After April 2022

I've had similar issues to the above, I was able to fix the crashes (at least, so far) by setting XP SP3 compatibility mode on the executable, but the icons disappearing still happens. The workaround to get the icons back was to turn them off, then reload a save and turn them back on (whereas if I reload a save without turning them off first, they wouldn't be visible and the button would do nothing). Both of these were issues that showed up since updating from 42.1.BETA.7097 to 42.1.BETA.7148 (the latest SVN a couple of days ago, when I started my current game).

I'm also having an issue with unit building/upgrading in this game. As far as I can tell I meet all the requirements for spearman, axeman, and maceman units, but I can't upgrade to them or build them. I have the required technology, and I'm importing iron wares from Rome (my one copper resource turned out to be just outside the radius of all of my cities, and I haven't got to Iron Working yet), but the build menu acts as if I don't have the resource. Is this because I don't have Iron Working yet? I thought the deal with the ore -> ingots -> wares production chain was that the wares represent finished goods, weapons, etc (weapons are even mentioned in their description), so it seems like importing them should be good enough even if I can't make my own yet.

SVN:11504 - At the beginning of every turn, the only population in my only city is assigned as citizen. I want to keep it producing food from the tile.

Attachments

• admin BC-150345.zip
    989.7 KB · Views: 5
another (2nd) repeatable CTD after clicking on next turn . different game. . . cant play any more games because of these containt crashes .. .

Attachments

• Undead2.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
SVN:11504 - At the beginning of every turn, the only population in my only city is assigned as citizen. I want to keep it producing food from the tile.
Interestingly I'm experiencing something similar, but there are other bugs too.

1. Flint Gatherer appears in the list of buildable buildings and the city will accept it into the build list, but on hitting the "next turn" button it removes itself from the list and either the next item in the list is worked on or the city asks for more work to do. This has happened in at least 2 games now. Not sure if it's related but in the pedia it's showing up as red on the "requires stone or..." menu yet I have stone available from a Stone Tools Workshop on a stone resource. There's also a lot of "or"s associated with this item, which seem to be repeating but not sure if that's relevant.
2. As glaucus.b says above my city won't work a tile if I turn off citizen automation - it creates a citizen instead. If I click on the city to reset it to work a tile and turn back on citizen automation it'll happily work the tile it chooses. Same across both games.
3. My city won't collect any food - it'll happily report how many turns it'll take to expansion but the food counter always remains at 0/whatever, even though it's at +6 food. In a previous game it began collecting after some time (various techs researched and buildings built) but I've passed that point now in the new game and still nothing.

Upload attached with logs etc which I hope you find useful. Currently on the latest revision, which is 11504 at time of writing. Previous revision I was using which all worked fine was 11498 (or possibly 11499) I'm afraid I don't update often - I tend to update between games so I know everything will remain predictable.

I may be doing something stupid or misunderstanding a game mechanic, if so please let me know and I'll go away and shut up :)

Thanks for making an awesome mod, have been using it quietly for years!

Attachments

• caveman2cosmos_bug_1.zip
    19.5 MB · Views: 5
is anyone working on ALL these crashes???
Unfortunately I've been unable the past two days. Toffer had indicated a possibility, but got busy; I'll be rolling back the svn to 11501 in a few hours when I get back to a computer, until the crashes and a few other bugs can be fixed conclusively.

Thank you for the saves by the way, they have been and will be helpful.

Well, this doesn't work. Game started on 11502, updated to 11505, after one turn all cities lose all their owned tiles and revert to 1-tile cities, and stay like that for good. I suppose this is part of the risks of SVN after all.

Well, this doesn't work. Game started on 11502, updated to 11505, after one turn all cities lose all their owned tiles and revert to 1-tile cities, and stay like that for good. I suppose this is part of the risks of SVN after all.
Recalculate modifiers after that turn

Tried that, recalculate and pass another turn, nothing changes. Tried twice in a row as well. Then I went into worldbuilder, tile properties indicate that the tiles have my culture, however they're not showing as owned by me. I tried to expand a city's culture level in worldbuilder, the message that the culture level changed works fine, but the tiles don't change... there must've been a fundamental change in how tiles' culture works, I don't think it can be helped. It was a test game after all, no big deal. You can take a look for yourself if you're curious what it looks like :p

Attachments

• Rome all 1 tile cities.CivBeyondSwordSave
    7 MB · Views: 6
Tried that, recalculate and pass another turn, nothing changes. Tried twice in a row as well. Then I went into worldbuilder, tile properties indicate that the tiles have my culture, however they're not showing as owned by me. I tried to expand a city's culture level in worldbuilder, the message that the culture level changed works fine, but the tiles don't change... there must've been a fundamental change in how tiles' culture works, I don't think it can be helped. It was a test game after all, no big deal. You can take a look for yourself if you're curious what it looks like :p
Seems like game can't process adding/removing culture levels in ongoing saves

use to, need to get this back the way it used to be. . . .and without the crashes. . . .

EDIT: the autosave is not working properly akso,, i have it set to 1 and when i go back to auto, it is 5-6 turns later
Go back to earlier save, also it looks like BTS INI broke for some reason - common bug with base game it seems.

there must've been a fundamental change in how tiles' culture works, I don't think it can be helped.
Unfortunately that was somewhat the point of the change, yes. I think you may be able to recover a game saved on 11502-11504 if you go into worldbuilder and set cities culture level to 0 ("None") while on 11504, then save, followed by loading in 11505 and then setting levels back to what they should be, but I'm not certain; the existing code tying city culture to tiles around it is either needlessly complex, or not complex enough for realistic culture.
Seems like game can't process adding/removing culture levels in ongoing saves
Amusingly, that was the case for the existing realistic culture levels before I started messing with it; the existing additional levels were, directly or not, the cause of a number of issues with culture I had to try to fix when implementing other changes. Unfortunately I believe it still is the (or at least a) problem, as properly fixing it seems a mite tricker than I can handle on my own. I thought I'd a viable workaround, enough that it didn't seem to crash in my autoplays, but I clearly missed something(s).

see DMP times CTD's (click on jpg to see what is written on it)

Attachments

• ctd's.JPG
    ctd's.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 14
see DMP times CTD's (click on jpg to see what is written on it)
Those all seem to be from svn 11502 (beta.7191)? I did patch a few bugs including some ctds thru 11504 (beta.7202), but I couldn't fix the last errors quickly and so reverted until I or someone else will be able to (svn 11505). Sadly games saved on 11502-11504 will have messed up culture borders if continued in 11505 unless (I think) you set borders to 0 in worldbuilder on 11504, save, then open the game in 11505 and reset the borders to what they should be.

Those all seem to be from svn 11502 (beta.7191)? I did patch a few bugs including some ctds thru 11504 (beta.7202), but I couldn't fix the last errors quickly and so reverted until I or someone else will be able to (svn 11505). Sadly games saved on 11502-11504 will have messed up culture borders if continued in 11505 unless (I think) you set borders to 0 in worldbuilder on 11504, save, then open the game in 11505 and reset the borders to what they should be.

.but i was just thinking if i was playing 02 and u see all the CTDs then something might be causing the CTD before 04??

Last edited:
EDIT: dont see anyplace in WB that can change borders?? went back and updated to 04, will try here. . borders r ok here also.
I wasn't specific enough, sorry. Action would be to set culture level to 0 ("none") through edit city mode in 11504, then only bump it back up in 11505.
but i was just thinking if i was playing 02 and u see all the CTDs then something might be causing the CTD before 04??
03 and 04 included some possible ctd fixes, though possibly at the expense of others elsewhere; there is a core coding issue I cannot easily fix, and clearly the workaround I tried was insufficient.
repeatable CTD,, diff game:
If you are playing different games, I would recommend sticking with 05 for now; it'll be a little bit yet until the bugs from 04 can be fixed, and I did get already get good feedback and save files of bugs in it to fix. Not worth you getting annoyed over the ctd issues in 02-04, I think.

just so u'll know i still have crashes after a complete clean up and a brand new 11505

so i do believe as i said before, it happens to before 11502

one always happens between turn 360 and 391 and also a 2nd one . .

Last edited:
Top Bottom