Single Player bugs and crashes v43 plus (SVN) - After January 2023

Now that I have a Game into Industrial Era and made it thru the Ren Era Civics, there are areas I need to Tweak. Current game play and Eras reached, with the many changes to the Mod, makes it better to stay with certain older Civics longer now. And some of the Attributes on these early mid game Civics are backwards thinking to say the least. Those prior to me on Civics had no idea what a Constitutional Republic is and what a Democracy really is. And believed that Propaganda is Good?? Yikes! Hope I can get some of this fixed and into the Mod before the next Release. If not, then it will be a "patch".

Oh, I thought you were responding to City build que problems. Tiles I have not seen any display problems. Working tiles to keep and retain Culture so as not to lose them is still a work in progress, a learning curve if you will. I have been using the Equilibrium Option.

Now that I have a Game into Industrial Era and made it thru the Ren Era Civics, there are areas I need to Tweak. Current game play and Eras reached, with the many changes to the Mod, makes it better to stay with certain older Civics longer now. And some of the Attributes on these early mid game Civics are backwards thinking to say the least. Those prior to me on Civics had no idea what a Constitutional Republic is and what a Democracy really is. And believed that Propaganda is Good?? Yikes! Hope I can get some of this fixed and into the Mod before the next Release. If not, then it will be a "patch".
Republic is when you have president or parliament representing people.
Democracy is when you have elections. Yes, even if only 10% people can vote or votes its still democracy, but its not very liberal.
So democratic republic is presidential or parliamentary system where you (or more restrictions other than being adult in less liberal places) can vote.

So what is your definition of democracy, republic, constitutional republic?
Aren't most of western world constitutional/democratic republics?

Also Democracy and Republic sounds like civics that were here since Vanilla or Rise of Mankind with their effects as is.

By the way lots of civics should be changed anyway, like Welfare stuff that still act as Healthcare civics - in fact translations still mention them as if it was Healthcare stuff and not Welfare.

Last edited:
Ship of the Line (str 24) and Man O War (str 24) used to have different str values. Getting the Man O war is not a boost to your navy now at all. Just costs more to build. The Man O War is an Upgrade for War Sloops and Brigantines though, while the Ship of the Line is not. Makes no sense why.
Ok, well-noted. Thanks! Obvi... unit review and all that. BTW, I'm going to bump the civics page with a comment from discord here in a minute but mostly so I can direct the commenter to discuss the matter there.

EDIT: One more thing Upon entering Industrial era Tech tree there are 2 techs that Say they give Iron Frigate; Steam Power and Steel. At Steam Power I got Steam Paddle ship but no Iron Frigate. Description cleanup needed.
These are automatic. It's a result of AND/OR prereqs not being too clear on how to deliver with absolute clarity IIRC. Like, yeah, Steam Power may provide Iron Frigates IF you have x, y, or z techs as well sort of thing. I'm not sure about where it gets wrapped up in the details in the coding on what gets what messaging exactly. When dealing with multiple prereqs, it's always a take with a grain of salt messaging when getting tooltips on techs themselves.

Republic is when you have president or parliament representing people.
Democracy is when you have elections. Yes, even if only 10% people can vote or votes its still democracy, but its not very liberal.
So democratic republic is presidential or parliamentary system where you (or more restrictions other than being adult in less liberal places) can vote.

So what is your definition of democracy, republic, constitutional republic?
Aren't most of western world constitutional/democratic republics?

Also Democracy and Republic sounds like civics that were here since Vanilla or Rise of Mankind with their effects as is.

By the way lots of civics should be changed anyway, like Welfare stuff that still act as Healthcare civics - in fact translations still mention them as if it was Healthcare stuff and not Welfare.
Are you a history buff now raxo?

Are you a history buff now raxo?
Nope, just played Victoria 3, there are industrial era politics and economy in this game.
Pretty cool game, its real time, that you can pause if you want it.

Last edited:
Constitutional Republic and Democracy are only loosely connected. In World War II the only major power that clearly did (and still doesn't) have a constitution was the UK (which also isn't a Republic), for Nazi Germany this question is a bit complex (the Enabling Act is sometimes considered its constitution), the other major powers had constitutions (including the Soviet Union). Japan and Italy (if you consider it a major power) were monarchies. So you had constitutional republics that were not democracies (Soviet Union and perhaps Nazi Germany) and you had a democracy that was neither constitutional nor a republic (the UK). With the USA and France it overlapped in a good way, with Italy and Japan ... less so.

Of course, the UK has a certain set of laws the combined together (and connected to numerous conventions) fulfil this role to a point, but not tied together and not strongly protected against change.

New Civics screen and I cannot access the Civics. The only thing that will show up is Anarchism. See Screenshot. New Game started today. This does have a test CivicInfos file. But that Civics screen is new to me since the SVN 11551. All my other games were started before SVN 11551. And what is this Policy thing at the bottom of the New Civic Screen. Twice when it asked me to change I selected the Let Me see Option and then I don't get to see the choices nor is the new civic instituted that I can tell.

Anyway this screen is basically non functional,

EDIT: On Chiefdom I clicked on Yes Start the change orwhatevr it said to activate Chiefdom. A few turns later I go into this wonky screen to see if Chiefdom is displayed and active the Anarchism Symbol is still there on the side tab. I click it and it shows both Anarchism and Chiefdom, It says to start revolution click the Revolution button. When I did It took me Off Chiefdom and back to Anarchism! Now I can't get back to Chiefdom.

Please! Whomever made this screen Go back to the Original way we had it. This one is Horrible! Also when I 1st loaded the game I got a series of xml popup error screens about a loop not being right. I clicked he close and the game started normally. Had I known how bad this was gong to be I would have tried to do a web capture to show these error popups.

You can not release a new version with this bad of an error filled Civics screen! Whomever made this seemingly did not test it in a play now game setting. Maybe no testing at all?!! Bad Modding practices will bite this Mod in the behind. :(

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0116.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0116.JPG
    343.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Civic Test 3-6-23 BC-24667.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • Civ4ScreenShot0117.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0117.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
You can not release a new version with this bad of an error filled Civics screen! Whomever made this seemingly did not test it in a play now game setting. Maybe no testing at all?!! Bad Modding practices will bite this Mod in the behind. :(
You messed something, you will need to do full SVN cleanup

Most likely something with your tweaks is causing the error? Send me your files in pm and I'll test myself in a day or two
They were Loop function errors. The simple xml value changes I did do not give Loop errors at game start up. This is the 1st new game I have started sinc SVN 11447 iirc. I keep the SVN updated and check for new Updates every day. SVN 11551 has not been updated since it was put up over a week ago or longer.

If I did somehow cause this error then Please point out what I did wrong so I will not do it again. I use Notepad++ for editing the xml files.

The simple xml value changes I did do not give Loop errors at game start up.
The errors are caused by blocks such as these:
XML:
<YieldModifiers>
    <iYield>5</iYield>
    <iYield>5</iYield>
    <iYield>5</iYield>
    <iYield>3</iYield>
</YieldModifiers>
Pretty sure there should only be 3 values for yield modifiers; food/prod/commerce. You're wanting CommerceModifiers for gold/research/culture/espionage.

The errors are caused by blocks such as these:
XML:
<YieldModifiers>
    <iYield>5</iYield>
    <iYield>5</iYield>
    <iYield>5</iYield>
    <iYield>3</iYield>
</YieldModifiers>
Pretty sure there should only be 3 values for yield modifiers; food/prod/commerce. You're wanting CommerceModifiers for gold/research/culture/espionage.
Crickey! Yup, I forgot that Plain YieldModifiers only had 3 values, Food/prod/commerce. Sigh, I hate making mistakes. Thank you for your Help! :old:

Now I will go back and redo what I meant to do correctly (I hope!) this time.

Just toss that File. I'll PM you when I get a correct one made. :old::wallbash::old:

problem: infinite loop
file too big, had to upload elsewhere

A bug that no normal game would ever experience (only found out because I'm fooling around with ideas):
If you gather enough Culture for the next Trait, but there are no available Traits left - the game gets stuck in a "running man loop", doing not sure what.
Probably looking for a non-existent entry it got the command to search for, apparently.

And a more general PROBLEM:
Whenever the above thing happens (the "running man loop", regardless of the reason behind it) - the game literally can't be CLOSED in any way besides Signing Out of the PC account.
That's ANNOYING to no end, and is a GENERIC BUG related to how the engine deals with LOOPS to begin with.
I'd very much REALLY appreciated, if you can fix that problem (though I have my doubts about it, based on whether this is an EXE problem).
Not just this particular loop bug, but the more conceptual problem of Civ going into "scratching its head for solution forever" mode, dammit.
That's LAME.

A bug that no normal game would ever experience (only found out because I'm fooling around with ideas):
If you gather enough Culture for the next Trait, but there are no available Traits left - the game gets stuck in a "running man loop", doing not sure what.
Probably looking for a non-existent entry it got the command to search for, apparently.

And a more general PROBLEM:
Whenever the above thing happens (the "running man loop", regardless of the reason behind it) - the game literally can't be CLOSED in any way besides Signing Out of the PC account.
That's ANNOYING to no end, and is a GENERIC BUG related to how the engine deals with LOOPS to begin with.
I'd very much REALLY appreciated, if you can fix that problem (though I have my doubts about it, based on whether this is an EXE problem).
Not just this particular loop bug, but the more conceptual problem of Civ going into "scratching its head for solution forever" mode, dammit.
That's LAME.
I'd say it's a generic exe structural issue but if you were to solve for it with a loop count short circuit as we did with infinite looping unit AIs, it would be on a per infinite loop discovered basis, which in this case is one you created by messin' round and findin' out in a way that should seriously never be possible so... unfortunately it takes the ultimate definition of lowest possible priority fix that only a programming modder would do for themselves.

I'd say it's a generic exe structural issue but if you were to solve for it with a loop count short circuit as we did with infinite looping unit AIs, it would be on a per infinite loop discovered basis, which in this case is one you created by messin' round and findin' out in a way that should seriously never be possible so... unfortunately it takes the ultimate definition of lowest possible priority fix that only a programming modder would do for themselves.
I was hoping for something that would stop any endless loops (or in this case, attempts to get a variable/value that isn't there) regardless of what caused them, ya know.
Sure, sounds a bit too demanding for a fix-it-all, but one can always wish, lol.

I was hoping for something that would stop any endless loops (or in this case, attempts to get a variable/value that isn't there) regardless of what caused them, ya know.
Sure, sounds a bit too demanding for a fix-it-all, but one can always wish, lol.
With the way the exe and the round sequence is designed, it would be quite a project at best.

Top Bottom