[GS] Sneak Peak 15/01

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Predictions:

Civ UA: The peace of Westphalia - Bonus when creating world congress resolutions. Gain unique governor Axel Oxenstierna

Civ UU: Hakkapeliitta - Cuirassier replacement

Civ UI: Karolinska Institute - University replacement

Kristina's UA: Minerva of the north - Gain more GPs and hold more great works in capital

That, in turn, leaves out Suleiman: the first printed book in Constantinople was in 1493, and it was an Armenian Grammar, and the only books printed in the Ottoman Empire for the next 250 or so years were Christian psalters and such: the first printed book in Arabic wasn't until 1729!.

Okay, now I'm 100% convinced. Previously, I genuinely thought Suleiman lived and reigned in a Turkey of printed books, considering he too was a patron of arts and literature.

A cannonball that size would crush any wooden holder - it would weigh over 100 pounds. Nope, it's a globe, which pretty much indicates a Renaissance or later leader.
The library of books also require a Printing Press: before the press, a 'scholar' in Europe was anyone with more than 20 books!

That, in turn, leaves out Suleiman: the first printed book in Constantinople was in 1493, and it was an Armenian Grammar, and the only books printed in the Ottoman Empire for the next 250 or so years were Christian psalters and such: the first printed book in Arabic wasn't until 1729!

So, by default, due to the Leak, Sweden/Kristina is the only candidate that fits.

Unless, of course, those aren't books but Folio-Bound papyrus ledgers and the globe is from Ptolemy's studies in the Great Library and a reference to the Phoenician captain who sailed around Africa for the Pharaoh and so it's all about Phoenicia. . .

But even I think that's a stretch.
Or FXS just didn’t think of that many nuances. Like how they put Laurier in front of the building that was not present during his lifetime.

least exciting civs that could return from V

I'm actually playing them in Civ5 right now. One of the few civs I don't have the achievement for. And their Civ bonus in Civ5 really sucks. Am I really supposed to use my valuable great people just for 90 influence? That doesn't seem very good to me. But then again, I'm rusty at Civ5 and was never that good at that game to begin with. I'm having to relearn everything for this game.

As for Civ6 I'm just not that excited for them. I don't remember my list exactly, but in my which civ are you going to play first thread, I think I have them 2nd to last just above Canada. Canada and Sweden seem to be snooze fests to me. But who knows, Sweden may surprise me tomorrow.

I always thought Sweden was pretty dull in Civ5. Burning a great person for 90 influence sucks and their second UA wasn't that useful. The unit that sarted with the march promotion was pretty solid though. Love the peace theme though.

I am curious to see how they will play out in 6. I wonder if they will get diplomatic favor upon declaring friendship.

So if not for the leak, what would we be guessing? George Washington (who had a globe in Civ V)? Portugal?
For me it would have been Portugal. I had them as one of my original guesses for this expansion. And they fill the Europe slot that really should be the next reveal.

So, what is it about Sweden and its place in history that would excite folks?
Sweden played a major role in the Thirty Years' War and revolutionized warfare with their Karoliners.

Last edited:
I'm actually playing them in Civ5 right now. One of the few civs I don't have the achievement for. And their Civ bonus in Civ5 really sucks. Am I really supposed to use my valuable great people just for 90 influence? That doesn't seem very good to me. But then again, I'm rusty at Civ5 and was never that good at that game to begin with. I'm having to relearn everything for this game.
<>
I won the easiest diplo-win in Civ 5 because of that ability. For a diplo-won, you don't really need most of these GP, so saving them and using them timely - you win. Felt almost like I was cheating.
I don't really like the ability though, so I hope that they got got something else or of they do a Nobel Prize thing again, that they do it differently. (also I didn't like that they used the wrong portrait for GA. According to the leak, it looks that FXS have learned that lesson).

I really enjoyed the way they played in Civ V where great people had an additional utility as an instant city-state alliance.

As for Civ6 I'm just not that excited for them. I don't remember my list exactly, but in my which civ are you going to play first thread, I think I have them 2nd to last just above Canada. Canada and Sweden seem to be snooze fests to me. But who knows, Sweden may surprise me tomorrow.

Sweden is fantastic in Civ V, that 90 influence is killer when coupled with the 10 percent bonus for friendship declarations and that policy that lets you buy any great person with faith. Fun tip: Use your Great Prophets to spread religion three times, then gift them for the full 90 points. Instant allies. Great Generals and Admirals also have a use for a peacemonger. And honestly you'll be belching out all sorts of great people so you have all kinds of flexibility.

I once had a game with 8 friends as Gustavus Adolphus and only 3 cities founded. I was pumping out national wonders and great people so fast it was hilarious.

It's gone from a very poor country to a great power in a short time (didn't stay a great power too long though :p). It's also the usual textbook example for a militaristic state (besides Prussia). If you look at modern Sweden, that's far away - the country changed considerably and is today often described as a moral great (or even super) power (by "enemies" and allies alike for good or bad). But it continues to punch above it's weight even today if you calculate the weight based on the - still relatively small - population. It's So Sweden can always go military, diplomacy or science. (and socially advanced as well if that would matter in civ).

Here's my idea for how Sweden would function in the game, though it may differ wildly from what FXS has in mind:

Spoiler :
Civ UA: Stormakt
Sweden gains extra era points when successfully completing an Emergency or Scored Competition. Golden era dedication perks are permanent, but Heroic era cannot be achieved

Civ UU: Technologist
Replaces Military Engineer. Each unit consumed provides extra GPP of appropriate flavour to the nearest Swedish district to generate such. May hurry production of Aqueducts, Dams, Canals, Neighbourhhods, Spaceports and their respective improvements

Civ UI: Skansen
Replaces both Archeological Museum and Art Museum. Provides 2 Artifact slots, 2 Great Work of Art slots and 2 citizen slots. Extra science if adjacent to a Zoo and extra faith if adjacent to a national park

Leader UA: Minerva of the North
Whenever another civ recruits a civilian Great Person, there is a likelyhood that Kristina will recieve a duplicate. The likelyhood is equal to the percentage of the GPP cost Kristina has generated for that particular Great Person

Leader Agenda: Descartes' Patron
Focuses on recruiting as many Great People as possible, likes civs that do the same

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom