Spl01 - Noobish Players Try the Concurrent Format

Julius Ceasar

Organized + Expansive. Fishing + Mining.

First impression looks doubtful.

We'd have to move the settler to get to the coast. Incidentally, that's not a big lake (darn), it's ocean. One stinking cow and hints of tundra in the northeast. Of course, one stinking cow probably means Iron, horses, and/or copper nearby.

Lots of forests. Choppy choppy.

Is that a lake up in the northern fog or another coast?

Looking at splime's start, I'm laughing my as_ off at that river. What a rip-off. Fresh water might be a real problem for this start.

On the plus side, two food resources is good. Hills and forests a-plenty. Might consider moving south to the hill to settle? Don't know. We'd lose the corn until we grew. (10 turns?)

ha ha...interesting two civs here...if rex rolls cyrus, then we KNOW we're fated for some early warring w/horseys...

at least he didn't command us to watch his post :lol: :)

edit: d'oh! too late! unfortunately, going to that plains hill would cost us 2 turns, and finally settling in t3. I would even consider moving the settler north one to see what was up there.

votes??

my vote would have to go with *sigh* my roll (NOT b/c it's mine! :) )

all those flood plains, grassland and 3 plains hills?!? how could we not? Thebes would be our econ. powerhouse...

I think it's 5 turns. Either that or 10... It also looks more like a coast up at the top.

Also, about my start, we still get freshwater from it, because it is giving commerce to the hill below. If we stay put, we take the corn immediately, and get the clams in 5 or 10 turns.

Analyzing the starts:
Pholkhero's start has some good :hammers: tiles, but also has :food: everywhere, so :gp: are definately liking this start.

My start has forest everywhere, meaning :hammers: :hammers: , however, for food, we only get corn and clams. Still, forests don't deduct :food: from tiles, so we're alright with that.

Rex's start looks very... um... blank, besides some forests and a hill or two. However, expansize basically doubles the freshwater bonus here, which might be good. However, I'm really tempted towards pholkhero's start.

Also, before we vote, check your saves to make sure the settings are correct, because my start almost began as noble... :smoke:

Oh yeah, and :religion: will rely on a mysticism hut.

I can't check, at work, but I'm 99% sure it's prince...i had the same fear, but I *think* i remember specifically i switched it to prince...it SUCKS that it doesn't save that on Custom Game, but saves everything else...i'll check at home...

That's fine, if you're 99% sure, that's good enough.

We've got 2 votes for pholkhero (I voted officially now), so unless we get new members joining in soon, it's pholkhero's Egyptian Super-Start.

Of the three, I'm liking Egypt the best, though I'll gladly listen to any argument for the others. None are blowing me away.

Well, i will check when i get home since i can't even post the save until then...plus, perhaps we'll get some more players by then. if not, do you have a back-up plan? I wounld't mind playing this as a reg. SG if we can't get two teams up...

Confirmed difficulty. Climate and water level were random. Epic, standard size, and tilted_axis were the other specs, right?

I'm hoping for more players, but we can always play the turnsets as one team. Also, unless I start a new thread, we can't make this normal, as then the title would have to change... Still possible though.

Once pholkhero gets the save up, do we do 20 or 30 turns? 20 gives us more ability to strategize, but 30 sounds better for a succession game like this. Also, when we start playing the saves, we need to put our write-ups in spoiler tags so that if someone hasn't finished yet, they don't get their game spoiled.

Edit: Rex: You got it.

Well, since it would be just the three of us, i don't think a title change would be that necessary if we went regular...

we could go 30t 1st set, 25t 2nd set, 20t standard set from then on

Splime said:
Also, when we start playing the saves, we need to put our write-ups in spoiler tags so that if someone hasn't finished yet, they don't get their game spoiled.
Or, just make one day of the week Reporting Day, and all games must be played by then and have reports up. So, in essence, they won't be spoilers anymore :)

I say 30 turns for the "press enter" stage, 20 until gun powder, 10 (or fewer) thereafter.

I also like one team of three, if we get no more recruits, rather than standard SG. I've played standard SG before. Never best-ball.

I don't personally care about the spoiler tag part. Each of us should be disciplined enough to not look until we've played our round.

I don't like the "Reporting Day" thing that much though. If we go at an irregular pace, there'll be some days where I hardly get on my computer at all (most Mondays). Still, if we go at a regular weekly pace, that's a decent idea. Also, even if we do a reporting day scenario, we can still post early using spoilers.

About turn rates -- I'm thinking 30 to begin, and see where it takes us. If we're busy in the Modern Era, 10 won't be a bad idea then.

rex_tyranus said:
I don't personally care about the spoiler tag part. Each of us should be disciplined enough to not look until we've played our round.

That's true, but spoiler tags are a safety measure if a situation comes up where someone has to post here due to a problem. (where they can still play the rest) It's just a safety precaution.

rex_tyranus said:
Spoiler :
Fair enough.

:scan: then again, if something warranting an early visit to the thread pops up PMing is always an option. I guess we can avoid spoilers then, but it doesn't really matter.

Top Bottom