Spl01 - Noobish Players Try the Concurrent Format

Remember, we have 2 workers chopping in the capital. You can maximize production by waiting until one of them has 2 turns remaining, then switch production to a Settler. After two turns and both forests are gone, switch to some other unit; likely an axeman. Keep working on the axeman until the first worker has 2 turns remaining on his 2nd forest. Then switch back to the settler for two more turns (switch by selecting a new settler to build -- the original settler will move to the head of the queue. you can then delete the new settler)

Some folks call this an exploit, probably because it's so powerful. The bonus chop hammers go only to the settler. Meanwhile, the city grows while it makes progress on the axeman.

Splime said:
Personally, I'm liking my save, for the impending wonder -- the Colussus.

The Colussus is definitely doable. I agree that a mine in Greendot is needed badly.

What else should we be doing next? Where should the next settler go?

How 'bout barbarians? Should we set up some fogbusters? Or, instead, encourage barbarians in order to earn some experience for the axemen?

Am I asking too many questions? Hello? Hello? Is this thing working?

Regarding Colossus, I think it should be our top priority wonder for the classical age. Finances will keep this ship afloat. I plan to start building it ASAP, probably sticking it in Pholktown. (Haven't looked at the save in a while.)

My other priorities are to hook up happiness resources so Splime and Pant can grow (they'll be monsters). That puts my next settler somewhere near the beavers (beavers make me happy).

Also, I'm itching to explore. That means scouts and boats.

Regarding barbs, my preference is to not bust, get free XP and free settlers. But that's only if we can stomach them at the moment. I don't know when barb axes come in, but we had better be able to defend them when they do.

I'm sensing we have a consensus on making the Colossus a high priority. It sounds like you (Rex) want to support growth and I'm definitely down with that.

I vote for no fog busting too. After we get a barracks built, our axemen will beat-up their axemen.

So, beyond the Colossus, I think we should focus on getting Optics and the circumnavigation bonus. I'd bet the farm there isn't a lot of continent within galley range of us so Astronmy will be our longer-term goal beyond Optics. Hmmm, sounds like a Civil Service slingshot attempt is in our future? Research, research, research! (which means economy, economy, economy!).

BTW, does it scare anyone else that we're still at 480BC and on page 21 in the forum? Is there a limit to number of pages in a thread?

21!?!? i'm @ 11 here...though i do have 40 posts per page on...we're just a chatty bunch!

This is my official "got-it". I should be able to play tonight unless my wife decides that Thursdays are our "nag" night again.

Ok, I'm done:

Spoiler :

----------------------------New entries----------------------------
Turn 116 (480 BC)

Turn 117 (460 BC)
Green Dot grows: 5
Old Pholks Home finishes: Galley

Turn 118 (440 BC)
Old Pholks Home begins: Axeman
Splime Notes: I like copper...
Pantload finishes: Forge

Turn 119 (420 BC)
Pantload begins: Library
Splime Notes: Pantload can get collussus in 11... resisting urge...

Turn 120 (400 BC)
Pantload begins: Settler
Splime Notes: pop-up asks to start settler in pant, i accept
Pantload finishes: Library

Turn 121 (380 BC)
Splime Notes: Great Lighthouse in a far away land...

Turn 122 (360 BC)

Turn 123 (340 BC)
Confucianism founded in a distant land

Turn 124 (320 BC)
Splime Notes: Confusion FIDL. CoL isn't AS useful now.

Turn 125 (300 BC)
Splimesylvania's borders expand

Turn 126 (280 BC)
Green Dot grows: 6

Turn 127 (260 BC)

Turn 128 (240 BC)

Turn 129 (220 BC)
Pantload finishes: Settler

Turn 130 (200 BC)
Pantload begins: Galley
Splime Notes: we can settle now, sweet...
Splime Notes: new galley in 3
Splime Notes: splime forge in 6. It'll become a monster soon.
Splime Notes: Green Dot: Forge in 12. from 169.
Splime Notes: GREEN DOT MUST STOP GROWTH AT SIZE 7!
Splime Notes: im almost ready for Green Dot to make Colussus
Splime Notes: CoL in 7.
Splime Notes: pholk: axe in 3.
Splime Notes: we have workers mining and quarrying and cottaging.
Splime Notes: and camping.

The Exploration Status:

Remember to dump the scout before going to Nappy/Louis. We need the hut. If it isn't guarded.

I've played my turns and written the write-up, but I can't add the pics in tonight. I'll post tomorrow.

edit:

Spoiler :
uh, Splime? How do you know where France is?

edit 2:

Spoiler :
Okay, never mind. I opened the save and saw the blue fringe. I always thought contact was made as soon as you see the fringe. Sorry.

hi guys, i've been lurking, hope to be able to rejoin the game real soon!

hey Auto!!

i will have it tonight, as well as play und post

Just a heads up, I won't be around until Sunday afternoon. Saves and write-up are still due by tommorow night, but I won't be around to enforce that...

Spoiler :

Turn 116 (480 BC)

Turn 117 (460 BC)
Pantload begins: Settler
User comment: 1st worker has 2 turns remaining on chop. Switch to settler.
User comment: Start much needed mine at Greendot.
User comment: Silver mine is connected. All cities can grow at least 2 more now.
Green Dot grows: 5
Old Pholks Home finishes: Galley

Turn 118 (440 BC)

Turn 119 (420 BC)
Pantload finishes: Settler
User comment: Send Settler north to grab seafood and 3 hills. Could be a good production spot.

Turn 120 (400 BC)

Turn 121 (380 BC)

Turn 122 (360 BC)
Thebes founded
Thebes begins: Work Boat

Turn 123 (340 BC)
Pantload finishes: Forge
Confucianism founded in a distant land

Turn 124 (320 BC)
Pantload begins: Barracks

Turn 125 (300 BC)
Splimesylvania's borders expand

Turn 126 (280 BC)
User comment: Adjust Pantload to work farm instead of mine to prioritize growth there.
User comment: Scout lands on new land. It looks bigger than I guessed.
Green Dot grows: 6
Thebes's borders expand

Turn 127 (260 BC)

Turn 128 (240 BC)
User comment: A hut in the north! but it's got a garrison.
Old Pholks Home finishes: Axeman
User comment: Come here barbs. I wanna show you my new axe.

Turn 129 (220 BC)
Pantload finishes: Barracks
Hinduism has spread: Thebes

Turn 130 (200 BC)
Pantload begins: Axeman
User comment: Gonna need an axeman to pop that hut
Contact made: French Empire

Frenchy is cautious to us. He's Budhist.

Be careful with the scout. The hut is occupied by a warrior. There's another barbarian warrior lurking in the fog north of the hut.

Attachments

• spl-1.JPG
    spl-1.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 53
Top Bottom