1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SteamDB: "Bison" Depot??

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Scirocco16V, Nov 15, 2013.

1. tnick777

tnick777 Chieftain

I think we fool ourselves into thinking new Civs change the game. It adds a new flavor but it's still the same product.

What I think we all want to see, after logging ~950 hours since 2010 with massive breaks in between, is something new.

2. Sporally

Sporally Chieftain

I don't think many people consider civs added to the game changes the game dramatically. I just find that most people don't want maps only of any type, and since new civs are rarely coming it does feel like a whole new game.

I consider it a big change when a civ has something uniquely unique that puts new API into the game. Venice and Shoeshoe (expansion and unique scout) are good examples of this, while Denmark or the Mongols doesn't change anything - they just have some bonuses here and there.

I've been making some calculations, and in case we don't see any records between Civ5 and the next iteration, we could expect it to be:
    19th September 2014 (earliest)
    17th August 2015 (latest)

So I could consider it to be time for a new iteration.

I don't think we will get more civs. However, I can't say it's a proof we won't get any more civs that they call it "complete". I would say 98% sure we won't see any expansions. However, the word "complete" just say 20% that we won't see any more spin-offs and like 70-75% that we won't see any more civs released. That's my guess - but when that's said I do think we will see Civ6 as the next thing. However, I don't expect it to be release this year honorstly.

3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I think we are more likely to see a spinoff of Civ V next rather than Civ VI. Hopefully it will be a new one rather than Colonization, Railroads, or Pirates!.

Regarding Civ VI, the length of time till it arrives depends on whether they simply evolve the Civ V mechanics and engine to be more elegant or move to something new. I think early 2015 at the earliest.

4. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

Wasn't it like 5 years between the last patch on BtS and Civ5 coming out? We may not see Civ6 until 2020.

5. Aaron90495

Aaron90495 Chieftain

It was like 5 years between the RELEASE of Civ IV Vanilla and Civ V vanilla (2005 vs. 2010).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Looking at old threads, it appears the last BtS patch was released on 10 June 2009, with Civ5 being released a year and a quarter later on 21 September 2010.

7. Aaron90495

Aaron90495 Chieftain

Huh, that's shorter than I remember. Great work as always, Camikaze :goodjob:

8. cpm4001

cpm4001 Goggleman

That's an interesting thought in regards a Civ V spinoff...hadn't really thought about that. Got to say, though, that I'd love a Railroads! 2 (that was my favorite game for a while, except for all the crashes...)

9. durfal

durfal The Dutch Daredevil

To be honest I don't need a civ VI at the moment.
    Every time a new civ game is released (and I'm playing this game since civ II) it comes with a enormous amount of bugs and it feels every time like a bare version of the game.
    I understand that they have to "save" stuff for dlc/expansions, but most of the buyers were players of the last civ game and I feel every time we loose more than we gain until the first expansion comes along.
    At G&K I finally stopped playing CivIV altogether, because civ V was unplayable for me when the game was released, both technical and play-wise.
    Graphically I'm still very satisfied with what we got and I wouldn't mind another expansion at all.
    Maybe one that can be played as standalone but also adds stuff to the core game. Like a sort of Alpha Centauri kind of game which also adds more stuff to the future era of the core game (and new civs off course)

10. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

I think it's more like, every new game is a reboot, and they need our feedback before they can expand on it.

Furthermore, KELP FARMS!!!!one!

11. temprus

temprus Chieftain

This is what I would like to see happen.

12. Scirocco16V

Scirocco16V Chieftain

That sounds like 2 different products (both of which I would love).
    1) Expands the future eras of a "normal" Civ 5 game, something like Call to Power 2 did, where you keep going well past 2050. The problem I see with this is that most of the time, by 2050 the game has been decided one way or another for quite some time. The whole game would need to be rebalanced to make it last longer, so I don't see it happening, unfortunately.
    2) A remake of Alpha Centauri as a stand alone game based on Civ 5 engine, like Colonization for Civ 4. This seems very doable to me and would make me a much happier camper than Civ 6.

13. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Except isn't Alpha Centauri owned by EA or something? It would need a title change at the very least.

14. Scirocco16V

Scirocco16V Chieftain

That's what I've heard.

How about "Sid Meier's Not-Alpha Centauri*"?
    or "Sid Meier's Planetary Colonization"?

I'm guessing Alastair Reynolds would need to be paid but one of these 2 would be cool:
    Sid Meier's Epsilon Eridani
    Sid Meier's 61 Cygni
    Probably more realistic than Alpha Centauri anyway. Everyone has an idea what type of game it will be when they see "Sid Meier's" and Epsilon Eridani and 61 Cygni both sound very outer-spacy.

15. temprus

temprus Chieftain

If it were to be a Civ V expansion, I would expect to have a name like: Civilization V: The Final Frontier.

16. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

This has probably been noticed before, but one of the screenshots from this link shows "flourishing of the arts" as a founder belief. I'm sure I've not seen this before - unless it's in a scenario I've not played. Could it be a new addition to the "bison" pack?

Spoiler :

EDIT: Actually, looking at the religions, this seems to be a G&K screenshot, so probably it was included in the Renaissance scenario.

17. Piruparka

Piruparka Chieftain

It's an old g&k screenshot.

18. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

It's a beta G&K screenshot they released when GK wasn't out yet, Flourishing of the Arts was most likely a founder belief before they put the +10% culture during golden ages thing.

19. Ga1Friday

Ga1Friday 2K Community Manager

Hello everyone.
    AS mentioned by EaglePursuit I will be here to give more information about Civilization V Complete as it becomes available. Right now I can confirm that Civilization V Complete is coming soon and will be available on 02/04/2014 in North America and 02/07/2014 for rest of world.
    -Kate

20. jddods

jddods Chieftain

Thank you Kate.