1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Strange Stability maps

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Dennis Laursen, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Leoreth

Leoreth Space Ranger Moderator

That's exactly what I meant with my post above: parts of Manchuria are in Mongolia's core, so it can't be light green. Yellow only means "like light green, but in a foreign core".

2. Cosmos1985

Cosmos1985 Chieftain

I don't mean to start a long debate about this, but I really have to comment on the first part: Norway fought fiercly against the Germans, yeah, but Denmark surrendered instantly, and our government encouraged cooperation with the occupying forces and told the people that they should accept the situation and not make quarrel of any kind. And we only had any meaningfull civil resistance after the tide of war turned, and it looked like the Germans would lose. And even then, it was quite the minority who really did anything. So I'd say it's a bit more nuanced than that. Only thing Denmark really can be proud of during the war, was the rescuing of the Jews, most of the Danish ones were shipped to Sweden, and got through the war unharmed - and even that is not that black and white, as they were charged enormous sums by the people helping them, in some of the cases :rolleyes:

A lot of the other stuff you're saying makes perfect sense, and I think the German stability map is quite fine and meaningfull, but I don't agree that they should have any yellow in Scandinavia. Sure, ethnically speaking scandinavians were originally germanic, but by that logic Vikings should get yellow in all Anglosaxon territory as well, one could even make a claim for Iberia and other areas the Goths went, and well Germanys stability map by and large should be much bigger than it is. If we count that as a good enough reason to get stability, there really is big work to be done, and a lot of justificed enlargement of the stability maps coming up.

But all in all I think we can all agree that most of the stability maps are a bit random, a mix between historical borders, immigration, other ethnical ties, colonies, vassal states, gameplay reasons, and, well, roll of the dice :D

3. Rod

Rod Chieftain

@Cosmos1985
    I also don't want to start a debate, but I was still astounded by your statement.

We Germans actually consider the Danish to have quite effectively opposed us Germans during WW2, not militarily, but in terms of civil resistance even while your own government was joining the German cause.

Mainly of course by rescuing the Jews (no small feat in those dark times!). But there was also considerably less co-operation than in other countries. Just compare the situation in Denmark with the situation in Sweden or in Slovakia or Hungary or Romania for that matter. These latter countries were even willingly allied with Germany. Till the end of the war Germany had to keep quite a substantial occupation force in Denmark (given the small population). These troops were missing in Eastern Europe and might have prolonged German rule in those countries.
    Maybe one day the Polish will erect some memorial for all the Danish, Dutch, French people who engaged in civil resistance against Germany and hence hampered its war efforts. Seriously no small feat given the ruthless efficiency of the German Gestapo in rooting out all civil resistance.

4. rfcfanatic

rfcfanatic Mercantilist

Where could I find stability maps for Mali, Ethiopia and Carthage?

5. skyclad

skyclad Chieftain

6. rfcfanatic

rfcfanatic Mercantilist

7. awesome

awesome Chieftain

old post, but this is partly why i declare war on mongolia when i play as arabia.

8. Airrifle48942

Airrifle48942 Chieftain

France is in Brazil because there was known to be the war which the Portuguese won in the Brazilian region to gain this area.
    France is in Australia because I heard they had some settlements set over there.

West Germany is red to make room for the Dutch.

Rome isn't always to do with the Ancient, remember the game goes to Renaissance, it is like saying Old England in the New World.

Japan and Taiwan island is possibly something to do with WWII.

I wanted to ask why Russia wasn't in the Hawaiian region (E.g. Fort Elizabeth).

9. Airrifle48942

Airrifle48942 Chieftain

If you think that's strange, I was Japan and settled in Australia in a place called 'Oumu no Dochi' which I think is 'Land of Parrots'.

10. Airrifle48942

Airrifle48942 Chieftain

Oh, and I also wonder why the Mongolians are so small, they had the 2nd biggest empire you know...

11. Leoreth

And it wasn't exactly stable.

12. Airrifle48942

Airrifle48942 Chieftain

Light Sweden for Germany is WWII related.

Yellow Italy is also for WWII or Holy Rome.

13. Airrifle48942

Airrifle48942 Chieftain

I see how it works now, I expanded the Mongolian Empire and owned all of China, Khmer, India and Arabia and Moscow and very very close Russia and the Stability was high.

14. Leoreth

Sweden was neutral in WW2 (although essentially bullied into supplying Germany with resources). Why is it yellow but Norway isn't, even though it was actually occupied?

15. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Chieftain

16. Daedwartin

Daedwartin Chieftain

Probably because it was occupied. Not exactly a good way to endear yourself to those you conquer.

17. Leoreth

But how does stability in Sweden follow from that?

18. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Chieftain

Probably because Sweden wasn't bullied into supplying Germany; they were happy to do supply them. There was also a strong pro-Germany movement in Sweden; a matter that the Swedes don't really want to talk about, even nowadays.

19. Airrifle48942

Airrifle48942 Chieftain

Leoreth, I also want to know if Rome is in the New World as Italy, why don't they own some of Africa as in the occupation of Somalia etc.

20. Leoreth

I can't explain Rhye's reasoning. The Roman stability in the New World seems to be completely arbitrary.