Succession ( NOT BLOODY SECESSION) question

Why worry about this stuff? Elizabeth II is just going to outlive the lot of them anyway.
I am already bothered to the point of screaming by the media furore once she is gone.
Oh wasn't this a remarkable women. Oh so strong and adorable... Oh a media whore who runs a marketing family business... ops.

Sill, if you compare the Queen's actions to those of, say, Princess Diana, I think it's clear how much the Queen actually shuns the limelight.

Antilogic, does "cognatic rather than agnatic-cognatic primogeniture" mean any more to you? I rather suspect not.

Monarchy is a silly system no matter how you spin it, imho.

Antilogic, does "cognatic rather than agnatic-cognatic primogeniture" mean any more to you? I rather suspect not.

Actually, it does. I would describe the modern system as full-cognatic primogeniture. I thought absolute primogeniture had to do with tracing patrilineal descent or something like that. Wiki seems to treat all these terms interchangeably though. Also puts the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Norway, and Denmark in the same group as Sweden.

Monarchy is a silly system no matter how you spin it, imho.

If the monarchs still held any formal power, I'd agree with you.

Actually, it does. I would describe the modern system as full-cognatic primogeniture. I thought absolute primogeniture had to do with tracing patrilineal descent or something like that. Wiki seems to treat all these terms interchangeably though. Also puts the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Norway, and Denmark in the same group as Sweden.

I salute your nuanced appreciation of these matters then. :)

Succession through exclusive male-line descent would be agnatic primogeniture, which is what Salic Law is probably best known for being. (It's also why the personal union between the UK and the Kingdom of Hanover broke up.)

I salute your nuanced appreciation of these matters then. :)

Succession through exclusive male-line descent would be agnatic primogeniture, which is what Salic Law is probably best known for being. (It's also why the personal union between the UK and the Kingdom of Hanover broke up.)

I can thank Crusader Kings I/II and wikipedia, that's about three-quarters of the knowledge base right there. ;)

And as they don't (though this depends on what you mean by formal power), it's all the sillier.

Isn't that the parliamentary system working? The presidents of most European republics have very little power(except France and Russia).

So, almost 950 years on from the Battle of Hastings, it's not just Navarre and Sweden that will practise absolute primogeniture. :)

Hey, Norway has had that enshrined in law since 1990, we're progressive too. The change only applies to the generation born after that, so the current Crown Prince (born in 1973) takes precedence over his sister (born in 1971, and whose reign would have been either a total disaster or immensely amusing, or both). It does mean that princess Ingrid Alexandra, born in 2004, is next in line ahead of her younger brother Sverre Magnus (but he is ahead of his sister in the line of succession to the British throne...)

The current first 20 individuals in the line of succession are:

For some reason I recall that in V for Vendetta enough people had been killed off so that Zara Phillips was the figurehead monarch the fascists had available. (But that was written in the early 1980s when Zara was a baby and several people currently ahead of her on the list weren't born yet.)

Hey, Norway has had that enshrined in law since 1990, we're progressive too. The change only applies to the generation born after that, so the current Crown Prince (born in 1973) takes precedence over his sister (born in 1971, and whose reign would have been either a total disaster or immensely amusing, or both). It does mean that princess Ingrid Alexandra, born in 2004, is next in line ahead of her younger brother Sverre Magnus (but he is ahead of his sister in the line of succession to the British throne...)

Well, apparently King Harald is something like 67th in line to the throne (and receding, what with news of Catherine's pregnancy), but I'll certainly add Norway to my mental list of cognatic monarchies. :)

I support the Jacobin succession, so I think that the true heir to the throne is Franz, Duke of Bavaria- properly, King Francis II of England, Scotland, Ireland & France.

My thinking is, if we're going to have to depose these bastards, we should at least have a dynasty with some experience in the matter.

Top Bottom