Suggestions and Requests

Hi Leoreth,

After several attempts, i´ve managed to download the Git version.
However, i can´t install the "varietas art", since the "asset" file became with a red exclamation, and when i´ve tried to initiate the game, several error messages has popped up, saying things like "heavy swordmen.txt error" and all other units.

That's what I meant earlier. You can revert by deleting the Assets folder and doing another pull again.

Has anyone managed to make VD work with the git version?

I propose to reduce the strength of archer from 3 to 2. The reasoning is easing the empire creation for ancient/classical civs, Egypt, Babylonia, Persia, Greece, Rome.
It might seem too low, but under some circumstances a fortified archer in a cultured city has about 30% odds to beat medieval infantry.
More powerfull cities can train skirmishers, that are more powerfull.

I tried it and the results were satisfying.

It also allows to reduce legion power back to 6.

For the same reasons, but for medieval era, I propose that heavy spearman requires iron, and maybe reduce its power to 5.

A couple thoughts from my last play through:

You ought to be able to build forest preserves on marshes. It doesn't allow the tiles to contribute to city growth or production but gives you something to do with the tiles and gives a lot more civs access to a city that will actually make effective use of a national park.

It would be interesting if certain historically key waterways gained a commerce bonus applied similarly to how capes are applied in the game. The straights of Mozambique, Gibralter, or Malacca and the Suez and Panama canals aren't the most interesting spots on the map as it is, largely because double speed through oceans renders these routes inferior. A straight terrain feature would just add a couple extra commerce to a few choice tiles and make them more interesting targets for colonization. There could also potentially be scripts that drop a few straight features on specific tiles if cities or forts are built on specific tiles. For example there are three tiles that can serve as the suez canal and if a city or fort is placed on any of those three tiles two straight features could be placed on the coast on either side of the city/fort. Admittedly, the canals would require a lot more work than the straights but I think it might be fun.

In the games I've been playing lately I usually am not a major player in Europe and someone is inevitably turning into a juggernaut that builds a pan-European empire. Often it's the HRE but sometimes Russia, Spain, or France. The problem is that they grow so large before they collapse that when they do collapse whoever the survivor is (there's usually only one maybe two European civs left poised to conquer the plethora of newly independent cities), it also grows to titanic proportions and then collapses itself leaving the same void for the one or two civs that happened to be reborn since the last mass collapse, thus restarting the cycle. I think the only thing that is really missing is the rebirth side of things. HRE or Spain ought to be able to build a giant empire before inevitably collapsing but they shouldn't just leave vulnerable independent cities in their wake. From a certain point on for each individual civ, collapses of other civs within their core ought to always yield a rebirth. While that might be appropriate for a nation like France or Spain as early as the 16th century, it might not be appropriate for HRE as an Austria until much later, while later civs like Prussia or Brazil should always rebirth if an imperial power holding their core cities collapses. Maybe there needs to be a critical mass of cities before they get a rebirth but if let's say Spain and German chop France up in a war in which Spain takes Bordeaux and Marseilles and German takes Paris, should Germany collapse I don't think it's the end of the world if only Paris is reborn as a French civ.

A couple thoughts from my last play through:

You ought to be able to build forest preserves on marshes. It doesn't allow the tiles to contribute to city growth or production but gives you something to do with the tiles and gives a lot more civs access to a city that will actually make effective use of a national park.
Good idea. With the new tech tree, they are even called Nature Preserve so it is named appropriately. Maybe they should become available a little later for marshes?

It would be interesting if certain historically key waterways gained a commerce bonus applied similarly to how capes are applied in the game. The straights of Mozambique, Gibralter, or Malacca and the Suez and Panama canals aren't the most interesting spots on the map as it is, largely because double speed through oceans renders these routes inferior. A straight terrain feature would just add a couple extra commerce to a few choice tiles and make them more interesting targets for colonization. There could also potentially be scripts that drop a few straight features on specific tiles if cities or forts are built on specific tiles. For example there are three tiles that can serve as the suez canal and if a city or fort is placed on any of those three tiles two straight features could be placed on the coast on either side of the city/fort. Admittedly, the canals would require a lot more work than the straights but I think it might be fun.
Sounds good. I could think of a couple of spots where that would bring the historical value of a site to the fore.

In the games I've been playing lately I usually am not a major player in Europe and someone is inevitably turning into a juggernaut that builds a pan-European empire. Often it's the HRE but sometimes Russia, Spain, or France. The problem is that they grow so large before they collapse that when they do collapse whoever the survivor is (there's usually only one maybe two European civs left poised to conquer the plethora of newly independent cities), it also grows to titanic proportions and then collapses itself leaving the same void for the one or two civs that happened to be reborn since the last mass collapse, thus restarting the cycle. I think the only thing that is really missing is the rebirth side of things. HRE or Spain ought to be able to build a giant empire before inevitably collapsing but they shouldn't just leave vulnerable independent cities in their wake. From a certain point on for each individual civ, collapses of other civs within their core ought to always yield a rebirth. While that might be appropriate for a nation like France or Spain as early as the 16th century, it might not be appropriate for HRE as an Austria until much later, while later civs like Prussia or Brazil should always rebirth if an imperial power holding their core cities collapses. Maybe there needs to be a critical mass of cities before they get a rebirth but if let's say Spain and German chop France up in a war in which Spain takes Bordeaux and Marseilles and German takes Paris, should Germany collapse I don't think it's the end of the world if only Paris is reborn as a French civ.
I agree, I wanted to do this back in the day already but it seems I forgot about it. Actually it mostly needs some investigation as to what the critical factor is that stops the respawn on collapse, because the code for that is already in place. Maybe some rules need to be tweaked a bit.

The historical area is deliberately smaller than the largest extent of the Mongol Empire to make sure they eventually collapse after reaching that point.

Probably not in the state it's in right now, sorry.

I agree, I wanted to do this back in the day already but it seems I forgot about it. Actually it mostly needs some investigation as to what the critical factor is that stops the respawn on collapse, because the code for that is already in place. Maybe some rules need to be tweaked a bit.
Okay, I think the important factor here was that respawns from collapse obeyed the same rules as regular respawns as far as the rules go for when they can occur. In particular, every civ had a set of time frames where they could respawn, for the Europeans that only starts in the 1700s. So instead I changed the rules so that respawns from collapse can always happen after the birth of a civ, as long as its not past its historical fall date.

I think this was mentioned at some point before, but would it be possible to make the religion maps somewhat dynamic? I think having areas of the map coded to certain religions works well to keep the game fairly historical, but I think it would be interesting if religions could be added to regions given certain conditions. I once played a game where I colonized Brazil as the Moors, and it would have been interesting if Islam had then been able to spread throughout Brazil after its spawn. Or for a more typical scenario, if Catholic France colonizes large swaths of North America and don't lose it to the British, it would be nice to see Catholicism spreading more instead of the almost certain Protestant auto-spread. And of course like-wise for the opposite scenario as well.

Is this even remotely possible?

It is certainly possible. Leoreth created a function which can change the "religious value" of a tile during a game. The latest version of the extended DoC WB gives the player the ability to change religionmaps ingame based on that function. For your idea to work, we only need to call that function on certain events rather than rely on human input.

Yeah, we could do something like that. I think the static system works well for the old world, where it is pretty good at approximating historical behaviour. But I'd like something where for instance the first civ to colonise a region decides its religion spread, for example.

I'm not sure if this was requested before, but I was thinking that the Caananite peoples could be revived at a later date and become Israel and Lebanon (if this already happens I wouldn't know because I haven't gotten to the modern era yet). And when Rome falls (if they occupy Jerusalem) the Caananites will come back as the Jewish peoples, although they won't have a city. They will be represented as groups of Rabbis that wander throughout the old world, spreading Judaism and taking up space. Rabbis respawn at friendly cities (open borders access) with a synagogue inside them.

Because we have so many new units with the tech tree that cause collateral damage -- all the siege weapons became less unique and specialized. Maybe we should give them range bombardment ability?

Last edited:
All siege units still have the unique ability to bombard city defenses, and either significant city attack bonuses (pre gunpowder) or superior collateral damage capabilities than comparable regular units (in terms of damage limit and number of units affected). I think they still have a clear purpose, it's just more limited than before.

- Surely there's already been heavy discussion about it, but I'll put forward (probably the 100th) a voice for an Israeli Civ.
- Babylonian rebirth as Iraq under Saddam
- Phoenician rebirth as Jordan or Lybia
- An Australian Civ. If it needs to be it could be a rebirth of Polynesia, maybe. They're a significant enough country and economy in the modern times to warrant a Civ, similar situation to Canada
- (Personal bias :) ) Philippines Civ
- A conqueror event in some capacity for any countries that are totalitarian in the 1930s-40s to represent fascist aggression of WWII?
- There's lots of mentions of this already but more religious and cultural flexibility for American civs. For example, beyond just the possibility for other religions depending on the conquerors, you could also let the city name maps be dynamic with the culture that conquers, though that would be significant work I admit. Also, you could add in unique leaders for the conqueror culture, or at least change the leader's name, though I admit this stretches it a bit far
- Ability to change civs to rebirth civs at any timeline
- Greater consequence/impact as well as stronger results for using nuclear weapons, and more gameplay mechanics about them, such as total destruction of most cities and civilizations after a certain threshold leading to the ability to play as a successor state in a post-apocalypse, or a MAD diplomatic agreement
- Climate change and rising tides towards the latter half of the 21st century
- More slots for independent leaders, so that declaring war on Afghanistan doesn't also declare war on New Zealand

Top Bottom