Suggestions for Dynamic Names

The Netherlands becoming South Africa would be nice if their empire becomes centered there. Also, it would very cool if they became Indonesia if centered there. A possible competition with the other Indonesia could spark etc. etc. But the people should be the Indo or Indische (mixed Indonesian-Dutch/European origin) as opposed to being 'Indonesian' or 'Dutch'.

My Aztec suggestions were to give a cool little side-mission (to become the chosen of a god/goddess) while achieving their UHV. The numbers are high so that the name doesn't come across in normal game play.

We should finally separate the Italian and Roman dynamic names files. Republican Rome should be called SPQR, not the Italian Republic.

Other random Roman names:

Communist Rome: Plebian Republic

Vassalized Cordoban Moors: Province of Baetica
Vassalized Moroccan Moors: Province of Mauritania
Vassalized America: Province of Baccalearum Regio

Also, before European contact, shouldn't Japan be Nippon for a while, like how Korea is Goryeo?

We should finally separate the Italian and Roman dynamic names files. Republican Rome should be called SPQR, not the Italian Republic.

Other random Roman names:

Communist Rome: Plebian Republic

Vassalized Cordoban Moors: Province of Baetica
Vassalized Moroccan Moors: Province of Mauritania
Vassalized America: Province of Baccalearum Regio

Also, before European contact, shouldn't Japan be Nippon for a while, like how Korea is Goryeo?

argeed.

It's a while ago since I last encountered Rome's dynamic names, but afaik republican Rome is called "Roman Republic". I opted against SPQR because I want to avoid both initialisms and foreign languages. The Roman names are completely separate from Italy's, by the way. The other names are good ideas, though.

In general, I try to stick with the names for states used in English-speaking historiography, even though that might lead to inconsistencies with names these civs never used for themselves (like Byzantine Empire etc). The Kingdom of Goryeo is just another example of that, because that's the commonly used name for said medieval entity, even though Goryeo and Korea are cognate and mean the same thing.

<Tag>TXT_KEY_CIV_ROME_DESC_DEMOCRATIC</Tag>
<English>Italian Republic</English>

It's "Roman Republic" for a few turns before Rome grabs 6 or more cities.

It's fine for Italy, but doesn't make a lot of sense for Rome. If no foreign languages of acronyms, perhaps "Senate and People of Rome"?

Oh, that's weird. I'll take care of it when the SVN updates are continued.

Mughals with capital in Delhi, vassalized by England, India/Tamils not present:

"British Raj", not "Dominion of Pakistan", which doesn't make sense in these circumstances. More important then obscure stuff like "France reduced to Canada", since it actually happens quite often.

The first united Italian republic was called the Roman Republic.

I would like someone to challenge my sources. Come on, try it. I'm begging you.

Simple: Romans were not the same culture that formed the Republic of Italy. therefor, the Roman Republic /= Italy. Plus...both Rome and Italty are playable here, meaning your argument is pointless

We're talking about names, and should not historical names preclude ones made up?
In addition, I object to your argument that Rome is completely separate from Italy, but that is a historical argument, and this is a game.
My point is as follows: An early, democratic Italy without Rome should be called the Roman Republic. That is all. I apologize for the belligerency, but I have the most epic source and I'm used to the AH.com, where you have to back everything up like that. ;)

We're talking about names, and should not historical names preclude ones made up?
In addition, I object to your argument that Rome is completely separate from Italy, but that is a historical argument, and this is a game.
My point is as follows: An early, democratic Italy without Rome should be called the Roman Republic. That is all. I apologize for the belligerency, but I have the most epic source and I'm used to the AH.com, where you have to back everything up like that. ;)

:facepalm:

THAT IS A PHYSICAL IMPOSSIBILITY IN THIS MOD. Rome always spawns, and Italy is a rarely spawning nation unless one plays as them intentionally.

Why is it when the Prussians spawn, they are called the "Prussian Peoples?" The actual Old Prussians were a Baltic people, like the Lithuanians and Latvians, who were conquered by the Teutonic Knights, and then were assimilated into German culture. We need something more appropriate for those Germans that spawn. Perhaps call them "Duchy of Prussia," which was their name before being called a Kingdom? Maybe we can call it "Pr&#363;sa," which was their Teutonic-Knight-era namethem "German settlers of Prussia," referring to the colonization of the east by Germans called Ostsiedlung

Cisalpine Republic

Why is it when the Prussians spawn, they are called the "Prussian Peoples?" The actual Old Prussians were a Baltic people, like the Lithuanians and Latvians, who were conquered by the Teutonic Knights, and then were assimilated into German culture. We need something more appropriate for those Germans that spawn. Perhaps call them "Duchy of Prussia," which was their name before being called a Kingdom? Maybe we can call it "Pr&#363;sa," which was their Teutonic-Knight-era namethem "German settlers of Prussia," referring to the colonization of the east by Germans called Ostsiedlung

The problem is the time period. The in-game Prussians, if I'm correct, still spawn at 1700. But by then, there were essentially no Baltic Prussian peoples remaining. There is no representation of the Teutonic Knights either, and the in-game Prussia has nothing to do with the historical region of Prussia, merely being named after the Brandenburg-Prussia and the Kingdom of Prussia, in part due to their historical significance but mainly to differentiate them from the HRE/Austria.

THAT IS A PHYSICAL IMPOSSIBILITY IN THIS MOD. Rome always spawns, and Italy is a rarely spawning nation unless one plays as them intentionally.

Are you assuming there that Rome is never collapsed or destroyed by the Celts or Barbarians? You do know I mean the civ, not the city...

To be completely and utterly simplistic on this whole 'Roman' matter:
It's just easier to make the Italians Italian and the Romans Roman.

Top Bottom