Superheroes!

Wasn't season 6 also filmed way in advance - like last year?
I do remember that it was delayed quite a while because the MCU Overlords wanted it to be after Endgame, although having seen most of the season now, I don't know why that made any difference. I've no idea when it was filmed, though.

More Black Widow gossip: Rachel Weisz said in an interview that she's playing another Black Widow. I guess there's also a rumor spreading that Weisz is in fact playing Taskmaster.

Cloak & Dagger and Runaways will be doing a crossover episode in their next seasons, next year, I guess. And Elizabeth Hurley will be playing Morgan Le Fay in the next season of Runaways. That could be fun. I vaguely remember her hamming it up (in a good way) in that movie with Brendan Fraser. Both of these shows kind of fell off my radar, but not because I didn't like them. I think I watched their first seasons, and they've both had a second since. You could add Legion to that list, the first season of which ranks among my favorite seasons of television, but I have yet to catch up with its second, and I think its third season premiered recently. I swear, if I was hospitalized and watching movies & television 18 hours a day, I still might not catch up with everything that piques my interest.

I vaguely remember her hamming it up (in a good way) in that movie with Brendan Fraser.
Bedazzled! Love that movie.
I swear, if I was hospitalized and watching movies & television 18 hours a day, I still might not catch up with everything that piques my interest.
:yup: Same here, 'cept I can't stand watching more than two hours of tv at a time.

Cloak & Dagger and Runaways will be doing a crossover episode in their next seasons, next year, I guess. And Elizabeth Hurley will be playing Morgan Le Fay in the next season of Runaways. That could be fun. I vaguely remember her hamming it up (in a good way) in that movie with Brendan Fraser. Both of these shows kind of fell off my radar, but not because I didn't like them. I think I watched their first seasons, and they've both had a second since. You could add Legion to that list, the first season of which ranks among my favorite seasons of television, but I have yet to catch up with its second, and I think its third season premiered recently. I swear, if I was hospitalized and watching movies & television 18 hours a day, I still might not catch up with everything that piques my interest.

Where were they on? I heard about them, and then nothing more. :dunno:

I'm hoping that Black Panther is the linchpin of the next MCU phase. I remember reading that it would be Dr Strange, but I think that was based pretty strongly on BC being a high profile name (though too long to bother typing).

I'm hoping that Black Panther is the linchpin of the next MCU phase. I remember reading that it would be Dr Strange, but I think that was based pretty strongly on BC being a high profile name (though too long to bother typing).
The MCU's Phase 4 doesn't have a team-up film, at least not yet. I think Shang-Chi is the only movie whose Big Bad has been publicly revealed. We know that Yelena Belova and Taskmaster are both in Black Widow, but it's unclear whether either one is the main antagonist - in fact, the rumor mill is chewing on the idea that Florence Pugh is being introduced to succeed Scarlett Johansson, and their fight in Black Widow is your classic "two heroes are tricked into fighting each other, then team up." So whoever or whatever becomes the centerpiece of the next big event remains unclear. I could imagine a version of Secret Invasion, featuring the Kree as the villains rather than the Skrulls, where Wakanda become important because they've been hidden from everybody the entire time. The Kree wouldn't have infiltrated Wakanda because they didn't know about it. T'Challa would be one of the superhumans who could be trusted (the same goes for Atlantis and Namor, if they're introduced).

The MCU is approaching a little bit of a writing crisis, where some of the big events in Marvel Comics that might be used for inspiration closely resemble the big events they've already done: Secret Invasion, to a fan of the movies unfamiliar with the comics, would seem like a rehash of the HYDRA takeover of SHIELD in The Winter Soldier; and the arrival of Galactus would seem like a rehash of Thanos. Heck, they've already done an extraterrestrial invasion of New York City twice now. There was an article somewhere about Ava Duvernay's The New Gods facing the task of differentiating Darkseid from Thanos. Even though Darkseid came first in the comics, fans of the movies may not know or care, and the two characters are remarkably similar. They even sort of look alike. (And the article didn't even mention that some fans have seen a Thanos-wannabe already, in X-Men: Apocalypse, so for some people Darkseid will be the third such supervillain, and Galactus would be a fourth.)

The MCU's Phase 4 doesn't have a team-up film, at least not yet. I think Shang-Chi is the only movie whose Big Bad has been publicly revealed. We know that Yelena Belova and Taskmaster are both in Black Widow, but it's unclear whether either one is the main antagonist - in fact, the rumor mill is chewing on the idea that Florence Pugh is being introduced to succeed Scarlett Johansson, and their fight in Black Widow is your classic "two heroes are tricked into fighting each other, then team up." So whoever or whatever becomes the centerpiece of the next big event remains unclear. I could imagine a version of Secret Invasion, featuring the Kree as the villains rather than the Skrulls, where Wakanda become important because they've been hidden from everybody the entire time. The Kree wouldn't have infiltrated Wakanda because they didn't know about it. T'Challa would be one of the superhumans who could be trusted (the same goes for Atlantis and Namor, if they're introduced).

The MCU is approaching a little bit of a writing crisis, where some of the big events in Marvel Comics that might be used for inspiration closely resemble the big events they've already done: Secret Invasion, to a fan of the movies unfamiliar with the comics, would seem like a rehash of the HYDRA takeover of SHIELD in The Winter Soldier; and the arrival of Galactus would seem like a rehash of Thanos. Heck, they've already done an extraterrestrial invasion of New York City twice now. There was an article somewhere about Ava Duvernay's The New Gods facing the task of differentiating Darkseid from Thanos. Even though Darkseid came first in the comics, fans of the movies may not know or care, and the two characters are remarkably similar. They even sort of look alike. (And the article didn't even mention that some fans have seen a Thanos-wannabe already, in X-Men: Apocalypse, so for some people Darkseid will be the third such supervillain, and Galactus would be a fourth.)

I'm actually hoping for a break from the galactic level villains. I know "save the earth!" is a great rallying cry, but some good old fashioned stopping the superpowered criminals would be fine with me. Let the Guardians of the Galaxy guard the galaxy for a while and let T'Challa have a straightforward conflict with Kraven the Hunter trying to skin him or something.

I'm actually hoping for a break from the galactic level villains. I know "save the earth!" is a great rallying cry, but some good old fashioned stopping the superpowered criminals would be fine with me. Let the Guardians of the Galaxy guard the galaxy for a while and let T'Challa have a straightforward conflict with Kraven the Hunter trying to skin him or something.
I agree. I don't want to see either Secret Invasion or Galactus, and I don't think a big teamup "epic event" is necessary. The Fantastic Four seem like a natural extension of the alternate dimensions thing they seem to be working on, and Annihilus would be a natural choice of villain for a trip to The Negative Zone, and Doctor Doom hasn't been done right, so there's no reason to rush Galactus, imo. I still don't know how I feel about reinventing the X-Men. Paul Fiege dropped a cryptic clue about "mutants" at SDCC, but he needn't rush on that, as far as I'm concerned. I'm psyched about Blade, interested in Shang-Chi; I wouldn't mind seeing somebody like Moon Knight; and I'd love to see them bring back Daredevil for a 4th season on Disney+, or have Jessica Henwick and Simone Missick for a Daughters of the Dragon mini-series.

Concept art of LaMonica Garrett as the Anti-Monitor, courtesy of IGN.

Spoiler :

News from The CW's Arrowverse/Berlantiverse:
  • Cress Williams (Black Lightning) and Kevin Conroy (Batman: The Animated Series; Batman Beyond; Batman: Mask of the Phantasm) are both going to be in Crisis on Infinite Earths.
  • Marv Wolfman, author of the original Crisis on Infinite Earths comic series, will be in the writers' room for the CW crossover.
  • The CW president Mark Pedowitz said they're looking at another DC Comics property for next season. Speculation runs riot across the interwebz: Superman; Green Lantern; Blue Beetle and/or Booster Gold; a Hellblazer/John Constantine revival. As fun as a proper Green Lantern series could be, the VFX budget would have to be off the charts, and The CW doesn't do that. I thought Tyler Hoechlin and Bitsie Tulloch did a great job (John Cryer, too), but I'm not 100% sold on Superman, sight unseen; I'd need to hear more about that before getting excited. I like John Constantine as part of Legends, and a horror series doesn't seem like The CW's style. From this list, I'd endorse a Blue Beetle & Booster Gold show, and it seems like something The CW could and would do well.
  • Crisis on Infinite Earths will air on December 8th, 9th and 10th, then we'll have to wait almost a month for the 2-hour conclusion on January 14th.

Like The CW, ABC is looking for a successor to its superhero show, Agents of SHIELD. One of the presidents of ABC has been talking to Marvel about a female character who would be "something brand new, mostly." Let the unfounded speculation commence. She-Hulk and Danielle Moonstar were both mentioned in the article, but I think that was just the author name-dropping characters they liked/could think of. I don't know if ABC would debut a character affiliated with the X-Men ahead of Marvel/Disney officially relaunching the X-Men. I also think ABC has a tight rein on its VFX budget, so they ought to be thinking about a character that doesn't demand that (e.g. no Ms. Marvel). A revival of Agent Carter would of course be on my wish-list, but that wouldn't be "something new." The Mockingbird series they canned also wouldn't be new. The actresses who play Maria Hill and Lady Sif both have other tv series, and they also wouldn't be new characters. Dazzler and She-Hulk could be possibilities, I think. Dazzler was a mutant in the comics, but wasn't a core X-Men character. White Tiger was name-dropped in an episode of Jessica Jones, but never appeared. When it comes to the complicated licensing issues, I don't know whether ABC would be allowed to tap into Spider-Man-adjacent characters, like Spider-Woman or Silk, or to pick up any of the Netflix characters, like Colleen Wing and Misty Knight (and neither of them would be "something new", either).

I'd like to see someone make a real go at Catwoman. But the trick is that she really is a criminal, who is occasionally a hero. And people seem to have a hard time writing that.

I'd like to see someone make a real go at Catwoman. But the trick is that she really is a criminal, who is occasionally a hero. And people seem to have a hard time writing that.
That would be fun. Anti-heroes are extremely hard to write. Some people don't even know what an anti-hero is. I recently heard Jessica Jones referred to as an anti-hero, for instance. Catwoman would be a natural choice for a super-powered heist film.

That would be fun. Anti-heroes are extremely hard to write. Some people don't even know what an anti-hero is. I recently heard Jessica Jones referred to as an anti-hero, for instance. Catwoman would be a natural choice for a super-powered heist film.

I've been trying to write some Catwoman stuff, and have read a lot of the graphics novels lately. Still mostly in my head, since I'm not a good writer. But a lot of what I've read doesn't really emphasize the criminal side.

Catwoman is more of a hero that just happens to be a kleptomaniac. She means well, but just has to steal some stuff along the way.

Catwoman is more of a hero that just happens to be a kleptomaniac. She means well, but just has to steal some stuff along the way.

That depends on which story line you follow. :dunno: She's an extremely successful and professional thief. She may be, at core, a good person. She doesn't break laws out of malice. But at the same time, she has little to no respect for laws.

Top Bottom