Superheroes!

I don't want to continue :deadhorse:, but this looks really good, so it's frustrating it comes out after the character's death. Anyway, we're trying to decide which movie will be our inaugural return to the theater, it'll be either A Quiet Place II, F9, Maverick, or Black Widow. Assuming, of course, all of these stick to their current dates.

I saw WW84 in the theater. There are so few other people there that you aren't near anyone. At least we weren't. So not a safety issue.

Speakers of Zulu can understand speakers of Xhosa, and vice-versa. Like Spanish and Italian, I suppose.
...which also means speakers of Zulu should get around fine in Wakanda, where Xhosa is also spoken. It's unclear to me whether Wakanda has its own language or dialect. When T'Chaka and T'Challa were speaking among themselves at the United Nations meeting inVienna in Civil War, they were speaking Xhosa, but I think it's possible Wakandans might speak Xhosa when out in the Western World as part of maintaining their country's unassuming facade, but still want to have some privacy ('cause, really, how many people in any given Western capital are gonna understand Xhosa?). The filmmakers decided to use Xhosa because John Kani is a native speaker, rather than make up a fake African language.

Florence Kasumba, who plays Ayo, the Dora Milaje officer who appeared in the final scene of the 3rd ep of The Falcon & The Winter Soldier, is originally from Uganda. She was the one who had the staredown with Natasha, which prompted T'Challa to say "As much as I would like to see that..." I think everybody wanted to see that. They could sell tickets. Kasumba grew up in Germany, and is fluent in German, Dutch and English, but I wouldn't be shocked if she spoke at least a little Swahili, too. I imagine a lot of Wakandans speak Swahili, which I think is the most widely-spoken language in East-South Africa, where Wakandans must do a lot of business and leisure travel.

She was the one who had the staredown with Natasha, which prompted T'Challa to say "As much as I would like to see that..." I think everybody wanted to see that. They could sell tickets.
When I heard that line it reminded me of Django Unchained, when Dr. King Schulz (Christopher Waltz) demands that Marshall Gil Tatum (Tom "Luke Duke" Wopat) guarantee that he will not allow the deputies to "shoot him down like a dog in the street"... and the Marshal smirks and replies "Well, as much as we'd all like to see something like that... no, don't nobody cheat the hangman in my town."

New trailer. Obviously I was going to watch this anyway, but it does look good.

Random thought: Is it possible Bucky and Ayo got to know each other :groucho: while he was living in Wakanda?

So, which thread are we discussing TF&tWS in and why does hardly anyone seem to care about ep 3?

Lots of superhero stuff in the news.

If you know the Batman comics, The Long Halloween is considered one of the best stand alone stories. DC has been making animated movies out of many of the iconic short storylines in recent years.

Sadly, one of the young actors in the movie Naya Rivera, died of an accidental drowning last year.

The Hollywood Reporter did a long article on the problems which have been dribbling out piecemeal about the Ray Fisher and other actors problems with Joss Whedon on the Justice League movie. And the fallout from that.

"I don't believe some of these people are fit for positions of leadership," says Fisher, who explains he's not looking for anyone to be fired. "I don't want them excommunicated from Hollywood, but I don't think they should be in charge of the hiring and firing of other people." Fisher knows he's not going to win that battle, but he feels a point has been made. "If I can't get accountability," he says, "at least I can make people aware of who they're dealing with."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/f...e-some-of-these-people-are-fit-for-leadership

Apparently many people had trouble with Whedon. But some of the others were well enough established to stand up for themselves, like Gal Gadot, where Fisher just had to take it.

The Other History of the DC Universe

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2021/...ghts-katanas-painfully-relevant-other-history

Here you have a series which, after many long decades in some cases, addresses some of the racial and sexual disparities which have long existed in the comics by trying to give a voice to those who haven't had one all this time.

It's a long article. But it's worth a read.

It really, genuinely pains me, to the point that I could literally start crying right now, that this book is coming out right at this moment. I’m proud that we’re hopefully, at whatever level, forcing conversations. It breaks my heart that a story about Vincent Chin, who deserves for people to know his name—I’m not going to say the names of the perpetrators, they should be consigned to the potter’s field of history. That a story about Vincent Chin is coming out at a time like this just breaks my heart. I’m happy that we add to the awareness. It didn’t start yesterday. It didn’t start a year ago. It’s been going on.

How does it feel to know we’re coming out in a moment that hate creates? It feels terrible. I could not be more proud, I could not be more pained. If there was a piece of art or literature that was going to change the world, somebody else would have already created it. I do hope that for people who have the capacity to understand that this stuff needs to end, that this will help them understand that this is cyclical.

You look at what Watchmen on HBO did—some people didn’t know about Tulsa. It took a TV show to educate people. I hope for a lot of people that right now genuinely want to understand that this is an opportunity to really grasp how we got here and why Tatsu is such an amazing character in the DC fabric.

From 'Justice League' to 'Star Wars,' Studios Reckon with "Toxic" Fandom

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...to-star-wars-studios-reckon-with-toxic-fandom

Hollywood majors are learning they can't be silent about what happens on social media, but as one rep cautions, "If you’re speaking out, you have to speak out for everyone."

When Zack Snyder's Justice League hit HBO Max on March 18, it marked the culmination of a years-long effort by a devoted group of DC fans to allow the director to finish a film he left in 2017. Along the way, Snyder's fans raised $500,000 for suicide prevention in honor of the filmmaker's late daughter, Autumn.

Despite the positives, a small but vocal segment of that fandom used social media to threaten and harass fellow fans, as well as WarnerMedia executives they perceived as standing in the way of the cut. WarnerMedia Studios CEO Ann Sarnoff made waves on March 22 when she condemned such behavior in an interview with Variety, saying: “I’m very disappointed in the fans that have chosen to go to that negative place with regard to DC, with regard to some of our executives."

So 'shut up and take their money' has always been the theme. But some are finding that it's not that simple. Hollywood has never been 'liberal'. It is on many senses unbridled capitalism run amok. Money rules everything, and pretending to care about anything else is a distant 4th. But sometimes that's the wrong approach, to the point where even a Hollywood studio can take notice.

Hey, how about a 1970s proto-Avengers set in the MCU? Hank Pym/Ant-Man, Janet Van Dyne/The Wasp, Peggy Carter and Isaiah Bradley/The Patriot. Michael Douglas, circa The Streets of San Francisco. Peggy Carter would be in her early 50s, I guess? Michelle Pfeiffer was only 14 irl at the time, but while Janet was stuck in the Quantum Realm, she aged slower, so Janet could easily be 10-12 years older than Pfeiffer is. If you moved it up to the 1980s - Michael Douglas, c. Romancing the Stone - you could also add a 20-something Lawrence Fishburne as Pym's young doctoral student, aka Giant-Man. Carl Lumbley was in his early 30s when he was in Cagney & Lacy, but it's easy to say that people with the Super-Soldier serum age more slowly, so a veteran of the Korean War only looked 32 in 1985. I'm sure it'll never happen, but it's fun to think about.

I saw part of the new Superman and Lois the other night. And didn't watch the whole thing because it didn't interest me at all.

Tonight is a reboot of Kung Fu that I may give a shot to.

I've read the comic -and the prequel, Jupiter's Circle- and it's not bad. It certainly helps if you like Frank Quitely's art, which I waffle on.

I think there's a fundamental failure though, in that the old hero w/ the long white hair needs to scan as Superman to work - and he doesn't. He just doesn't. Maybe because of the long hair, I dunno. Maybe Superman could get a teeny bit sour in his old age, but not quite like that.

-Looks to be an unusually faithful adaption -or at least respectful of the source material- mind - probably worth seeing.

Apparently there is a Falcon & Winter Soldier show on Disney+ so I started watching that. Pretty good so far but I had to remind myself the exact context of everything, incl. the backstories of all the men in tights.

The new Captain America is interesting but feels weird. I feel like I don't know enough about the mythology here to really understand this show yet, but so far I'm entertained

"Apparently"? Did you miss all the discussion between Sommer, Egon and me? :)

Top Bottom