Tasty: Turkish Kebab

Zardnaar

Deity
Over here in New Zealand my favourite fast food is a Turkish Kebab. Its a pocket of pita bread filled with salad, hummus, tabuli, onion etc and generaly you can pick lamb, chicken, falafel, or some combination of the above as a filling.

They're also reasonably healthy and the meat is spit roasted so alot of the fat drips out. Onne of the Turkishrestaurants here cooks their chicken on a Charcoal grill. Most of them also do plate meals and the price here is about the same as a foot long sub or a McDonalds combo.

I know you can get kebabs in Australia as well but it seems the Americans don't get them:(

I always thought Kebabs were the meat on the sticks, at least here in America. Regardless, all Middle Eastern food is delicious, especially Lebanese and Turkish.

I always thought Kebabs were the meat on the sticks, at least here in America. Regardless, all Middle Eastern food is delicious, especially Lebanese and Turkish.

IN the Turkish restaurants thoase are called shish kebab and its what we throw on a BBQ. Lebanese food is great as well along with Greek.

Heres a link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Döner_kebab_in_the_world

I've also tried arabic and Iranian varients. They're all good.

IN the Turkish restaurants thoase are called shish kebab and its what we throw on a BBQ. Lebanese food is great as well along with Greek.

Wiki says it's the meat on the stick, but there are many kinds of kebabs. What I understand to be shish kebab is cubes of meat and vegetables grilled.

I forget the exact name of what you're talking about, but they have it at a couple of the really good Lebanese restaurants in the Washington area.

Is a corn dog a type of kebab?

No over here a corn dog is called a hot dog. A hot dog that the yanks are used to are known as American Hot Dogs. Guess what I'm having for dinner soon. They're known as Doner Kebabs for the Turkish ones and they're not to authentic as back home they have their own way of doing the kebabs.

Over here in New Zealand my favourite fast food is a Turkish Kebab. Its a pocket of pita bread filled with salad, hummus, tabuli, onion etc and generaly you can pick lamb, chicken, falafel, or some combination of the above as a filling.

They're also reasonably healthy and the meat is spit roasted so alot of the fat drips out. Onne of the Turkishrestaurants here cooks their chicken on a Charcoal grill. Most of them also do plate meals and the price here is about the same as a foot long sub or a McDonalds combo.

I know you can get kebabs in Australia as well but it seems the Americans don't get them:(

:lol: In england they are lauded and unhealthy and lowerclass.

You buy one when drunk and staggering home.. you can't buy one during the day, a kebab shop only opens at night!

kebab is the meat.
Shish kebab is the meat on sticks
Döner kebab is the meat with the hot sauce and salads and all in a bread.
Dürüm kebab is the meat with the hot sauce and salads and all in a 'tortilla wrap' (no corn bread).

That is how I would define it. And yes, they are delicious. The last two originated in Berlin with the Turkish community there. Traditionally, the food would all be served seperately on a platter. Now you could pick it up on the street and eat it wherever, it became fast food.

I'm not sure if it was a kebab but it was Iranian, and I had it in Qatar. It was one long ass peice of mutton and chicken like a 2 feet long actually longer on a bed of rice. Not sure what thats called.

Shish kebab, typically American:

What zardnaar is calling a Turkish kebab. I know it as gyros, from my time in Germany:

Another variant known as gyros:

The local variant, only more salad and wrapped in wax paper not foil (ugh) known as a schwarma:

The basis for all these sandwiches, the tower o' meat on the street:

Mmmmmmmmmm, unsanitary!

So many happy memories.
When I was an undergraduate, one of my housemates always used to buy two doner kebabs on the way home. He'd eat one and have the other for breakfast the next day, while he was mocking me for doing a fry-up.

kebab is the meat.
Dürüm kebab is the meat with the hot sauce and salads and all in a 'tortilla wrap' (no corn bread).

That is how I would define it. And yes, they are delicious. The last two originated in Berlin with the Turkish community there. Traditionally, the food would all be served seperately on a platter. Now you could pick it up on the street and eat it wherever, it became fast food.

Same here, except I've heard Dürüm kebab being called Dürüm Döner.

kebab is the meat.

same for me...though when I talk about a kebab I usually mean a Döner Kebab....

and Dürüm's are my favorite :yummy:

You buy one when drunk and staggering home.. you can't buy one during the day, a kebab shop only opens at night!

The kebab shop near me (I say near, it's two doors away...) actually fries the meat in onions and tomatoes and stuff, rather than just chopping it off the spitroast. It's still disgustingly greasy and unhealthy though. Which is what makes it so damn tasty :drool:

Now i'm hungry.
That's odd - over here they are regarded as MUCH healthier than mcdonalds / kfc / whatever.
(Except for that time they found sperm from 3 different people in a mayonaise bottle at a local large kebab shop. They didn't put it in the kebabs tho, it was one of those bottles that sit on everytable that you use if you want extra.Good thing i never eat mayo)

Oh and lowerclass food rules. :D

Yeah you do that here as well. They aren't regarded as a poor man food here they're just food. A Kebab averages around $7 USD here or less for a small one.

I had one for dinner tonight and payed $4.60 USD roughly for a salad with hummus, tabuli, falafel and bread for my friend. I had a chicken falafel kebab. Dubai Vol the second picture is similar to what we ger over here but they're alot thicker and the top usually has alot of hummus on it.

Turkish places aren't particuly unsanitary over here as its compulsory to havethe health dept check your food premises and they get rated as A,B,C,D. A is excellent, B is good, C is average, D is bad clean up ASAP (witrhen 24 hours) or we shut you down.

McDonalds here usually has an A, turkish places average B and C, KFC gets D's every now and them and has to shut down for a day. Asian restaurants also get D'd alot so Kebabs are cleaner than most fast food except for McDonalds. The kebab store I go to I worked there last year. I used to get a plate of Iskander every day in the middle of winter and the owner had a stonebake oven and made his bread daily. I also saw the quality of the meat dropped off and it was fine- basically what you get at the supermarket.

Speak for yourself, sonny. I used to live in the Turkish part of North London and I love the food. Yes, kebabs are great when you're coming home from the pub at night. But you can buy any kind of kebab all day. There's nothing unhealthy about them and in fact make a balanced meal of meat, veg and pita bread. You call it "lower class". I call it working class and damn proud of it.:goodjob:

Top Bottom