1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Teaching game 2 noobs and a teacher vs. Monarch

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by Shusaku, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Shusaku

Shusaku Chieftain

Usually, in the games I played, I build a worker as soon as possible. Even with that, I'm ending up in a good position. So, is it bad? I'm not very sure... cause, yes, it will slow your city's growth at the beggining. But then, you can improve some tiles with it. so, in the long run, it ends up, I think, to the same as if we decided to build a warrior first. No?

2. Dem Taqat

Dem Taqat Bladespawn

No.
    It's Much better. :p
    The worker doesn't come out much faster at size 2, as you can add only 1 food/hammer to it's production at best. However improving terrain allows you to grow much faster, and then build a warrior faster, and have improvements afterwards. Worker first is almost always the most efficiant way to start, unless you lack worker techs.

DT
    Dispensing Wisdom :old:

3. babybluepants

babybluepants Deity GOTM Staff

NO

Are we gonna actually play this game? :whipped:

4. Shusaku

Shusaku Chieftain

Good idea. Okay, so we settle to get the wine. What will we do with the warrior?

5. Dem Taqat

Dem Taqat Bladespawn

Have him generally circle around you capital, grabbing huts of oppertunity, and using defensive terrain/ hills to stay alive and see far. Then explore potential city sites and chokepoints as well as keeping an eye out for ene-neighbours.

DT

6. Shusaku

Shusaku Chieftain

I meant, where shall we move him this turn?

7. Dem Taqat

Dem Taqat Bladespawn

Towards the hut i'd say. We don't want some other nasty civ, i mean pleasant neighbor, abducting, i meant convinceing to emigrate, the people in our homelands.

DT

8. Shusaku

Shusaku Chieftain

Okay no problem with that. This way we can get some stuff to go in war with euh... to live peacefully with the other civilizations.

By the way, where are the glue sniffer and the other noobie? Hello, anyone???

9. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

You'll have to badger Neil from time to time with PMs (especially now he's in micro-heaven with SGOTM-12), though a full set may bring him out of the bushes.

10. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

Sorry guys, I've been on holiday.

As bbp says, worker first, nearly always. The only time worker first is not the best idea is when you start on a PH and have seafood resources (even then, it depends on the resources you have)

Warrior should go direct to the hut, then I would probably follow the river west, moving onto the hill squares to maximise the viewing, if you see huts, go get them. Otherwise continue to the west and circle around our cap to the south.

We can see a few nice FP tiles to the west, these are the best tiles we can we so far that will not be in the caps BFC, so lets go and see what else is there.

11. Fellow

Fellow Chieftain

I am here as well... just waiting for you to make your move as the discussion going one left or right with the warrior seamed ... useless

12. Liquidated

Liquidated Goofed Up on Cough Syrup!

Prolly better to have a vet start (just lurking!) and explain the opening steps you take in detail.

Whatever!

Cheers!
    -Liq'd

13. neilmeister

I'm happy to play the first turnset, to get us started

14. babybluepants

15. neilmeister

turn 0:
    I replicated the first turn using the save attached to the thread.

turn 1:
    Delhi founded 2S of the original start, on the riverside plains.

We start work on a settler, ready in 15 turns. Our best resource available is the Cow, which requires us to research Animal Husbandry (AH). We could choose several routes to get to AH, via Hunting or Agriculture. As there are no camp resources visible, it makes sense to go the Agricutlure route.
    Spoiler :

turn2:
    the gods have smiled on us, we just popped BW from the hut. No revolution to slavery yet, as this will cost us 1 turn to produce the worker and we are obviously not in a position to whip anything.
    Spoiler :

turn 4:
    our warrior reveals some fur. If this was visible from our BFC, or nearer, it could have been sensible to research Hunting on the way to AH, but as it stands, we will continue with Agriculture.

turn 5:
    our warrior reveals more fur, but much more excitingly, Copper.
    Spoiler :

turn 6:
    Delhi pops its borders, and reveals several resources. Stone to the south, Silk and more Wine to the east.

turn 7-9:
    warrior reveals more green land, coast and rice.
    we learn Agriculture

Spoiler :

I stop now, very early, so that everyone can reflect on the save.

This is probably what I would do:
    - we should continue with AH. The cow is our caps best tile for now.
    - farm a FP when the worker is finished. He should then be ready to do the Cow.
    - after the worker, produce a warrior
    - after AH, go for Wheel->Pottery. For the roads/granaries/cottages and to lead us to Writing.

16. Liquidated

Liquidated Goofed Up on Cough Syrup!

About your comment on not revolting to slavery, Gandhi is spiritual so no anarchy. Just mentioning to the thread though that there's no rush to slavery if you have events on, because those slave revolts can cripple you early on.

Getting early BW from a hut is super nice, especially when there's copper close by.

Cheers!
    -Liq

17. neilmeister

Thats what I thought when we got BW, how nice is that.

Thanks for the heads-up about Gandhi, totally forgot.

18. Dem Taqat

Dem Taqat Bladespawn

Important note-Rember your traits and uniques, never know when you might need 'em :p

Thats not bad land, and I pretty much agree on what to do next, but can't say much else until more scouting is done.

DT
    Reveiwing the Set :hmm:

19. babybluepants

20. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

First thoughts on the land: the southern desert could either be a big boon or a massive hindrance, depending on how inhabited the eastern is. If you're alone up there, and it's fairly extensive then you'll have a nice back yard to settle into without any big border tension problems to the south.
    On the other hand if you've an eastern neighbour then it could get cramped, as that desert belt will inhibit settling South (due to uselessness). In that case I would consider chloroforming Gandhi and going off a viking (i.e. chop/slave a few axes and take your neighbour's cities).

Dot-map: Ok it's way too early for this but at the moment the best citie sites IMO are 1NE of the silk on the river, between the copper and the furs in the NW and 1E of the wine in the fog. But more scouting is needed. And because of this and what I said above I would prioritise the East for scouting over the South. You can settle the East now, you need to know if it's inhabited and the South is a natural barrier.

Development: For now I'd farm the Flood Plains (until pottery), hook up the cows (at Agri), farm the grassland, and mine the hills. This is looking like a good Beauro capital with the five floodplains, plenty of good grassland farms and a happines resource that gives + ? gold. You've also a decent amount of hammers for production and the cows as well. This would have been a great start for a FIN leader (not saying it's bad for you though).

If I'm hijacking the thread tell me stop. But these are my initial thoughts.